You know what's funny about everyone wanting Horn/Surtain?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I read these messages daily about how Jaylon sucks......people have also seem to have fallen out of favor of LVE....yet, the majority of this site wanted Pitts, Slater, Horn or Surtain. A small minority wanted Parsons....

Its just wild because everyone seems to be in agreement that our linebackers were a issue last season but not many wanted to take the best linebacker in the draft who checks a lot of the boxes we have issues with.

Maybe it was people wanting to address linebacker later on in the draft?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I read these messages daily about how Jaylon sucks......people have also seem to have fallen out of favor of LVE....yet, the majority of this site wanted Pitts, Slater, Horn or Surtain. A small minority wanted Parsons....

Its just wild because everyone seems to be in agreement that our linebackers were a issue last season but not many wanted to take the best linebacker in the draft who checks a lot of the boxes we have issues with.

That's going to end up being like a Rams fans saying we should have drafted Bryon Jones instead of Aaron Donald (If that had actually been an option for the Rams).

plasticman

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was believed that a CB drafted at that position would be more impactful than a LB.

I didn't quite understand that reasoning at the time, considering the problems in run defense. Also, if we drafted Parson in the 1st round there would still be some nice options for CB's in the 2nd round as opposed to getting the CB in the 1st and looking for a LB in the 2nd.

As it turns out, I think it ended up being a wash. They could have gotten the CB if one was still available and gotten their LB, someone like Nick Bolton or Owusu-Koramoah.

Then again, I'm convinced that Parsons could be generational at his position. Horn and Surtain will be good to great but others will be comparable, not so with Parsons. He is far and above one of the most exciting defensive players to come out for a long time.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it was believed that a CB drafted at that position would be more impactful than a LB.

I didn't quite understand that reasoning at the time, considering the problems in run defense. Also, if we drafted Parson in the 1st round there would still be some nice options for CB's in the 2nd round as opposed to getting the CB in the 1st and looking for a LB in the 2nd.

As it turns out, I think it ended up being a wash. They could have gotten the CB if one was still available and gotten their LB, someone like Nick Bolton or Owusu-Koramoah.

Then again, I'm convinced that Parsons could be generational at his position. Horn and Surtain will be good to great but others will be comparable, not so with Parsons. He is far and above one of the most exciting defensive players to come out for a long time.
I was one of the ones who didn't want to take a linebacker early so trust me I get why people wanted to go that route its just weird how things play out. Not only did we trade down but we still get Parsons. Its going to be interesting to follow their careers because I just don't know if it would've been in our best interest to get a corner in the 1st as opposed to the 2nd. Come to find out....we got two pretty good prospects in Wright and Joseph in the 2nd and 3rd..going to be fun watching how this plays out.

DanA

Reaction score

I guess the argument is that you can pick up a guy like Neale cheaply in FA and then draft guys like JOK and Cox in the mid rounds of the draft. It's hard to find decent corners cheaply in free agency and even harder to find corners that make an instant impact. Personally, I never got why Parsons wasn't considered the best linebacker and a blue chip player, one look at the Cotton Bowl should have sold anybody. But I do get why you'd want to focus on money positions in the first round rather than an instant impact blue chip player in a cheaper position. It's the same argument as Ramsey vs Zeke and you can probably put Bosa and Ronnie Stanley in there as well. Pro-bowl level players in money positions are generally worth more.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I guess the argument is that you can pick up a guy like Neale cheaply in FA and then draft guys like JOK and Cox in the mid rounds of the draft. It's hard to find decent corners cheaply in free agency and even harder to find corners that make an instant impact. Personally, I never got why Parsons wasn't considered the best linebacker and a blue chip player, one look at the Cotton Bowl should have sold anybody. But I do get why you'd want to focus on money positions in the first round rather than an instant impact blue chip player in a cheaper position. It's the same argument as Ramsey vs Zeke.
Well let me say this....with Ramsey and Zeke....I got where they were coming from but it was much riskier to do it at a position like that. I also didn't think Surtain and Horn were as good prospects as Ramsey was. If Ramsey and Horn were as good at their positions as Parson's was then i'd agree i'd consider them priority. Drafting them over Parson's should've been considered a reach.

DanA

Reaction score
Well let me say this....with Ramsey and Zeke....I got where they were coming from but it was much riskier to do it at a position like that. I also didn't think Surtain and Horn were as good prospects as Ramsey was. If Ramsey and Horn were as good at their positions as Parson's was then i'd agree i'd consider them priority. Drafting them over Parson's should've been considered a reach.

