You Know Your Team Hasn't Been Successful For A Long Time When

plasticman

Reaction score
1 the draft is more important for every team when they are eliminated from the playoffs. hat difference does it make?
2 agents regularly name drop Dallas as in contract negotiations etc as it creates press for their clients. It would be the same thing if we got a trophy.
3 there are draftniks wanting to talk draft year round for every team. this is true for every sport. MLB farm system and NBA G league are also discussed year round.
4 the QB always gets this treatment. You recall Aikman and Walsh?
5 at are you even talking about? fan opinion? who cares?
6 you should pay more attention. I see Micah and Dak all the time and I am not in Dallas.
7 all teams set goals for winning the division. Pretty sure they do not teach to ignore when your subordinates achieve the goals you set out for them in OTC.
8 you don't and given the site demographics most around here do not either.
9 Tyron just got off one of the most team friendly deals in the NFL. Again your attention seems wanting.
10 That happened far less than the alternative last year as we won more games than we lost.
11 what are you even talking about?
12 Given Daks stats this past season, this is pure nonsense.
13 Because news about run ins with the law is better? Nevermind the litany of training montages of our players all over Twitter.
14 More make believe.
This was supposed to be a fun, tongue in cheek, sit back and laugh, reference to all those loyal, long suffering fans of every team that has experienced a slump now or in the past.

If I was serious then my post would have been far more detailed and I would have mentioned specific names. Fans of every team in the NFL can assure you that this list was not limited to the Cowboys specifically. Every fan has experienced some or even most of these events at some point in time.

As a Cowboys fan, I appreciate your loyalty to the players on our team. If you were a fan of the Eagles or some other nemesis trying to use my post to trash the Cowboys then I could easily switch it around with more specific examples of your team.

"You know you are an Eagles fan when the dimensions of your Super Bowl Trophy room doesn't need to exceed 3 square feet"......not my best, but an example.

plasticman

Reaction score
17. There was no such thing as Facebook.
I needed to expand on that.....

17. When your team won their last championship, there was no such thing as Facebook and the only social media was a land line telephone in the living room.

18. During the year of your team's last championship, the average price for a loaf of bread was less than a dollar.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
The definition of success for one is very subjective for two if you're insinuating the Dallas Cowboys, A-Team that's finished in the top six the last three years are unsuccessful?

that's on you and your expectations...

So what are the other 28 teams that are finishing below u,s what are they considered ?if we're not considered successful, what are they considered? I mean I hate to find the word for them because our fan base being using the word average, well there's sixteen teams would be average to below aveage, you know they fall below the 32 mid-level area, which we have not been near in a very long time..

so we're not average, we're above average, yes playoff success has been marginal to very disappointing but the very fact that we have been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years puts us in the successful category not the unsuccessful category so half of those things you listed are very contradictive to what our actual team is..

Unsuccessful teams do not pick in the bottom six of every round of the draft.. They typically do not have some top groups in the NFL some top players in MVP and all pro candidates usually unsuccessful teams are trying to find those guys.... Or worse they treat them before they pay them that's how they stay bad...
The 90's Bills were successful but will only be remembered for losing 4 straight superbowls. That's not the bar we should be measuring success on.

kskboys

Reaction score
1 the draft is more important for every team when they are eliminated from the playoffs. hat difference does it make?
2 agents regularly name drop Dallas as in contract negotiations etc as it creates press for their clients. It would be the same thing if we got a trophy.
3 there are draftniks wanting to talk draft year round for every team. this is true for every sport. MLB farm system and NBA G league are also discussed year round.
4 the QB always gets this treatment. You recall Aikman and Walsh?
5 at are you even talking about? fan opinion? who cares?
6 you should pay more attention. I see Micah and Dak all the time and I am not in Dallas.
7 all teams set goals for winning the division. Pretty sure they do not teach to ignore when your subordinates achieve the goals you set out for them in OTC.
8 you don't and given the site demographics most around here do not either.
9 Tyron just got off one of the most team friendly deals in the NFL. Again your attention seems wanting.
10 That happened far less than the alternative last year as we won more games than we lost.
11 what are you even talking about?
12 Given Daks stats this past season, this is pure nonsense.
13 Because news about run ins with the law is better? Nevermind the litany of training montages of our players all over Twitter.
14 More make believe.
Swiiiiiiiing and a miss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
BwJ3vLeIUAAnFKq.jpg

blueblood70

Reaction score
The 90's Bills were successful but will only be remembered for losing 4 straight superbowls. That's not the bar we should be measuring success on.
I don't care what bar or measuring stick you use,

