CFZ You know what annoys me about our FO?

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The idea that they organization isn't constantly evaluating players from around the league is preposterous.

"We like our guys" means "we like our guys more than the cost of what it would take to get better ones."

blueblood70

Reaction score
You know what annoys me about our FO? The way the FO seems to think midseason that everything is fine with our roster. I appreciated the move last year for Hankins and the trades earlier this year for Cooks and Gillmore. I also liked the swap we did with KJ. That said, I think it's mind boggling how the Eagles are able to make the trades that they do with no concern for salary cap, while Jerry and Stephen, for some confusing reason, don't really have this approach. The Eagles see a problem, and they make a move to try to fix it in a trade. Jerry sees a problem, and it's "It should be fine". I think a lot of this saw this roster and knew running back was a key weakness after letting Zeke go. Now, it's looking like a key weakness. Similarly, LB is also a big weakness of ours when it comes to depth. Jerry never seema to realise the problem until it smacks him in the face, and it's too late when that reality check comes.

I do think that our coaching staff and players need to be better. That said, the FO has to be better too. If they keep giving the coaching staff hamburger, then they can't be surprised when they get hamburger results. They need to provide steak every so often. They need to realise that, when there's a key problem that they can fix, then they should do it. There is this thing called a comp pick. I liked what they used to do where they would make late round trades to fill holes, then those players' contracts wouldn't be renewed, then we get the comp pick. It's a nice cycle. It's one the Eagles seem to use. It's a smart system because then you can trade some late round picks knowing you're getting more with comp picks anyway. In other words, Jerry and Stephen need to give McCarthy and Quinn the tools they need to succeed. Yes, McCarthy's playcalling could be better. No doubt. But, has it crossed the minds of the FO that maybe they have something missing?

I'll give an example. McCarthy stated he wanted to run the ball more. Jerry has given him Pollard, Dowdle, Vaughn, and Luepke (who, tbf, Mike hasn't used nearly enough). They do not replace what Zeke did. It's not just that the oline isn't as good as it once was. A rushing style has to be congruent with the style of oline being used. Pollard is not Zeke. Unfortunately, because Jerry hasn't given him a back to do what Zeke was able to do, Mike is having to use Pollard like Zeke. It's like putting a square peg in a round hole. Of course it's not going to work! Why would it be surprising that Pollard isn't as good up the middle as he is on the outside? Guess what? Jerry Jones has a week to fix the problem before the trade deadline. Yet, he makes this comment last week about "we won't initiate a call". Maybe it's a negotiating tactic, but he really should make a few calls. Who knows? He might get some deals on players that we could really use like a LB, RB, or a lineman. Plus, it doesn't always have to take draft picks. We made a good move earlier with Joseph. That was good! But, they did it likely because they couldn't take KJ anymore. It shouldn't come to that to realise that a player should be moved on from. Perhaps there might be players that other teams want that might be expendable for us? Who knows? You never know if you don't shake the tree.
Dude you do nothing but complain here 24/7 it gets old there are already similar posts open by you and other people about trades and this and that and blah blah blah and you have to have another one with a spotlight on yourself beaconing from a giant mountain so all can see that you're unhappy with the front office in Jerry Jones dude we don't care and by we there'll be a majority of us most won't say anything but I will this gets old it doesn't age well and I don't agree with most of it I'm sorry you complain too much and I'm gonna complain about your complaining how's that??

I'm gonna say this for the 20th time this week to people show me all the other teams making these big moves and show me how these big moves are helping their team have we seen the results have we even seen the results of this trade that you think is a big giant trade that somehow gives the Eagles an advantage have we seen the results of it how do we know it's just not a paper improvement the man was got for 1/4 or was it a fifth and sixth round pick and a player wasn't like a player in their prime they didn't go out and get Jamal Adams or whoever was hot at the time ramseys and all those other dudes they did not go get a dude in their prime they just filled a need..

Will it improve them I don't know but for me I'm not gonna sit here and exaggerate over one single trade and really I can look at ten other teams that might be playoff candidates where are all their moves you act like Jerry Jones is the only one that doesn't do this... So you show me what the other 10 to 12 teams who are going to the playoffs this year all the big moves that you made since you're picking on Jerry show me the rest of them and show me all these other giant free agent moves that have worked in the past for the other teams in the league outside the Eagles or the Rams???

You act like that eagle trade some giant thing they did they just look to improve their team and maybe they have maybe they have it it's all on paper right now it's a single move I don't know many others in the league I'll have to go to the NFL.com to hear about it all the rest of it's been rumors none of those dudes have been traded to any other teams where is it devante Adams new team Derek Henry where's all the interest from other teams??