To be honest, I don't disagree.

My general feeling is that there is a priority system
1. Go get your QB if you don't have one
2. Take a linemen
3. Take a money position

8/10 times this is what I do, but 2/10 times there is that special transcending player that you ignore the rules for. Parsons was that transcending player and so was Lamb......I actually had TJ Watt in that category too. Zeke arguably belonged in that category except Ramsey was just as special IMO and in a more valuable position.

Croomraider

Reaction score
I was never a Horn fan. I did like Surtain. However, my favorite defensive player in the draft was Parsons. I just never figured he would make it to Pick 10. Some people comped Parsons to Von Miller. It was a tremendous pick and we got lucky the DB's went right before us.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There a ton of different factors to consider. Things like positional value money wise. Overall talent level. Need. Initial impact. Long term impact. Alot of different opinions form. Thats what makes the draft so interesting, and such a hot bed of discussion.

In early picks I tend to skew towards positional value money wise. An example of the pros of this line of thinking: We are likely to get production out of Lamb that will be equivalent to players making over 20 M AAV. That is a huge score for us if it comes.

Its not a poor way if valuation, but it can't be the only way. That approach has us drafting Horn or Surtain( had they been available) over Parsons most likely. If you do that (an I really liked both Horn and Surtain), you ran a high risk of passing on a potentially much more impactful player. One way I think we got lucky is that I dont think teams took into account Parsons traits as an edge rusher ( not blitzer, but true edge rusher). If you do that, his valuation is very different

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly.

Parsons talent is so far above those CBs that it would be stupid to draft a CB because of positional value,

It is true the CB is has a higher position value than off-ball LB, but even that is flawed with regards to Parsons because he could play 3-4 OLB and rush the passer which has an equal or higher position value to CB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I was never a Horn fan. I did like Surtain. However, my favorite defensive player in the draft was Parsons. I just never figured he would make it to Pick 10. Some people comped Parsons to Von Miller. It was a tremendous pick and we got lucky the DB's went right before us.
There were 2 players in the draft that were clearly far above everybody else in talent. Parsons and the TE.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Dallas needed both a linebacker and a cornerback, and safety as well, and since they didn't have 3 high first round picks they could only get one of them, and it didn't really matter which. Parsons may be a "generational talent" but one player isn't fixing this defense, as I said before the draft.

Can't we just enjoy Parsons' great (at least so far, we'll see how he does when teams go to more complicated offensive plays and/or they key on keeping Parsons from being super effective) play and be grateful we got at least one excellent prospect?

kskboys

Reaction score
Dallas needed both a linebacker and a cornerback, and safety as well, and since they didn't have 3 high first round picks they could only get one of them, and it didn't really matter which. Parsons may be a "generational talent" but one player isn't fixing this defense, as I said before the draft.

Can't we just enjoy Parsons' great (at least so far, we'll see how he does when teams go to more complicated offensive plays and/or they key on keeping Parsons from being super effective) play and be grateful we got at least one excellent prospect?
ODiggy is excellent!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Its interesting about Lawrence...it was like the hype sort of died down when it came draft time. All of a sudden there were a few QB's who were close to him it seemed.
As w/ all super prospects, as soon as it is ascertained that he is a top prospect, then people start fleapickin' and trying to downgrade him.

kskboys

Reaction score
Looks good, but I'll reserve judgment until a few games into the regular season. Though we know Dallas has sometimes keeps talent on the bench for their own reasons...
Actually, I was referring to your statement that one player isn't fixing this D. I agree, however we may get several players from this draft. Too early to say either way.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score

You can find better value at LB outside of the first round then you can find LB.
With that being said I think Parsons is going to be more than just your off ball LB so it adds more value. If he can give you around 100 tackles, 6 sacks, and create 3 turnovers that will justify him being picked where he picked and I think that’s all doable.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
You can find better value at LB outside of the first round then you can find LB.
With that being said I think Parsons is going to be more than just your off ball LB so it adds more value. If he can give you around 100 tackles, 6 sacks, and create 3 turnovers that will justify him being picked where he picked and I think that’s all doable.

Getting a top cb or top lb was a wash, both were needed. Cowboys didn't have two first round picks. So whichever one you got in the second round the other would probably be a lesser talent than the first round pick. Whether it's "easier" to get a lb first then a pretty good cb in the second or vice versa is debatable at best, and given the uncertainties of any draft, probably impossible to say.

Glad to have Parsons, would have been glad to have Surtain or Horn as well.