I'm just telling you,

a top six team the last three years cannot be considered unsuccessful,

we have unsuccessful playoff runs but we are one of the top teams in the league that plays on almost all the primetime games ,that still gets high ratings, that still sells out their stadium, you all act like this is some bag wearing embarrassment of a team we're supporting but it sounds like what we are is really for the bandwagon embarrassment of a fan base...

There's a big difference between the teams again that we're looking down upon that are 28 teams that we could say we're better than you can hardly call that unsuccessful...​
I mean goal #1 is to have a winning record, we've accomplished that three straight 12 win season's, goal number two ,win your division done that twice in 3 years, and get your highest seed and at least 1 home playoff game, last year we finished with our highest seed we've had in a very long time. So we've won the division twice in the last three years we've been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years... That is about as far from the definition of unsuccessful when it comes to sports as you can get..​
I get what you're saying but my argument is you cannot deem this team unsuccessful average or embarrassing they are in the hunt almost yearly and that's more than most teams in the league...​

Yes, we've had very disappointing and unsuccessful playoff games, it's a kick in the gut ,we all want it better, but our team is still one of the best teams in the league and you cannot keep using terms like average and disappointing and unsuccessful when it comes to a team that's still winning a lot more than 75% of the league....​
Yes, we expect more, yes we want more,​
but I'm tired of hearing about how bad we are and how much of a joke we are and we're like a circus and full of clowns and nobody in the front office knows what they're doing because it's obvious that that's the opposite of what's going on because you can't win this consistently in the league if all those narratives were true....​
This fanbase truly talks about this team like we've only been winning five games a year like we've been 5-1 the last three years, that's the labels I'm fighting here, and I'm irritated about I'm tired of hearing it, we are not a bad team... We're not even average, we're so far above average given the fact that there's 32 teams and if you could do basic math we'd have to be finishing around 16 every year to be called average that goes for all our players who are deemed useless and disappointing and called average when it's so far from the truth it's ridiculous... stop using terrible adjectives and terrible descriptive words,. just say what you need to say we're a very good team who falls short in the playoffs.​
I will take that any day over only winning 5 to 8 games every year and struggling to even be in the middle of the pack in your own division that would be Washington and New York... And that would be a whole bunch of teams who are literally the bottom 20 in the league... We are top six that's what I'm saying we are not unsuccessful , we are having disappointing playoff losses but at least we're in the playoffs...​
But if you think there's no difference between the Cowboys and say teams that are below The Jets or the Browns even or any team like that then you just don't really understand that it could be far worse I would not trade our situation for any of them except maybe a couple of teams that are better than us but being that they're big time rivals you know in the 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs the Dallas Cowboys are every bit in the class of the rest of those teams regardless of the bad playoff loss we had...​
But literally I am sick of hearing how bad and unsuccessful we are when that is not how it stacks up at the end of every year when you're in the playoff hunt there are teams that would trade places with us any day as a fan base to at least say that you have very successful regular seasons and you're at least in the playoffs...​
You know it's beyond me to wish this kind of thing but I think some of y'all need to really have a good taste of what it's like to be 5 and 12 three straight years and be a laughing stock to really fit the narrative you like to plug in for a team that's the opposite of that it could be far worse be careful what you wish for you are all these changes because you can think that we could have a better team but sometimes it's just luck in the playoffs we are falling short we want more but it could be so much worse as an NFL fan when you truly have to watch a bad team lose every year not even be competitive not even be in the race what you you wanted more colorful offseason you wanna win free agency you wanna win the draft that's what you want you want to be in the top five of the draft so you have something more to talk about because winning 12 games a year is getting boring for this fan base and I think that the best thing for them would be to have the worst quarterback ever and scrape together four to five wins and just look up and wish you could make the playoffs!!!​