You need to get over yourself you don't own a team you can never own a team so you might wanna sit back and just allow the professionals to be professionals I agree with Jerry I believe we have the players and I believe with some tweaks a little bit in the scheme and the play calling a little more effort maybe the bye week helps with the injuries that we will be fine we're four and two and some of you complain as if we're two and four and it gets old we just had back-to-back twelve win seasons and now we're started out four and two really one game back from the teams with better records than us which are only two I believe??

blueblood70

Reaction score
Dear Diary...

Didn't read. Longest post ever?
It's just a repeat of five other threads he's either started or said that same thing on he just needed another one he likes to be seen and apparently he likes to be heard and he's just repetitive and redundant and it gets very old you think we started out the season one and five or two and four versus four and two and being one game back from the only two teams that are better than us in records..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Very good point. I feel like there was a time when Jerry was and its why we ended up with guys like Roy Williams and Joey Galloway. I'd rather be aggressive than conservative. Sure fans will complain but that's going to happen regardless.

Honestly, as long as it is a reasonable move that is proactive, I won't complain. I think the Roy Williams trade, in which I think we gave up a first round pick, was probably not great because of the compensation, but it made sense at the time to try it. I mean, you then had a TO who was coming off a great season, a young QB in Romo, and Witten coming into his own. So sure! Get a WR who can break the back. Unfortunately, the trade didn't work but at least Jerry tried. It made sense. I mean, if he's giving up 2-3 first round picks, I might be upset. But if he deals a second for DH or a first for Surtain and it doesn't work, I won't blame Jerry. It was a good proactive move. It didn't work, but it was a good try.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Dude you do nothing but complain here 24/7 it gets old there are already similar posts open by you and other people about trades and this and that and blah blah blah and you have to have another one with a spotlight on yourself beaconing from a giant mountain so all can see that you're unhappy with the front office in Jerry Jones dude we don't care and by we there'll be a majority of us most won't say anything but I will this gets old it doesn't age well and I don't agree with most of it I'm sorry you complain too much and I'm gonna complain about your complaining how's that??

I'm gonna say this for the 20th time this week to people show me all the other teams making these big moves and show me how these big moves are helping their team have we seen the results have we even seen the results of this trade that you think is a big giant trade that somehow gives the Eagles an advantage have we seen the results of it how do we know it's just not a paper improvement the man was got for 1/4 or was it a fifth and sixth round pick and a player wasn't like a player in their prime they didn't go out and get Jamal Adams or whoever was hot at the time ramseys and all those other dudes they did not go get a dude in their prime they just filled a need..

Will it improve them I don't know but for me I'm not gonna sit here and exaggerate over one single trade and really I can look at ten other teams that might be playoff candidates where are all their moves you act like Jerry Jones is the only one that doesn't do this... So you show me what the other 10 to 12 teams who are going to the playoffs this year all the big moves that you made since you're picking on Jerry show me the rest of them and show me all these other giant free agent moves that have worked in the past for the other teams in the league outside the Eagles or the Rams???

You act like that eagle trade some giant thing they did they just look to improve their team and maybe they have maybe they have it it's all on paper right now it's a single move I don't know many others in the league I'll have to go to the NFL.com to hear about it all the rest of it's been rumors none of those dudes have been traded to any other teams where is it devante Adams new team Derek Henry where's all the interest from other teams??

You need to get over yourself you don't own a team you can never own a team so you might wanna sit back and just allow the professionals to be professionals I agree with Jerry I believe we have the players and I believe with some tweaks a little bit in the scheme and the play calling a little more effort maybe the bye week helps with the injuries that we will be fine we're four and two and some of you complain as if we're two and four and it gets old we just had back-to-back twelve win seasons and now we're started out four and two really one game back from the teams with better records than us which are only two I believe??

As it happens, I do have a complimentary post that I'm going to post later today. I actually have a compliment for some of our players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Honestly, as long as it is a reasonable move that is proactive, I won't complain. I think the Roy Williams trade, in which I think we gave up a first round pick, was probably not great because of the compensation, but it made sense at the time to try it. I mean, you then had a TO who was coming off a great season, a young QB in Romo, and Witten coming into his own. So sure! Get a WR who can break the back. Unfortunately, the trade didn't work but at least Jerry tried. It made sense. I mean, if he's giving up 2-3 first round picks, I might be upset. But if he deals a second for DH or a first for Surtain and it doesn't work, I won't blame Jerry. It was a good proactive move. It didn't work, but it was a good try.
A first and a 3rd but yeah I mean it didn't work but it should've. Just didn't. People like to bring up those moves to say how bad Jerry is.....I can appreciate the aggressiveness.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The idea that they organization isn't constantly evaluating players from around the league is preposterous.

