You are the culture you create

CCBoy

Reaction score
2. You are the culture you create

First, I like Marvin Lewis. A great deal. Good man. Good human being.

But I don't think there's any question Lewis hasn't done enough to curb nasty behavior from some of his players. Yes, the Bengals aren't the only team with culture issues. Yes, the Steelers players weren't angels, either. Yes, yes, yes. Glad we got that out of the way.

The problem is, the Bengals' history with on-field and off-field issues goes back years under Lewis. It's all well-chronicled. A great example is solid citizen Vontaze Burfict. It wasn't just the cheap shot he delivered against the Steelers.

Go back one week earlier in a game against the Ravens. This hit by Burfict is just totally inexcusable:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...point-stance-the-worst-era-to-be-an-nfl-coach

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I think culture is overrated. Sure its cool to have a good rkg culture. But the 90s cowboya where filled w gangstas. Guys stabbing other guys in the neck w scissors, james washington grabbing tripods swinging at opponnents, partying at the white house in cotton wood valley, guys showing their junk to female reports in the locker room ect. But the won and they where nasty!!

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think culture is overrated. Sure its cool to have a good rkg culture. But the 90s cowboya where filled w gangstas. Guys stabbing other guys in the neck w scissors, james washington grabbing tripods swinging at opponnents, partying at the white house in cotton wood valley, guys showing their junk to female reports in the locker room ect. But the won and they where nasty!!

Have you watched the hits by the linebacker on two consecutive weeks?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
There was nothing wrong w/ that hit....Infact he was trying to avoid it. If you had watched the game...you would have seen the Stealers got away w/ numerous calls. NFL wanted a marquee matchup of QBs...Manning vs Roethlisberger. They got it. Now the Stealers are gonna get the tables turned on them in the Mile High City. No way the league doesn't set up the last Brady vs Manning Bowl...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I agree.

The fact is that the Bengals were dead in that game with AJ McCarron at QB.

Burfict made a huge play by sacking Roethlisberger. It not only injured Roethlisberger, but gave the Bengals great field position to score. It completely changed the complexion of the game.

Then, Burfict makes an interception that should have ended the game. If Hill does not fumble, the entire hit by Burfict would have never happened.

To top if off, Roethlisberger comes back into the game and the Bengals decide to rush 3 and basically play prevent as they allowed everything underneath. You have a QB that was taken out of the game for likely separating his shoulder...playing in a heavy rain....and you say 'okay, we'll let him have these easy throws underneath.'

Even the Burfict hit, while brutal and the right call, wasn't the most malicious hit that has ever graced the game. He was clearly trying to hit Brown with his shoulder. Should he have done that? Probably not because even a hit with the shoulder is likely to be a penalty since Brown was 'defenseless.' But, it wasn't some LB trying to deliberately ram his helmet to a defenseless WR's helmet. He tried to hit him with the shoulder and he missed. If he didn't miss, it may not have been a penalty.

It is ridiculous that the refs did not see Joey Porter on the field and decided to only flag Pacman as well.

The Bengals lost because they didn't have Andy Dalton, Hill was dumb enough to not secure the ball when they had the game won, bad coaching when the Steelers got the ball back and a bad call on Pacman (should have given the Steelers the ball, 1st and 10 at about the 35 yard line off the Burfict penalty).

Chip Kelly praised 'culture' this offseason (might have gotten that advise from Jimmah) and look where it got him...most players were dancing in the streets that he's gone.

YR

foofighters

Reaction score
This is why I am big on leadership and have called out the organization for there lack of it. This team mirrors Jerry and Jason in many ways. Jerry talks about being one or two players away from a championship, he bumbles around being the eternal optimist and likes to excuse issues if he can. Then we see Weeden say stupid stuff like "Well, I did complete x amount of passes today (even though we lost and our looked like poo)." Our team can also look very uninspired and just hang around or keep the other team in it and put it together the last few minutes and win the game (or lose it like this year). Jason Garrett does not inspire me. He has shown us everything we are going to see out of him. We need both Jerry and Jason gone. Only then can the circus that surrounds this team finally be gone.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This is why I am big on leadership and have called out the organization for there lack of it. This team mirrors Jerry and Jason in many ways. Jerry talks about being one or two players away from a championship, he bumbles around being the eternal optimist and likes to excuse issues if he can. Then we see Weeden say stupid stuff like "Well, I did complete x amount of passes today (even though we lost and our looked like poo)." Our team can also look very uninspired and just hang around or keep the other team in it and put it together the last few minutes and win the game (or lose it like this year). Jason Garrett does not inspire me. He has shown us everything we are going to see out of him. We need both Jerry and Jason gone. Only then can the circus that surrounds this team finally be gone.

IMO, Jerry and Jason have done a good job with culture and leadership for the most part.

I don't doubt that the overall group of players are a good group of hardworking guys. I think our team is extremely hard working.

I've seen year after year where we fall short and it's in the strategic part of the game. We are putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage week after week by relying on elite talents to either impose their will in the run game or improvise in the passing game.