Yetur Gross-Matos

timb2

Reaction score
He is my prediction to be the first round pick for the Cowboys

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Every player has negatives. However, I am not certain his negatives are worth the pick. Or moving down 8 slots to get him and pass on A.J. Epenesa

Yetur Gross-Matos

Positives
Very athletic, explosive pass rusher who can be used out of a three-point stance or standing over tackle. Plays with terrific pad level, gets leverage on opponents and shows great quickness. Easily changes direction, displays speed out into space and effectively pursues ball carriers down the field. Slices to the inside of bigger tackles, works his hands throughout the action and has a closing burst of speed. Immediately alters his angle of attack, redirects to the action and shows the ability to bend off the edge. Gets a lot of momentum going up the field and can be tough to stop. Resilient and works hard. Rarely off his feet.

Negatives
Lacks bulk and gets outpositioned from the action by a single blocker. Often too intent to rush up the field and overruns the action. Will struggle to stack against the run early in his NFL career.

Analysis
Gross-Matos is an explosive pass-rushing prospect with a high upside, but he needs to round off the edges of his game. He shows terrific movement skills to make plays in space as well as bend the edge, but he must get stronger and consistently play at a high level. Gross-Matos comes with tremendous upside, though there may be bumps in the road early in his NFL career.

A.J. Epenesa

Positives
Explosive, ferocious defensive lineman who is solid in all areas of the position. Instinctive, quickly reads and diagnoses the action and remains disciplined with assignments. Does more than just pin his ears back and rush up the field and plays with a violent attitude. Fast up the field, explosive, and can be an overwhelming force. Breaks down well and plays with proper pad level.

Flashes great hand technique to consistently protect himself and disengage from blocks. Attacks quarterbacks, displays solid movement skills, and easily changes direction. Quick, always on balance, and plays with terrific body control. Plays with power in his lower body.

Negatives
Must develop more moves. Often gets knocked from the point by a single blocker. Not quick or fluid when asked to twist or stunt. Lacks a great first step off the snap. Not a true edge rusher.

Analysis
Epenesa presented himself as an overwhelming force at times over the past two years. He’s a well-rounded defensive end rather than a pure edge rusher and could grow into a starter in either a three or four-man line. Epenesa possesses terrific upside and should only improve with more experience and technique training.

tm1119

Reaction score
I think he’s a lot like Trey Flowers. Solid 7/8 sack a year DE that can play the run as well...but does he have any special traits? Ehh I’m really not sure. Trade down to past the 22 area and I’m interested, but don’t see him being best available at 17 in any scenario.

cowboyec

Reaction score
im a fan.
every penn st game i watched...he was always in the QBs face or around the ball.
very active.
good vs the run.
great back story.
love his size.
helluva player in my opinion.

im not taking him over Henderson,Chaisson or one of those top WRs...but if those guys are gone...we could do worse.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's not too bad. I like the Trey Flowers comparison above, and I think he's got some Demarcus Lawrence to his game. I'd rather take a swing at Chaisson at #17, but YGM is a solid prospect.

RandyOh

Reaction score
I like him if we trade back. Think he can be a Trey Flowers or Carlos Dunlap level of talent. Constant 7 to 9 sacks a year and very solid against the run.

Gaede

Reaction score
Not a big fan at 17. He seems like a Taco to me, not in terms of attitude. Just because he doesn't seem like anything special.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don’t think this draft is that special. Except for receivers and offensive tackles there is really no depth. If you want a special player at 17 you might have to draft a tackle or wide receiver at 17. I would not be opposed to it. The tackle can play guard next season or the receiver can play slot.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I don’t think this draft is that special. Except for receivers and offensive tackles there is really no depth. If you want a special player at 17 you might have to draft a tackle or wide receiver at 17. I would not be opposed to it. The tackle can play guard next season or the receiver can play slot.