"We like our guys" means "we like our guys more than the cost of what it would take to get better ones."

Perhaps, and I do understand that. I just wish they'd be a bit more proactive.

Roland

Reaction score
That's exactly my problem with the FO. The Eagles are proactive. We are reactive. That's why this season is likely to have the same predictable end, then reality will hit Jerry in the face. By that point, it's too late and we are left wondering what could've been. If he was proactive, he'd see that there are moves he can make (that don't necessarily have to involve draft picks) right now that have a chance to put us in the SB. With the way we are constructed at the moment, sure. We will make the playoffs. Sure, we will probably beat one of the teams from the NFC South. But what then? Are we to just say, "Oh well, maybe next year?" What kind of FO is that? We obviously don't have the players to beat SFO. We can get it though. We have a week to bring in what we need to take a good roster and turn it into a great roster. The problem is, Jerry isn't proactive. If we had Howie Roseman, I think we do make trades. I think our FO would realise that there is more to be built on our team. If we had John Lynch, I think Derrick Henry would be on a plane to Dallas tonight. I think with the Chiefs GM, we would have a LB on this roster this afternoon to shore up our LB position. I like what they did in the offseason. But player acquisitions and roster adjustments don't end just because the season started. We can make adjustments during the season. The Eagles do it every year, as do the 49ers. And so should we.
Agreed. We do good in drafting (though I wish we would stop with the 2nd round bargain/risk/reward) concept. And the preseason moves were really good. But we now have a sample of the season to gauge ourselves and make moves to strengthen our weakness. They are dong a better job of making a run for the SB than we are time after time. It seems that the niners and eagles are playing chess while we are playing checker. Win it all now vs being steadily and consistently relevant and marketable.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don't find these posts negative. Its refreshing to hear these opposed to lazy "this guy sucks" posts. At least you put thoughts and time behind yours.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I'm not trying to say that our fo is bad or what have you. I'm just giving my thoughts on where some improvements could be made. I think this is a sentiment that I think a lot of fans share. Heck, Mark Holmes, who's one of the biggest Cowboys fans on YT has been screaming about this for years. It's not to beat down on Jerry. It's to say, hey, he's built a solid roster. Let's make it even better.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Agreed. We do good in drafting (though I wish we would stop with the 2nd round bargain/risk/reward) concept. And the preseason moves were really good. But we now have a sample of the season to gauge ourselves and make moves to strengthen our weakness. They are dong a better job of making a run for the SB than we are time after time. It seems that the niners and eagles are playing chess while we are playing checker. Win it all now vs being steadily and consistently relevant and marketable.

Exactly, and the way that I was trying to say the OP was that Jerry has built a solid roster. What I want from him is to make it an even better roster now that we know where some deficiencies are. If anything, it's a compliment on the roster that we have. If I thought that the roster was pathetic, I wouldn't be making this thread in the first place. I think this team is close. I think it just needs one or two more tweeks.

stiletto

Reaction score
Delusional Nepotism is basically the problem. There is no one tasked in the top level positions that is paid to think outside the box or play Devil's Advocate to a popular decision.

Everyone sitting around agreeing on everything and saying YES to Jerry and Stephen is going to continue to produce the same mediocre results forever.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry is not a GM. Jerry is not a football mind. Jerry is a snake oil salesman only interested in growing revenue and turning a profit. The Cowboys are a plaything for him.

He is not serious about setting up an infrastructure built for winning championships
Oh he wants to win. He just won’t do anything that would allow someone else to get credit for it.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Honestly, the reason that I wrote the OP isn't necessarily to say that Jerry is doing a bad job. It's to say that Jerry has built a very good team. I just think a few tweaks and him being a touch more proactive could put this team across the line to win a championship. I wouldn't have written this thread if I thought this team couldn't compete. I think, with a few roster adjustments, that this team can compete for a SB. It just needs a few more moves to make it just right, with the way I see it.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I know you have some fans asking who would put us over the top but staying put as roster is, is definitely not putting us over to the top as the niners just proved.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Baby steps. Dallas has not went past his division around in twenty eight years. I don't see how people make the jump from that to Super Bowl with a few tweeks.

The qb will disappear in big games. The defense will not stop the run in big games. Rinse and repeat as needed.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Jerry is not a GM. Jerry is not a football mind. Jerry is a snake oil salesman only interested in growing revenue and turning a profit. The Cowboys are a plaything for him.

He is not serious about setting up an infrastructure built for winning championships
I’m not a big Jerry fan but this post is just wrong. Jerry wants to win more than anyone especially you. His problem is he’s too involved.