You Better Watch out

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I see no reason to be optimistic until Dak is signed. Having him on a tag leaves this team's future in question.

True, but it's a year away, a lot can happen, after 24 years of no Super Bowls, just having Dak (assuming he doesn't hold out) for this year, even if he's not a top-5 quarterback, is a good thing...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Can't do worse... Dak sucks[/QUOTE]

Dak has been amazing.[/QUOTE]

The truth is somewhere in between.

Even if Dak is not amazing, we've see SBs won with from horrid quarterback play, as in P. Manning's last SB winning season, a SB won with defense, as in the Pats' last one, so there's at least hope...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
True, but it's a year away, a lot can happen, after 24 years of no Super Bowls, just having Dak (assuming he doesn't hold out) for this year, even if he's not a top-5 quarterback, is a good thing...
Anything can happen until the July 15th deadline. After that, the negotiations end and we are stuck with paying a QB on the franchise tag. If Dak is okay with doing that in 2020 then why would he not be okay with doing that in 2021 as well? That is not a good thing... I'll explain.

Tom Brady just got a $50M contract for two years worth of work. What Dak is doing by settling for the tag salary for two years will cost the Cowboys over $50M and a third-year over an additional $40M. That won't happen but it does show where this is headed and it is a bad thing. The Cowboys have no financial stability as long as they are willing to allow Dak to hold this team hostage on that tag.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Anything can happen until the July 15th deadline. After that, the negotiations end and we are stuck with paying a QB on the franchise tag. If Dak is okay with doing that in 2020 then why would he not be okay with doing that in 2021 as well? That is not a good thing... I'll explain.

Tom Brady just got a $50M contract for two years worth of work. What Dak is doing by settling for the tag salary for two years will cost the Cowboys over $50M and a third-year over an additional $40M. That won't happen but it does show where this is headed and it is a bad thing. The Cowboys have no financial stability as long as they are willing to allow Dak to hold this team hostage on that tag.

Agreed, but I do think they will get a deal done before long, just the fact that they're talking after a long period of not talking leads me to believe JJ wants to get it done, and there's so many ways to structure a contract...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Agreed, but I do think they will get a deal done before long, just the fact that they're talking after a long period of not talking leads me to believe JJ wants to get it done, and there's so many ways to structure a contract...
Agreed, I just saw the news that both sides are talking again. This has to get done.