You know what's funny about everyone wanting Horn/Surtain?

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
Getting a top cb or top lb was a wash, both were needed. Cowboys didn't have two first round picks. So whichever one you got in the second round the other would probably be a lesser talent than the first round pick. Whether it's "easier" to get a lb first then a pretty good cb in the second or vice versa is debatable at best, and given the uncertainties of any draft, probably impossible to say.

Glad to have Parsons, would have been glad to have Surtain or Horn as well.

Percentage of finding a better CB vs off ball LB outside of the first is not debatable. The stats show it’s much easier finding a LB outside of the 1st than a CB.

waving monkey

Reaction score
I read these messages daily about how Jaylon sucks......people have also seem to have fallen out of favor of LVE....yet, the majority of this site wanted Pitts, Slater, Horn or Surtain. A small minority wanted Parsons....

Its just wild because everyone seems to be in agreement that our linebackers were a issue last season but not many wanted to take the best linebacker in the draft who checks a lot of the boxes we have issues with.

Maybe it was people wanting to address linebacker later on in the draft?
I was diffidently in on Horn and Parsons was too much resources at LL position. Glad to see I was wrong. Parsons is boss

kumizi

Reaction score
Too early to tell.

This could be like the Zeke Ramsey situation again. #1 corner is a lot more important position long term. Let’s hope Parsons doesn’t have Zekes (or Jaylons) career path.

kskboys

Reaction score
Too early to tell.

This could be like the Zeke Ramsey situation again. #1 corner is a lot more important position long term. Let’s hope Parsons doesn’t have Zekes (or Jaylons) career path.
It's the opposite. MLB is one of the top 3 most important positions on the D. Your CB's are rendered ineffective w/o good play for MLB, DT, and S.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I read these messages daily about how Jaylon sucks......people have also seem to have fallen out of favor of LVE....yet, the majority of this site wanted Pitts, Slater, Horn or Surtain. A small minority wanted Parsons....

Its just wild because everyone seems to be in agreement that our linebackers were a issue last season but not many wanted to take the best linebacker in the draft who checks a lot of the boxes we have issues with.

Maybe it was people wanting to address linebacker later on in the draft?

Parsons has to impact the pass game.

I don’t think anyone accounted for Parsons being a edge player in a Von Miller type of role. That’s why a lot of teams didn’t even have him as the #1 backer.

So if he can scream off the edge then that changes things.

I could care less if he can cover if he hits the QB and covering was my #1 concern.

kskboys

Reaction score

I don’t think anyone accounted for Parsons being a edge player in a Von Miller type of role. That’s why a lot of teams didn’t even have him as the #1 backer.

I could care less if he can cover if he hits the QB and covering was my #1 concern.
It was all over his scouting report that he was.

kskboys

Reaction score
Where?

We knew he could blitz straight up the middle.

Where did we see that he could potentially bend the edge?
It was in my favorite rag, Lindy's: "Dangerous edge rusher, showing terrific initial quickness and bend to dip, duck, and deke his way past the bigger, slower blockers."

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It was in my favorite rag, Lindy's: "Dangerous edge rusher, showing terrific initial quickness and bend to dip, duck, and deke his way past the bigger, slower blockers."

I didn’t read any of that stuff. I just watched his games.

Not a lot of edge stuff.

I know he went to Penn as a D end but almost everything I saw was just him lined up as a typical backer and not really a 3/4 guy.

I projected him as a better 3/4 linebacker because he wouldn’t be asked to cover as much.

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn’t read any of that stuff. I just watched his games.

Not a lot of edge stuff.

I know he went to Penn as a D end but almost everything I saw was just him lined up as a typical backer and not really a 3/4 guy.

I projected him as a better 3/4 linebacker because he wouldn’t be asked to cover as much.
You did say potentially. Potential edge benders needs speed and agility. He has both in spades.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Where?

We knew he could blitz straight up the middle.

Where did we see that he could potentially bend the edge?

From several draft sites:

"
Strengths
Parsons is elite at blitzing. He gets to the quarterback at a high rate, earning five sacks in 2019. He has great bend at the line of scrimmage and excels at turning vertical to make himself small, get through the tackles, and into the backfield. He also is very good at pass rushing off the edge, giving himself the versatility to play OLB in a 3-4 defense."

"
As a former pass-rusher in high-school, possess pass-rush traits to take on offensive linemen"

"
He is incredibly efficient in blitz situations as he can not only beat you with his speed, but also use his superb body control to work past and even through blocks if needed."

Wasn't a question as to if he could rush the passer....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

What do you mean #1 backer? As in linebacker?

jnday

Reaction score
I think it is a bit premature to judge any of these players until they have played some tegu season games. It’s too early to break out the anointing oil.

visionary

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't disagree.

My general feeling is that there is a priority system
1. Go get your QB if you don't have one
2. Take a linemen
3. Take a money position

8/10 times this is what I do, but 2/10 times there is that special transcending player that you ignore the rules for. Parsons was that transcending player and so was Lamb......I actually had TJ Watt in that category too. Zeke arguably belonged in that category except Ramsey was just as special IMO and in a more valuable position.

my approach in top 10

1. franchise QB
2. LT
3. Game changing DE
4. Trade down

kumizi

Reaction score
It's the opposite. MLB is one of the top 3 most important positions on the D. Your CB's are rendered ineffective w/o good play for MLB, DT, and S.
LOL at MLB being more important than CB. I can’t even argue with someone that doesn’t understand the basics of modern football.

You saw tonight why the Cowboys so desperately wanted a #1 CB opposite Diggs. That position alone is going to put a ceiling on this team from being a contender.