Yo Rack...I Know We Have Touted Carpenter

30yrheel

Reaction score
theogt said:
Saying he wasn't productive is simply wrong, look at his stats. Saying his stats are skewed because of the teams he plays is ridiculous. His stats are identical to Ware's and if you look at Ware's schedule I guarantee there's a few teams that you didn't even know exist.

If you don't like Lawson this year, you probably didn't like Ware last year. If you don't like Ware, then I've got nothing for you.

You have a good point, but I can't compare the two because I didn't see Ware play in college. I saw Lawson numerous times on TV and in person and I saw a guy with tremendous speed, but not making plays. Like I said to our State friend earlier, maybe it was poor coaching, I don't know.:D

alancdc

Reaction score
then I've got nothing for you.?????????
What do you have for me if I did like Ware last year? Look man. We all have different opinions. I am simply saying THAT I DID WATCH ALL HIS GAMES OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS, AND I DON'T THINK HE WILL BE A GOOD PRO. I NEVER, REPEAT NEVER, saw Ware play, but did see Lawson EVERY Saturday. Question is, DID YOU SEE HIM PLAY A GAME, OR DO YOU JUST LIKE THE WAY HE RUNS AND JUMPS IN SHORTS AND A T-SHIRT. If you know so much, and are so hostile to other peoples opinions why don't you give Jerry a call and maybe he will give you a job scouting.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
alancdc said:
If they had played a Big 10 schedule you wouldn't even be hearing Lawson's name. The guy from The NFL Network, Mayock, has Lawson rated as a 3RD round tallent, and even as a State fan I tend to agree.

You have to be insane. You don't think Lawson is the greatest talent available in this draft? How can you say that?

What's that? You have probably watched him more than most of the bandwagon riders?

Oh. Well, that's different.:D

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
alancdc said:
then I've got nothing for you.?????????
What do you have for me if I did like Ware last year? Look man. We all have different opinions. I am simply saying THAT I DID WATCH ALL HIS GAMES OVER THE PAST 3 YEARS, AND I DON'T THINK HE WILL BE A GOOD PRO. I NEVER, REPEAT NEVER, saw Ware play, but did see Lawson EVERY Saturday. Question is, DID YOU SEE HIM PLAY A GAME, OR DO YOU JUST LIKE THE WAY HE RUNS AND JUMPS IN SHORTS AND A T-SHIRT. If you know so much, and are so hostile to other peoples opinions why don't you give Jerry a call and maybe he will give you a job scouting.
i.e., respect, desire to listen to your opinion, etc.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hopefully Lawson will be gone before #18 and we won't have to worry about it. ;)

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Only concern I would have with Lawson is his ability to hold up against the run and making the switch from DE to OLB. Just like Ware last season Lawson will have a lot more responsibilities as a LB than he did as a DE such as pass coverage and again stopping the run, playing that position is more than just rushing the passer. Myself I would prefer a guy like Carpenter over Lawson because he does not have to learn a new position.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101 said:
Only concern I would have with Lawson is his ability to hold up against the run and making the switch from DE to OLB. Just like Ware last season Lawson will have a lot more responsibilities as a LB than he did as a DE such as pass coverage and again stopping the run, playing that position is more than just rushing the passer. Myself I would prefer a guy like Carpenter over Lawson because he does not have to learn a new position.

Exactly.

I'm on the Carpenter bandwagon.

alancdc

Reaction score
i.e., respect, desire to listen to your opinion, etc.
Then, I LOVED Ware last year. My question is DID YOU SEE HIM PLAY IN A GAME @ NC STATE? If not, how can you INTELLIGENTLY take a stand absolutley that he is a player? I am simply saying that I like Carpenter, and think Lawson has made himself a lot of money because he can run a fast 40 with shorts and a t-shirt on WHILE NO ONE IS BLOCKING HIM.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
alancdc said:
and think Lawson has made himself a lot of money because he can run a fast 40 with shorts and a t-shirt on WHILE NO ONE IS BLOCKING HIM.
Many people said the same about OLB/DE from Maryland last year. All he had was 8.5 sacks, but then at the combine and pro day he's a marvel. The guy went on to become the Def Rookie of the year. Its hard to look at what a guy did in college and without projecting his game determine what type of pro he will be. Merriman had more sacks last year than any year during his college tenure. If I'm not mistaken, he missed a couple of games and didn't start until the mid way point.

I think Lawson was just as productive in college as Merriman. Will he be as good a pro as Merriman, don't no. Last year I was all over Merriman, now I'm glad we have Ware. Between the three, Lawson, Carpenter and Wimbely I think we will get the right one. I'd be happy with any of the three.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I have to admit I drank the Lawson Kool-Aid for a while. I am now coming to my senses again. It's not that I don't want him, he'd be OK. I am now moving more to Wimbley/Carpenter.

I also touted Carpenter from the start.

Bottom line for me, we need a Strong Side LBer. I do not want someone undersized getting blown up by TE's and FB's on power runs. Let's get a prototypical LB who will not give up cheap yards on runs, and is at least decent on blitzes.

If we end up taking Lawson......
Mr. Ware needs to find the closest gym and starting pumping up so he can take over the Strong side. Lawson is a WLB or speed rushing DE in a 4-3.... imo. Since we no longer run the 4-3, he would need to play Ware's current position. Not the best fit, again imo.

DiscipleofTuna

Reaction score
I would pick Burnett over Lawson all day, every day opposite Ware. Now if we didnt have Ware.... thats another story.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
The problem with Burnett is that he is injury prone, and we are not sure how he will return because he had season ending surgery last year.

Sandman52

Reaction score
But is Carpenter really worth the #18? Teams will think Lawson/Wimbley will be mid-1st picks because scouts love potential in athletic freaks.

I don't care who we get of the three as long as the team feels they are right for the position. But if Lawson, Wimbley, and Carpenter are all still available at #18, you try your best to drop down a 'lil' lower.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Sandman52 said:
But is Carpenter really worth the #18? Teams will think Lawson/Wimbley will be mid-1st picks because scouts love potential in athletic freaks.

I don't care who we get of the three as long as the team feels they are right for the position. But if Lawson, Wimbley, and Carpenter are all still available at #18, you try your best to drop down a 'lil' lower.

Can't move too far. There are a couple of 3-4 teams behind us, all with LB needs.
Specifically SF and NE.

Woods

Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Can't move too far. There are a couple of 3-4 teams behind us, all with LB needs.
Specifically SF and NE.

And I think the Giants are interested in Carpenter as well, since he can play in the 4-3 defense as well.

I think we take either Wembley or Carpenter at 18. Either is fine by me.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He was voted defensive MVP by his team. Over Williams.

I didn't watch the guy play much but evidently his teammates thought highly of him.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Woods said:
And I think the Giants are interested in Carpenter as well, since he can play in the 4-3 defense as well.

I think we take either Wembley or Carpenter at 18. Either is fine by me.

Yup...good point.
Although if they sign Arrington, all bets are off.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Canadian BoyzFan said:
Yup...good point.
Although if they sign Arrington, all bets are off.

I agree.

Signing Arrington might make them go after a runningback or offensive tackle.