Yo Rack...I Know We Have Touted Carpenter

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
But...

244466.jpg

I'd say that's about twelve freakin' feet.

Wouldn't you, bra?

Woods

Reaction score
I think he's blocked about 6-7 kicks in college . . . . surprise, surprise

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
But...

244466.jpg

I'd say that's about twelve freakin' feet.

Wouldn't you, bra?

I think if the Cowboys plan on moving to the NBA, we should draft Lawson.

:D

j/k. I like Lawson. This isn't an insult, but if his football ability were as good as his athletic ability, he'd easily be the #1 pick in the draft. He's not the type of LB we need, but I sure wouldn't complain if we drafted him.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
That pic'll plays tricks on ya...

while he does jump like a freak... the basketball goal is actually a little further away than it appears.

alancdc

Reaction score
I watched EVERY State game that was on TV the past few years, and I really think that Lawson is a bust waiting to happen. I'm tellin ya he is an athletic freak, but the production just wasn't there in college. The more I read about Carpenter, SI this week, the more I like that kid. I can't help but to think that he will go to somewhere like Pittsburg that loves tough players and I will end up hating him for the next 10 years instead of cheering for him with a star on his jersey. I didn't realize his Dad was Rob Carpenter. Tough SOB in his day.

30yrheel

Reaction score
alancdc said:
I watched EVERY State game that was on TV the past few years, and I really think that Lawson is a bust waiting to happen. I'm tellin ya he is an athletic freak, but the production just wasn't there in college. The more I read about Carpenter, SI this week, the more I like that kid. I can't help but to think that he will go to somewhere like Pittsburg that loves tough players and I will end up hating him for the next 10 years instead of cheering for him with a star on his jersey. I didn't realize his Dad was Rob Carpenter. Tough SOB in his day.

I tend to think the same. I'm a UNC fan and Lawson, or for that matter Williams, were always dominated in the games I saw. I believe in production, not just athletic ability.

Reaction score
Qwickdraw said:
That pic'll plays tricks on ya...

while he does jump like a freak... the basketball goal is actually a little further away than it appears.

Wow, how did you conclude that???:confused:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm slowly becoming a Carpenter fan again, as I was 4 months ago. I really do hope we draft him, and get on with finding a better NT and a FS for the Future. Lawson I do like alot, but he is skinny and guys like Merriman were NFL ready mainly because of their size...

Merriman was listed at 6'4 and 253 coming out
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2005/merriman_shawne
and Carp is 6'3 256 , and they both ran a 4.66 but Carpenter is was still rehabing the injury... So I know Mr Lawson is an athletic freak, but I'll go with the Merriman Twin.

alancdc

Reaction score
You don't have to look any further than the State/UNC game this year. At home, State up, I think 24-10 in the 3rd quarter, and couldn't get UNC off the field. They ran right down there throats. If you look back particularily at Williams sacks look where he got them. I think like 4 against Wake Forest, maybe 3-4 against Souther Miss, and another few against Maryland. He got all his sacks in like 3 games. Neither Lawson or Williams showed up in games that "mattered". They both get caught up in the middle too much, and for a D-LINE that might have 3 players, add McCargo drafter in the first round they were a very average deffense. I would throw up in my 1977 Dallas Cowboy trashcan if we took Lawson at 18. Funny thing is some poor team might take him before us!

VoR

Reaction score
alancdc said:
Carpenter will probably be the pick and he's going to be very good.
However, to say Lawson wasn't productive in college is just total BS!
Either you didn't really watch the games you said you did or you just didn't pay attention.

Carpenter's stats in college:
147 tackles
14.5 sacks
27.5 tackles for loss

Lawson's:
191 tackles
19.5 sacks
38.5 tackles for loss

So if Lawson didn't have college production and he had better stats than Carpenter, then what does that make Carpenter? Even more un-productive??:rolleyes:
And they both only started 2 years (actually Carpenter started 3 games as a sophomore).

Reaction score
VoR said:
Either you didn't really watch the games you said you did or you just didn't pay attention.

