You guys are some negative people

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think an even better idea is when someone wants to post sarcasm they do what some do and put sarcasm in quotes at the end and then it would be clear to everyone.
When people think there's a good chance it'll be misinterpreted, they often do that, but usually it's pretty obvious to people who are even vaguely familiar with the poster's history.

But something we used to do on the old forum I was on is we'd use purple to indicate sarcasm, when necessary. It was @Londonboy 's suggestion, and it worked pretty well. The only problem is that when you choose not to do it, then everyone misses the sarcasm, instead of the one or few.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
When people think there's a good chance it'll be misinterpreted, they often do that, but usually it's pretty obvious to people who are even vaguely familiar with the poster's history.

But something we used to do on the old forum I was on is we'd use purple to indicate sarcasm, when necessary. It was @Londonboy 's suggestion, and it worked pretty well. The only problem is that when you choose not to do it, then everyone misses the sarcasm, instead of the one or few.

Again there is a sure fire way where there is zero chance of mistake and that is simply put sarcasm in quotes at the end. Between here of the Cowboys site I've been posting well over a decade and do you think I sit and memorize everyone commenting styles? There are some that I've gotten to know but I don't put a huge priority on trying to remember over 500 user's styles.

Last edited:

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

No.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If someone post non sarcasm and sarcasm but you don't know this person we are to just magically guess what's sarcasm History is only good if you know the person, otherwise sarcasm can just come across as negative posting and history means nothing.
Is everyone supposed to change the way they express themselves for the sake of the one who doesn't know them, or should the newbie wait until he gets a better feel for the posters who frequent the site before making assumptions?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this.
If you are saying I am ignorant, then I have no use for you or your crap. sometimes it’s hard to tell what someone actually means so I won’t respond accordingly until you clarify it. If you can.
I thought the roll eyes thing was to show sarcasm. If it's not I've been reading people wrong for years.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Is everyone supposed to change the way they express themselves for the sake of the one who doesn't know them, or should the newbie wait until he gets a better feel for the posters who frequent the site before making assumptions?

I really don't care what you or anyone else does I only have stated an obvious truth. I see others leave a post for other users saying that last comment was sarcasm so I'm not the only one that has missed sarcasm. Also I didn'tt know putting sarcasm at the end was changing anyone's style. Gee will doing that not make it sarcasm? I know putting parentheses sarcasm parentheses at the end is such a monumental task for some. That's a whole 13 more characters and that could take an eternity of 1-2 seconds. {sarcasm}.

Darkhound

Reaction score
I understand that we haven’t won a SB in many years. I have been waiting just like you guys have.

We have assembled one hell of a good team. Some would say the deepest, most talented team in the league.

We may not have the best record in the league, but we could easily have a better record. Often the team with the best record does not win the super bowl.

I am expecting the Cowboys to walk into the Patriots house and give them a beat down. You guys may not. That’s fine, but this constant negativity is really a weak point of view.

Just get in the playoffs and see what happens. The Giants have two SBs when they clearly were an inferior team. If you get in you have a shot. And we have a better shot now than we have had in a long time.

Enjoy it and stop being such pansies.

Sir... with all due respect... its been 20+ yeara of mediocre football.... what do you expect?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I really don't care what you or anyone else does I only have stated an obvious truth. I see others leave a post for other users saying that last comment was sarcasm so I'm not the only one that has missed sarcasm. Also I didn'tt know putting sarcasm at the end was changing anyone's style. Gee will doing that not make it sarcasm? I know putting parentheses sarcasm parentheses at the end is such a monumental task for some. That's a whole 13 more characters and that could take an eternity of 1-2 seconds. {sarcasm}.
It's like the old saying, "If you have to explain it, it ruins the joke." It has nothing to do with the time or effort it takes. I notice you didn't explain that 'Gee will doing that not make it sarcasm?' was sarcasm...yet somehow I knew.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
It's like the old saying, "If you have to explain it, it ruins the joke." It has nothing to do with the time or effort it takes. I notice you didn't explain that 'Gee will doing that not make it sarcasm?' was sarcasm...yet somehow I knew.

See how wrong things can be taken. That sentence of "Gee will doing that not make it sarcasm?" wasn't sarcasm. When I was using sarcasm I did put the parentheses sarcasm parentheses. Gee wouldn't be nice if everyone had you gift of being able to tell sarcasm even when there wasn't any sarcasm.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
See how wrong things can be taken. That sentence of "Gee will doing that not make it sarcasm?" wasn't sarcasm. When I was using sarcasm I did put the parentheses sarcasm parentheses. Gee wouldn't be nice if everyone had you gift of being able to tell sarcasm even when there wasn't any sarcasm.
BS.....You know damned well that was sarcasm...unless you don't actually know what sarcasm is.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score

You're obviously not a, "read between the lines" person.

There's your "parentheses."

Last edited:

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You're obviously not a read between the lines person, I guess?

Reading between the lines and sarcasm are not necessarily the same thing. Reading between the lines is saying this and then that and then something else without coming right out and saying what you mean. You then have to read between the lines to understand what they are saying. Sarcasm is usually saying something that is the opposite of what you really think or feel. That's is why I've said so many times that to pick up on sarcasm in the written form especially if you don't know someone is so much harder than verbally. In written form you don't get body language, facial expressions, tone of voice or hand jesters which all of those things makes verbal sarcasm so much easier to pick up on.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
No it was an honest question or don;t you know what honest questions are?
Honest questions don't start with the word "Gee"......Not since they took Leave It To Beaver off the air.

By the way, "sarcasm" is usually the wrong word, since the true meaning of it has negative, biting connotations. It's not just the people on this site either. Most people use the word "sarcastic" when they actually mean "facetious". Sarcastic is rude, whereas facetious is joking.

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Reading between the lines and sarcasm are not necessarily the same thing. Reading between the lines is saying this and then that and then something else without coming right out and saying what you mean. You then have to read between the lines to understand what they are saying. Sarcasm is usually saying something that is the opposite of what you really think or feel. That's is why I've said so many times that to pick up on sarcasm in the written form especially if you don't know someone is so much harder than verbally. In written form you don't get body language, facial expressions, tone of voice or hand jesters which all of those things makes verbal sarcasm so much easier to pick up on.

Like @Runwildboys said. Maybe you should get to know the posters first.

Some of us drip sarcasm.