100% correct on that. You have a ton of wr’s, a great group of OT which has been weak in the last 3-4 years, and then you have a couple 1st rd players at each position then a big drop off. Imo this is a good year to trade up from 17 if you are unsure if your guy won’t be there.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
100% correct on that. You have a ton of wr’s, a great group of OT which has been weak in the last 3-4 years, and then you have a couple 1st rd players at each position then a big drop off. Imo this is a good year to trade up from 17 if you are unsure if your guy won’t be there.
The issue is the Joneses make trades like fans would. I wish we had a real GM. Maybe a trade down and draft a solid player we can plug and play.

morasp

Reaction score
He's ranked right at 17 and sounds like a good football player with good production against good competition at a position of need. Definitely not a Taco type.

Overview
Ascending 4-3 defensive end who should go from good size to imposing frame as he fills out his power-forward body type. He isn't overly twitchy but impressive length, fluidity and short-area athleticism allow him consistent work-arounds against opposing blockers. He's average at the point of attack by NFL standards, but that should change with additional strength work and more efficient hand usage. The rush toolbox is only halfway full, but it's just a matter of time before his spin move and a speed-to-power charge become part of a diversified attack. Gross-Matos should be an early starter, but when the power and skill catch up with the athleticism, look for him to become one of the more productive defenders in the league.
Strengths

• Prototypical combination of size, athleticism and agility
  • Loose hips with short-area athleticism of a linebacker
  • Breaks down and plays under control in the backfield
  • Posted 35 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks as two-year starter
  • Rangy chaser down the line of scrimmage
  • Quick cross-face stunts to disrupt the gaps
  • Easily crow-hops over cut block attempts
  • Adequate upfield rush burst
  • Has some hip flip to trim the edge
  • Shows bull rush then and hits switch to inside counter
  • Active to reignite secondary rush
  • Twists are fluid and fast
  • Good job of working back under tackles at top of the rush

Gaede

Reaction score
He's ranked right at 17 and sounds like a good football player with good production against good competition at a position of need. Definitely not a Taco type.

Overview
Ascending 4-3 defensive end who should go from good size to imposing frame as he fills out his power-forward body type. He isn't overly twitchy but impressive length, fluidity and short-area athleticism allow him consistent work-arounds against opposing blockers. He's average at the point of attack by NFL standards, but that should change with additional strength work and more efficient hand usage. The rush toolbox is only halfway full, but it's just a matter of time before his spin move and a speed-to-power charge become part of a diversified attack. Gross-Matos should be an early starter, but when the power and skill catch up with the athleticism, look for him to become one of the more productive defenders in the league.
Strengths

• Prototypical combination of size, athleticism and agility
  • Loose hips with short-area athleticism of a linebacker
  • Breaks down and plays under control in the backfield
  • Posted 35 tackles for loss and 17.5 sacks as two-year starter
  • Rangy chaser down the line of scrimmage
  • Quick cross-face stunts to disrupt the gaps
  • Easily crow-hops over cut block attempts
  • Adequate upfield rush burst
  • Has some hip flip to trim the edge
  • Shows bull rush then and hits switch to inside counter
  • Active to reignite secondary rush
  • Twists are fluid and fast
  • Good job of working back under tackles at top of the rush

That's a good write-up, but I don't see the athleticism, and that's why I said he reminds me of Taco. Obviously, I'm not an expert and know nothing, but he doesn't wow me, which is what I expect from a RE. Taco's a dumb comparison on my part. I think he's a Lawrence-type player for a few years, which isn't bad, but I want more from this draft

morasp

Reaction score
That's a good write-up, but I don't see the athleticism, and that's why I said he reminds me of Taco. Obviously, I'm not an expert and know nothing, but he doesn't wow me, which is what I expect from a RE. Taco's a dumb comparison on my part. I think he's a Lawrence-type player for a few years, which isn't bad, but I want more from this draft
Pont taken, I actually didn't see your comment about Taco. Some people don't like Chaisson either but I would take him ahead of Gross-Matos.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Trade down and take him at the end of the first if you want to take him but even then I probably stay away. No way I’m taking this guy at 17. I ditto the Taco comps