Carpenter's stats in college:
147 tackles
14.5 sacks
27.5 tackles for loss

Lawson's:
191 tackles
19.5 sacks
38.5 tackles for loss

So if Lawson didn't have college production and he had better stats than Carpenter, then what does that make Carpenter? Even more un-productive??:rolleyes:
And they both only started 2 years (actually Carpenter started 3 games as a sophomore).

I'm in ACC land so I've seen the guy play and he's a beast!!!

30yrheel

Reaction score
VoR said:

Carpenter's stats in colege:
147 tackles
14.5 sacks
27.5 tackles for loss

Lawson's:
191 tackles
19.5 sacks
38.5 tackles for loss

I watch a lot of ACC games. State always plays cupcakes and that's where Lawson got his stats. When they played decent teams, even UNC, he got rolled over.

Reaction score
30yrheel said:
I watch a lot of ACC games. State always plays cupcakes and that's where Lawson got his stats. When they played decent teams, even UNC, he got rolled over.

Lmaooooooo...so when the likes of Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and T.O. played in college they were up against "cup cake" schools, so what's your point??? :rolleyes:

alancdc

Reaction score
I don't think you can compare Lawson who was turned loose on every play to go upfield to sack the QB. You can make stats say what you want, but unless you saw as many games as I did you have no idea what we went through as State fans watching this "GREAT" deffensive line get driven up and down the field like they had a steering wheel on their chest. I hate to agree with a Tarheel fan, but he is right. State played a horrible schedule. If they had played a Big 10 schedule you wouldn't even be hearing Lawson's name. The guy from The NFL Network, Mayock, has Lawson rated as a 3RD round tallent, and even as a State fan I tend to agree.

Woods

Reaction score
alancdc said:
I don't think you can compare Lawson who was turned loose on every play to go upfield to sack the QB. You can make stats say what you want, but unless you saw as many games as I did you have no idea what we went through as State fans watching this "GREAT" deffensive line get driven up and down the field like they had a steering wheel on their chest. I hate to agree with a Tarheel fan, but he is right. State played a horrible schedule. If they had played a Big 10 schedule you wouldn't even be hearing Lawson's name. The guy from The NFL Network, Mayock, has Lawson rated as a 3RD round tallent, and even as a State fan I tend to agree.

I really appreciate your point of view.

I think when discussing prospects, it's great to hear both sides.

30yrheel

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80 said:
Lmaooooooo...so when the likes of Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and T.O. played in college they were up against "cup cake" schools, so what's your point??? :rolleyes:

My point is simple- I watched him play plenty of games and he did not dominate a single one. Now, he was a beast on special teams. If you want to spend a 1 st on a special teams player, go ahead. I think we all get caught up in a guys athletic ability too much.
Oh, and those guys you named DID dominate in college.

alancdc

Reaction score
You also can't compare small schools playing EACH OTHER. Of course there are exceptions like a Payton, Rice etc, but those were small school teams playing other small school teams. State is a D1 team playing Western Carolina, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky.... Again, I blead Wolfpack RED, and I am agreeing with a Tarheel fan about their schedule.... I have to go now to take a shower! ;)

30yrheel

Reaction score
alancdc said:
You also can't compare small schools playing EACH OTHER. Of course there are exceptions like a Payton, Rice etc, but those were small school teams playing other small school teams. State is a D1 team playing Western Carolina, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky.... Again, I blead Wolfpack RED, and I am agreeing with a Tarheel fan about their schedule.... I have to go now to take a shower! ;)

I'm not trying to bash the Wolfpack, but they did underachieve.
Maybe all Lawson needs is good coaching? Never have been impressed with Chuckie.;)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Saying he wasn't productive is simply wrong, look at his stats. Saying his stats are skewed because of the teams he plays is ridiculous. His stats are identical to Ware's and if you look at Ware's schedule I guarantee there's a few teams that you didn't even know exist.

If you don't like Lawson this year, you probably didn't like Ware last year. If you don't like Ware, then I've got nothing for you.