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills fan base would take that right now over what they've had since I guarantee it and I know we all want more but that's a terrible analogy I would rather get to the Super bowl and lose then not even have a shot at getting to the Super bowl.... In this whole premise that your team has to be in the Super bowl or whatever championship it is at the end of every year it's deemed unsuccessful it's ridiculous we have three other pro sports franchises in DFW that in their entire existence and thank the good Lord the Rangers finally took them 52 years to win one championship they only have three total literally 1 championship per team in our DFW area in their entire existence. Somehow Jerry got 3 early but because there's a small drought here and it actually is a small drought if you look at some of the other droughts in the NFL around sports that he doesn't know what he's doing and that it's completely deemed unsuccessful but how come the other three franchises together only have three Jerry has three we're waiting on number six we're not waiting on our first championship we're not waiting on our second we're waiting on #6.

What do our other local pro sports franchises have that Jerry doesn't have they changed coaches they changed gyms so do other teams around the NFL if that was a blueprint for success that was guaranteed it's not working for more than 20 to 28 teens look around there's been a couple of dynasties with the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs but other than that there are teams regularly competing in the Super Bowl.. And by your premise we're supposed to be looking up at the 49ers and looking at them as a blueprint they have not won a Super Bowl since 1994 and my math that would say longer than the Cowboys and if you're saying that that's the only goal that means they're just as unsuccessful as us because they're not winning Super Bowls either they're falling short yes we're worse but if that's the goal you're complaining the Buffalo Bills lost three straight or four straight Super Bowls and that they're not looked at as successful by getting there because they lost well that means there aren't many teams with happy fanbases they they should just shut down the NFL they should shut down all sports because teams are not winning championships on a regular basis...​

And that goes for our fan base I'd rather be a 12 and five team competing every year in the playoffs than being a five win team winning the offseason...

I think that's what you guys like, I think you you're so bored of winning 12 games and falling short in the playoffs that you just want to win free agency the New York Giants and Washington have spent more than free agency then the Cowboys or the Eagles and look at what it got them there are picking high in the draft for years..

how many great draft picks did the Cleveland Browns have for like a decade there was a couple years in a row they had three first round picks and what did it get them?? I mean rebuilding teams firing GM's, firing coaches, constantly changing your quarterbacks ,show me where that's a blueprint for success because that's what it seems like I'm reading here is every three or four years if it doesn't look right blow it all up and start from scratch....

I'm not saying I'm content or happy about the disappointing losses in the playoffs, but I think it's ridiculous to call us unsuccessful because it could be worse...

starman22

Reaction score
The definition of success for one is very subjective for two if you're insinuating the Dallas Cowboys, A-Team that's finished in the top six the last three years are unsuccessful?

that's on you and your expectations...

So what are the other 28 teams that are finishing below u,s what are they considered ?if we're not considered successful, what are they considered? I mean I hate to find the word for them because our fan base being using the word average, well there's sixteen teams would be average to below aveage, you know they fall below the 32 mid-level area, which we have not been near in a very long time..

so we're not average, we're above average, yes playoff success has been marginal to very disappointing but the very fact that we have been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years puts us in the successful category not the unsuccessful category so half of those things you listed are very contradictive to what our actual team is..

Unsuccessful teams do not pick in the bottom six of every round of the draft.. They typically do not have some top groups in the NFL some top players in MVP and all pro candidates usually unsuccessful teams are trying to find those guys.... Or worse they treat them before they pay them that's how they stay bad...
Your expectations for this franchise are too low. Regular season success is not success.

But, like you, my expectations for this team is also very low, it's easier that way to not care / get over it quicker, when we are embarrassed in the wild card round (again)

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't care what bar or measuring stick you use,

I'm just telling you,

a top six team the last three years cannot be considered unsuccessful,

we have unsuccessful playoff runs but we are one of the top teams in the league that plays on almost all the primetime games ,that still gets high ratings, that still sells out their stadium, you all act like this is some bag wearing embarrassment of a team we're supporting but it sounds like what we are is really for the bandwagon embarrassment of a fan base...

