You can tell these folks never lived in Texas

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
87 degrees and the town goes crazy! :huh:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050527/D8ABR0KG0.html

First-Ever Seattle Heat Warning Issued
May 27, 7:41 PM (ET)
By DONNA GORDON BLANKINSHIP

SEATTLE (AP) - Make that an iced coffee. While the Northeast was bidding farewell to unseasonably chilly temperatures, Seattle residents dusted off the sunscreen and shorts Friday as the National Weather Service issued its first-ever heat advisory for the city.

The advisory covering the urban corridor from Tacoma north to Everett was prompted by a second day of record temperatures. Thursday's high temperature of 89 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport broke a 58-year-old record. A high of 87 was forecast for Friday.

Phyllis Cameron, 92, planned to keep cool with lots of iced tea and a few gin-and-tonics. "I'm just going to enjoy it on the chaise on my deck," said the lifelong Seattle resident.

The weather service, however, was advising that people should drink lots of water, stay indoors and out of the sun, and check on relatives and neighbors.

The advice didn't seem to be taking. Winter-pale flesh was on display in the city's parks, and the streets were packed with people drinking iced coffee instead of Seattle's trademark lattes.

Seattle is among the cities added this year to the weather service's excessive heat program. A heat advisory means conditions could lead to heat stress in some people and a warning indicates a higher possibility that people will get sick or die.

The organizers of the annual Northwest Folklife music festival welcomed the heat, which boosted attendance for the normally slow first day. Concertgoers crowded into Seattle Center, enjoying the music, the sun and a giant fountain shooting cool water 120 feet into the air.

Last year it rained, said Rafael Maslan, 20, a festival board member.

Meanwhile, residents in the Northeast were basking in the sun Friday after several days of rain, blustery winds and temperatures in the 40s and 50s. It was the third coldest May on record for New England, the National Weather Service said.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
They need to go down to the RGV in the middle of July when it's 120 :D

Or Avery Island in LA just about any time.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
It was 107 last Sunday here where I live.

But it's a "dry heat."

:puke:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
well it was 94 earlier this week and humid. and I need freon (sp?) cuz my AC is going out...

I'm sure you all can imagine my pain... :cool:

Duane

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
well it was 94 earlier this week and humid. and I need freon (sp?) cuz my AC is going out...

I'm sure you all can imagine my pain... :cool:
Yes I can. My Dad refused to have A/C in the house when I was growing up in Beaumont. So I lived a good 20+ years in a house in SE Texas with no A/C.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Try building a playground in 105 degree weather...

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Duane said:
Yes I can. My Dad refused to have A/C in the house when I was growing up in Beaumont. So I lived a good 20+ years in a house in SE Texas with no A/C.

I can't even fathom that.

Uggh.

Have you ever forgiven him?

Duane

Reaction score
Chief said:
I can't even fathom that.

Uggh.

Have you ever forgiven him?
Yeah, it wasn't like we had a whole lot of money growing up. Hell my Mom drove a 73 Tempest that had been wrecked for more than 15 years.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Duane said:
Yeah, you just might can...:)

The closest I've come to going an extended period w/o AC was when I was in undergrad and I was driving "The Dodge." This lil hatchback type thing that had no air. I went the whole summer w/all four windows down, hoping to get car jacked so I could get a new car w/ the insurance...:p:

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Duane said:

what did ya'll do to beat the heat duane? i cannot imagine not having a/c in texas.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
Yeah, you just might can...:)

The closest I've come to going an extended period w/o AC was when I was in undergrad and I was driving "The Dodge." This lil hatchback type thing that had no air. I went the whole summer w/all four windows down, hoping to get car jacked so I could get a new car w/ the insurance...:p:
Ahh yes 4 40 ac 4 windows 40 mph :D

jamez25

Reaction score
Hell my Mom drove a 73 Tempest that had been wrecked for more than 15 years.
Al Bundy woulda been proud....proud of WG and her Dodge too....