There's a big difference between the teams again that we're looking down upon that are 28 teams that we could say we're better than you can hardly call that unsuccessful...​
I mean goal #1 is to have a winning record, we've accomplished that three straight 12 win season's, goal number two ,win your division done that twice in 3 years, and get your highest seed and at least 1 home playoff game, last year we finished with our highest seed we've had in a very long time. So we've won the division twice in the last three years we've been to the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years... That is about as far from the definition of unsuccessful when it comes to sports as you can get..​
I get what you're saying but my argument is you cannot deem this team unsuccessful average or embarrassing they are in the hunt almost yearly and that's more than most teams in the league...​

Yes, we've had very disappointing and unsuccessful playoff games, it's a kick in the gut ,we all want it better, but our team is still one of the best teams in the league and you cannot keep using terms like average and disappointing and unsuccessful when it comes to a team that's still winning a lot more than 75% of the league....​
Yes, we expect more, yes we want more,​
but I'm tired of hearing about how bad we are and how much of a joke we are and we're like a circus and full of clowns and nobody in the front office knows what they're doing because it's obvious that that's the opposite of what's going on because you can't win this consistently in the league if all those narratives were true....​
This fanbase truly talks about this team like we've only been winning five games a year like we've been 5-1 the last three years, that's the labels I'm fighting here, and I'm irritated about I'm tired of hearing it, we are not a bad team... We're not even average, we're so far above average given the fact that there's 32 teams and if you could do basic math we'd have to be finishing around 16 every year to be called average that goes for all our players who are deemed useless and disappointing and called average when it's so far from the truth it's ridiculous... stop using terrible adjectives and terrible descriptive words,. just say what you need to say we're a very good team who falls short in the playoffs.​
I will take that any day over only winning 5 to 8 games every year and struggling to even be in the middle of the pack in your own division that would be Washington and New York... And that would be a whole bunch of teams who are literally the bottom 20 in the league... We are top six that's what I'm saying we are not unsuccessful , we are having disappointing playoff losses but at least we're in the playoffs...​
But if you think there's no difference between the Cowboys and say teams that are below The Jets or the Browns even or any team like that then you just don't really understand that it could be far worse I would not trade our situation for any of them except maybe a couple of teams that are better than us but being that they're big time rivals you know in the 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs the Dallas Cowboys are every bit in the class of the rest of those teams regardless of the bad playoff loss we had...​
But literally I am sick of hearing how bad and unsuccessful we are when that is not how it stacks up at the end of every year when you're in the playoff hunt there are teams that would trade places with us any day as a fan base to at least say that you have very successful regular seasons and you're at least in the playoffs...​
You know it's beyond me to wish this kind of thing but I think some of y'all need to really have a good taste of what it's like to be 5 and 12 three straight years and be a laughing stock to really fit the narrative you like to plug in for a team that's the opposite of that it could be far worse be careful what you wish for you are all these changes because you can think that we could have a better team but sometimes it's just luck in the playoffs we are falling short we want more but it could be so much worse as an NFL fan when you truly have to watch a bad team lose every year not even be competitive not even be in the race what you you wanted more colorful offseason you wanna win free agency you wanna win the draft that's what you want you want to be in the top five of the draft so you have something more to talk about because winning 12 games a year is getting boring for this fan base and I think that the best thing for them would be to have the worst quarterback ever and scrape together four to five wins and just look up and wish you could make the playoffs!!!​
Can you be successful and embarrassing at the same time?

It's generally agreed that the Cowboys had one of the most talented rosters in the league. At the very least, "success" should be defined as reaching your potential.

The Cowboys have had teams over he past 27 years that had the potential to go far if they had elevated their game by even a small margin. Unfortunately, whether it be coaching, preparation, lack of leadership, they have been unable to reach a conference championship game each and every time.

If success was measured by regular season victories, then why have playoffs? Making the playoffs means nothing more than qualifying for the opportunity to be successful.

Basically, success involves reaching some specific goal. What is the goal of every NFL team every season? When have the Cowboys been successful in reaching their goal?

Yes, teams set several goals before the season. However, they are only steps that are a means to an end, with that end being the only true goal which is a championship.

Every year one team is successful, 31 teams ae not. However, over a 32 year period, the average team will have won a Super Bowl. The Dallas Cowboys have been historically successful in that they have won far more than their share during the 74 seasons of their existence. However, that success has been 100% concentrated in the first half of that 74 years

blueblood70

Reaction score
Can you be successful and embarrassing at the same time?

It's generally agreed that the Cowboys had one of the most talented rosters in the league. At the very least, "success" should be defined as reaching your potential.

The Cowboys have had teams over he past 27 years that had the potential to go far if they had elevated their game by even a small margin. Unfortunately, whether it be coaching, preparation, lack of leadership, they have been unable to reach a conference championship game each and every time.

If success was measured by regular season victories, then why have playoffs? Making the playoffs means nothing more than qualifying for the opportunity to be successful.

Basically, success involves reaching some specific goal. What is the goal of every NFL team every season? When have the Cowboys been successful in reaching their goal?

Yes, teams set several goals before the season. However, they are only steps that are a means to an end, with that end being the only true goal which is a championship.

Every year one team is successful, 31 teams ae not. However, over a 32 year period, the average team will have won a Super Bowl. The Dallas Cowboys have been historically successful in that they have won far more than their share during the 74 seasons of their existence. However, that success has been 100% concentrated in the first half of that 74 years
NO the word instead of embarrassing or unsuccessful needs a declaimer

Great regular seasons strung together 3 straight years, however very disappointing finish in the playoffs. that all i am agreeing too in this debate.,. 20 pus other teams fanbase would luv to switch places that not embarrassing at all.

Of course, it was ,

disappointing, gut wrenching, fell short, disheartening,

those are the words we use , we simply didn't finish well, we need to do better, the word embarrassing or unsuccessful cannot be attached or labeled to this particular run by the Dallas Cowboys..

If the word unsuccessful or embarrassing is used for the Dallas Cowboys finishing top six and falling short then what do we call the other teams in the NFL just absolutely ungodly terrible?? Should the NFL fold up shop because 28 other teams are not finishing in the top six and they're not doing anything more and usually far less than the Cowboys are??

Like I said,,

what does that say about the Dallas Mavericks, the Dallas Stars, and the lowly up until this year Texas Rangers who took from 1970 until 2023 in order to win a championship, just one lowly championship!!??

that's three championships for three other teams, should they have sell their teams and move should we be talking about other teams around the league moving into that area because it's so embarrassing, we should draw some other team in and they need to go they need to fold up shop move away??

go away because in their entire existence all they have to offer is 3 total championships IE 1 each, that's one per team and their total existence and somehow their fan base still go to games..

It might be 28 years for Jerry looking for his sport and the Dallas Cowboys looking for #6 but that's better than the other three teams combined literally he has as many championships as the other three pro sports teams together

sorry but I tend to use common sense and logic instead of like exaggerated words...

Labels that don't really fit dont work for me..

I get it, we're severely disappointed, we're upset, we're disheartened ,we fell short ...they absolutely did not live up to expectations but this is a NEW Year in a year to year league and throughout the year it's really a week to week league because teams just allowed the NFL over the last 10 or 15 years to get closer and closer together in parity you, just never know any given Monday through Friday now what does many games is worth watching this is what you get you get a league that there typically aren't too many teams winning on a regular basis...

mrmojo

Reaction score
12. Your teams MVP candidates for the season include the punter. AND FG Kicker.....

Unfortunately spot on!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
17. There was no such thing as Facebook.
Shoot... how about when there was no online message board period to gripe or cheer on your team. LOL

(Maybe they were around then, just weren't as popular)

I can only imagine this bulletin board when things like the Tom Landry firing, Aikman vs Buerlein, Aikman's last years, Emmitt's hold out, Jerry's horrible 90's drafts, Bozo Switzer, and other stuff happened.