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't mind dry heat. I have been to NM to visit grandparents in the summer, and they always complain about the heat. Bah. In dry heat, your sweat does what it is supposed to - evaporate.

Here, it stays on you and just makes matters worse. I HATE HUMIDITY.

Duane

Reaction score
lanecity1975 said:
what did ya'll do to beat the heat duane? i cannot imagine not having a/c in texas.
We had about four box fans stuck in the windows so there was some circulation.

zorg222

nose picker
Reaction score
I found a similar one:D

First-Ever Canada Heat Warning Issued

SEATTLE (AP) - Make that an iced coffee. While the Northeast was bidding farewell to unseasonably chilly temperatures, Canada residents dusted off the sunscreen and shorts Friday as the National Weather Service issued its first-ever heat advisory for the city.

The advisory covering the urban corridor from Tacoma north to Everett was prompted by a second day of record temperatures. Thursday's high temperature of 22 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport broke a 58-year-old record. A high of 20 was forecast for Friday.

Phyllis Cameron, 92, planned to keep cool with lots of iced tea and a few gin-and-tonics. "I'm just going to enjoy it on the chaise on my deck," said the lifelong Seattle resident.

The weather service, however, was advising that people should drink lots of water, stay indoors and out of the sun, and check on relatives and neighbors.

The advice didn't seem to be taking. Winter-pale flesh was on display in the country's parks, and the streets were packed with people drinking iced coffee instead of Canada's trademark lattes.

Canadais among the cities added this year to the weather service's excessive heat program. A heat advisory means conditions could lead to heat stress in some people and a warning indicates a higher possibility that people will get sick or die.

The organizers of the annual Northwest Folklife music festival welcomed the heat, which boosted attendance for the normally slow first day. Concertgoers crowded into CanadaCenter, enjoying the music, the sun and a giant fountain shooting cool water 120 feet into the air.

Meanwhile, residents in the Northeast were basking in the sun Friday after several days of rain, blustery winds and temperatures in the 40s and 50s. It was the third coldest May on record for New England, the National Weather Service said.

Then all of a sudden, Zorg222 came and cooled everything off and saved the day.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
I learned when I visited family out in Portland a few summers back that they generally have the most delightful climate, if you can handle regular rain... it never gets too hot there (to the point that they consider 87-89 a "heat wave"), and it rarely gets too cold there in the winter... it seems like their temperatures swing from the low 50s for high in the winter, to perhaps low 80s in the summer... I found their weather to be much to my liking, though we got awfully lucky on that trip, and saw no rain at all over a 10 day span... just day after day after day of bright, clear sunshine, rarely much even in the way of clouds... and in early September, high to mid 70s pretty consistently...

I decided that but for the possibility of earthquakes, and the total inability to get a good cheeseburger ANYWHERE in the state (the legislature went berserk after that e coli scare some years back, and mandated that all beef be cooked until it's charred, basically), I could live out there...

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
87 degrees and the town goes crazy! :huh:

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050527/D8ABR0KG0.html

First-Ever Seattle Heat Warning Issued

SEATTLE (AP) - Make that an iced coffee. While the Northeast was bidding farewell to unseasonably chilly temperatures, Seattle residents dusted off the sunscreen and shorts Friday as the National Weather Service issued its first-ever heat advisory for the city.

The advisory covering the urban corridor from Tacoma north to Everett was prompted by a second day of record temperatures. Thursday's high temperature of 89 degrees at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport broke a 58-year-old record. A high of 87 was forecast for Friday.

The advice didn't seem to be taking. Winter-pale flesh was on display in the city's parks, and the streets were packed with people drinking iced coffee instead of Seattle's trademark lattes.

Seattle is among the cities added this year to the weather service's excessive heat program. A heat advisory means conditions could lead to heat stress in some people and a warning indicates a higher possibility that people will get sick or die.

The organizers of the annual Northwest Folklife music festival welcomed the heat, which boosted attendance for the normally slow first day. Concertgoers crowded into Seattle Center, enjoying the music, the sun and a giant fountain shooting cool water 120 feet into the air.

Pansies :mad: