You Know Your Team Hasn't Been Successful For A Long Time When

Motorola

Reaction score
Can you be successful and embarrassing at the same time?

It's generally agreed that the Cowboys had one of the most talented rosters in the league. At the very least, "success" should be defined as reaching your potential.

The Cowboys have had teams over he past 27 years that had the potential to go far if they had elevated their game by even a small margin. Unfortunately, whether it be coaching, preparation, lack of leadership, they have been unable to reach a conference championship game each and every time.

If success was measured by regular season victories, then why have playoffs? Making the playoffs means nothing more than qualifying for the opportunity to be successful.

Basically, success involves reaching some specific goal. What is the goal of every NFL team every season? When have the Cowboys been successful in reaching their goal?

Yes, teams set several goals before the season. However, they are only steps that are a means to an end, with that end being the only true goal which is a championship.

Every year one team is successful, 31 teams ae not. However, over a 32 year period, the average team will have won a Super Bowl. The Dallas Cowboys have been historically successful in that they have won far more than their share during the 74 seasons of their existence. However, that success has been 100% concentrated in the first half of that 74 years
64 seasons____1960-2023

blueblood70

Reaction score
Can you be successful and embarrassing at the same time?

It's generally agreed that the Cowboys had one of the most talented rosters in the league. At the very least, "success" should be defined as reaching your potential.

The Cowboys have had teams over he past 27 years that had the potential to go far if they had elevated their game by even a small margin. Unfortunately, whether it be coaching, preparation, lack of leadership, they have been unable to reach a conference championship game each and every time.

If success was measured by regular season victories, then why have playoffs? Making the playoffs means nothing more than qualifying for the opportunity to be successful.

Basically, success involves reaching some specific goal. What is the goal of every NFL team every season? When have the Cowboys been successful in reaching their goal?

Yes, teams set several goals before the season. However, they are only steps that are a means to an end, with that end being the only true goal which is a championship.

Every year one team is successful, 31 teams ae not. However, over a 32 year period, the average team will have won a Super Bowl. The Dallas Cowboys have been historically successful in that they have won far more than their share during the 74 seasons of their existence. However, that success has been 100% concentrated in the first half of that 74 years

That's not even 100% accurate, explain to me how there's a handful of teams out there that have never won a Super Bowl ? Also explain to me how you think the average team's doing it when over the last what 15 years how many have the two teams won in New England and now it's Kansas city's turn to get their cycle going ?? How many different ones in between there have there been outside of those two teams ?? Not a lot I'm sure there are a few you can like spout off but teams are not regularly getting their return it's usually one team hitting their cycle which by the way explain to me how Kansas City took 52 years their drought was longer than ours before they started on this cycle sometimes these things winning comes in cycles but 52 years is longer than 28 last I checked...

Now I realize that narrative changes, when you say get to a Super Bowl or an NFC championship game,
that's different,
however even in that instance not a lot of teams are doing that on a regular basis but it's been since 1994 for the 49ers to have won a Super Bowl, that's longer than us.. so if the average team is winning Super Bowls that statement is wrong!! you should have use the term the average team has at least got to a championship game or at least made it to a Super Bowl.
For sure that's where the Dallas Cowboys are falling short and of course I'm disappointed but they're not embarrassing at all... I mean the Eagles have only won one Super Bowl in 60 years... so if this cycle is supposed to be winning Super Bowls on a regular basis every 32 years that's not true because there are some teams that only have one Super Bowl or there's some that have none since 1960!
So, here's a little difference, jerrys waiting on #4, the Cowboys are waiting on number six, we're not waiting around for one.. so if you want to use the law of averages technically if Jerry would have won one every 10 years, you'd have been more happy than three early and then a small 28 year drought??? its still 3 over 33years nealry 1 every 10..

For me the drought is not about winning the Super bowl, it's the NFC championship games, we need to get over that hump, but you did not state that stuff because it's absolutely inaccurate to say that every 32 years most average teams would have won a Super Bowl, that's not true at all .. I mean it seems to me in a short amount of time two teams have been two or have won about 15 of those it's not different teams it seems to be the same teams that get on a dynasty run like the Cowboys did in the 70s and the 90s.

So lastly,

once again I know people don't like my long rants we're off base when we call this embarrassing or even unsuccessful, this is literally disappointing and falling short, that is all it is and it comes in cycles our turn may come around very soon we don't know ...

TwentyOne

Reaction score
1. The NFL draft is more relevant for team fans than the Super Bowl.

2. Every time another team cuts a veteran, his name becomes the title of the next thread on your team's discussion forum with the first sentence, "We need this guy!"

3. The draft becomes a topic six games into the regular season.

4. The most polarizing issue is the starting QB and options for his replacement.

5. Veteran free agency is a method of improvement.

6. You don't see any team players in national commercials.

7. Winning the division is considered an achievement and even celebrated.

8. When defending your team's historic relevance, you have to reference their accomplishments before you were born.

9. Team friendly contracts are an unfamiliar phenomenon.

10. Postgame show interviews feature the very players you were rooting against a half hour ago.

11. Game highlights routinely end with two of your team's DB's pointing fingers at each other or your QB walking off the field with his head lowered.

12. Your teams MVP candidates for the season include the punter.

13. News of your teams players are limited to their off-field charity work with half a paragraph acknowledging that he is indeed, an NFL player.

14. Fans of the other teams can only name three of the players on your team if they used to play for their team.
Your post made me chuckle.

Qcard

Reaction score

2. Every time another team cuts a veteran, his name becomes the title of the next thread on your team's discussion forum with the first sentence, "We need this guy!"

4. The most polarizing issue is the starting QB and options for his replacement.

8. When defending your team's historic relevance, you have to reference their accomplishments before you were born.

10. Postgame show interviews feature the very players you were rooting against a half hour ago.

11. Game highlights routinely end with two of your team's DB's pointing fingers at each other or your QB walking off the field with his head lowered.

13. News of your teams players are limited to their off-field charity work with half a paragraph acknowledging that he is indeed, an NFL player.

14. Fans of the other teams can only name three of the players on your team if they used to play for their team.
15. When Felon NY radio host Carton's ghost writers is worthy of click bait

Chasing6

Reaction score

The last time you won you played in a different city.

dcstar

Reaction score
When Messers Jones start talking about licking the rim...errr...hitting the rim.....errr...being around the rim...errr...or whatever his drunk self said.

Go Cowboys!

ShortRound

Reaction score
Dak no Dak, oline, Amari, Romo, Zeke, Jerry, Stephen …. the how and who don’t interest me anymore. I just want to see us win and hope they figure it out before I get older.

raven55

Reaction score
they make have been good in the 90's but to the stupid management of dumb and dumber the chickens have come home to and now for the for seeable future there gonna be on the losing stick. there franchise qb is an in poster and there defense will be low grade if you look at the defense as a whole there not all that how many times again and again that good teams have exploited there secondary and have run at will on then and to make it short dak again and again goes to the bench with his head stuck between his legs so this season mark my words they will be non-factor in the playoffs even if they were to make them which they won't

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Great post.

Here‘s some other tidbits for perspective…The 1995 season was the last time the Cowboys won a divisional playoff game or appeared in an NFC championship game or SB….
  • In 1995, the #1 song was Coolio’s “Gansta’s Paradise”.
  • “Forrest Gump” won Best Picture at the Academy award.
  • Gallon of gas cost $1.15.
  • The most sold car in 1995 was the Ford Taurus.
  • Land line phones were prevalent.
  • Jerry Jones was 53. Stephen Jones was 31.
  • Zack Martin was 5. DeMarcus Lawrence was 3. Dak Prescott was 2.
  • Only 6 other members of the current roster were even born yet.
  • Tom Brady was a freshman QB at Michigan.
This list could go on…28 years is a long time.

plasticman

Reaction score

That's not even 100% accurate, explain to me how there's a handful of teams out there that have never won a Super Bowl ? Also explain to me how you think the average team's doing it when over the last what 15 years how many have the two teams won in New England and now it's Kansas city's turn to get their cycle going ?? How many different ones in between there have there been outside of those two teams ?? Not a lot I'm sure there are a few you can like spout off but teams are not regularly getting their return it's usually one team hitting their cycle which by the way explain to me how Kansas City took 52 years their drought was longer than ours before they started on this cycle sometimes these things winning comes in cycles but 52 years is longer than 28 last I checked...

Now I realize that narrative changes, when you say get to a Super Bowl or an NFC championship game,
that's different,
however even in that instance not a lot of teams are doing that on a regular basis but it's been since 1994 for the 49ers to have won a Super Bowl, that's longer than us.. so if the average team is winning Super Bowls that statement is wrong!! you should have use the term the average team has at least got to a championship game or at least made it to a Super Bowl.
For sure that's where the Dallas Cowboys are falling short and of course I'm disappointed but they're not embarrassing at all... I mean the Eagles have only won one Super Bowl in 60 years... so if this cycle is supposed to be winning Super Bowls on a regular basis every 32 years that's not true because there are some teams that only have one Super Bowl or there's some that have none since 1960!
So, here's a little difference, jerrys waiting on #4, the Cowboys are waiting on number six, we're not waiting around for one.. so if you want to use the law of averages technically if Jerry would have won one every 10 years, you'd have been more happy than three early and then a small 28 year drought??? its still 3 over 33years nealry 1 every 10..

For me the drought is not about winning the Super bowl, it's the NFC championship games, we need to get over that hump, but you did not state that stuff because it's absolutely inaccurate to say that every 32 years most average teams would have won a Super Bowl, that's not true at all .. I mean it seems to me in a short amount of time two teams have been two or have won about 15 of those it's not different teams it seems to be the same teams that get on a dynasty run like the Cowboys did in the 70s and the 90s.

So lastly,

once again I know people don't like my long rants we're off base when we call this embarrassing or even unsuccessful, this is literally disappointing and falling short, that is all it is and it comes in cycles our turn may come around very soon we don't know ...
I'm not saying that each team will win precisely one Super Bowl in 32 years. I am saying that an "average" (non-existent, theoretical) team will win one every 32 years.

Take all 32 teams, add up all their SB's in 32 years. Divide the number of teams by the number of total SB's and you would get exactly one. That is the "average" number of SB's won by each team. Some teams will have three. Some will have zero. But if you add up all the SB's in the past 32 seasons you will obviously get 32 SB's.

If you toss a coin then there is a 50% probability it will be a heads. However, that doesn't mean that if you toss a coin 100 times you will get 50 heads and 50 tails. You might get 52 heads and 48 tails. However, the more you keep tossing the coin, the more the probability of a heads approaches 50%.

In a league designed for parity, every team has the same opportunity to build a SB team. Although the draft and salary cap is supposed to make things more even, the is still differences between teams in terms of management, evaluation, philosophy, coaching, etc.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
  • “Forrest Gump” won Best Picture at the Academy award.
6pJhQSW.jpg

Quickdraw

Reaction score
The Buffalo Bills fan base would take that right now over what they've had since I guarantee it and I know we all want more but that's a terrible analogy I would rather get to the Super bowl and lose then not even have a shot at getting to the Super bowl.... In this whole premise that your team has to be in the Super bowl or whatever championship it is at the end of every year it's deemed unsuccessful it's ridiculous we have three other pro sports franchises in DFW that in their entire existence and thank the good Lord the Rangers finally took them 52 years to win one championship they only have three total literally 1 championship per team in our DFW area in their entire existence. Somehow Jerry got 3 early but because there's a small drought here and it actually is a small drought if you look at some of the other droughts in the NFL around sports that he doesn't know what he's doing and that it's completely deemed unsuccessful but how come the other three franchises together only have three Jerry has three we're waiting on number six we're not waiting on our first championship we're not waiting on our second we're waiting on #6.

What do our other local pro sports franchises have that Jerry doesn't have they changed coaches they changed gyms so do other teams around the NFL if that was a blueprint for success that was guaranteed it's not working for more than 20 to 28 teens look around there's been a couple of dynasties with the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs but other than that there are teams regularly competing in the Super Bowl.. And by your premise we're supposed to be looking up at the 49ers and looking at them as a blueprint they have not won a Super Bowl since 1994 and my math that would say longer than the Cowboys and if you're saying that that's the only goal that means they're just as unsuccessful as us because they're not winning Super Bowls either they're falling short yes we're worse but if that's the goal you're complaining the Buffalo Bills lost three straight or four straight Super Bowls and that they're not looked at as successful by getting there because they lost well that means there aren't many teams with happy fanbases they they should just shut down the NFL they should shut down all sports because teams are not winning championships on a regular basis...​

And that goes for our fan base I'd rather be a 12 and five team competing every year in the playoffs than being a five win team winning the offseason...

I think that's what you guys like, I think you you're so bored of winning 12 games and falling short in the playoffs that you just want to win free agency the New York Giants and Washington have spent more than free agency then the Cowboys or the Eagles and look at what it got them there are picking high in the draft for years..

how many great draft picks did the Cleveland Browns have for like a decade there was a couple years in a row they had three first round picks and what did it get them?? I mean rebuilding teams firing GM's, firing coaches, constantly changing your quarterbacks ,show me where that's a blueprint for success because that's what it seems like I'm reading here is every three or four years if it doesn't look right blow it all up and start from scratch....

I'm not saying I'm content or happy about the disappointing losses in the playoffs, but I think it's ridiculous to call us unsuccessful because it could be worse...
I'm not sure they would. Would you accept defeat just to say they at least made it? 2nd place means you failed to win. No trophies for 2nd place.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

that's different,

So lastly,

Blue, here’s some additional perspective of the last 28 years: Even though you can’t win it all or even get close every year, we should have been able to finish better than 5th-8th out of 32 teams at least once in three decades. Almost all NFL teams have at least done that.

Not winning even a divisional playoff game in 28 years basically means this organization puts itself in the company of only a few teams that have not been able to at least win a divisional playoff game. Take the NFC for example - only the Washed out commanders and the Cowboys have not been to an NFC championship game this century.

At this point this kind of inept playoff performance cannot be called “a cycle”. It’s the consequence of having the same leadership at the top who refuses to change.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm not saying that each team will win precisely one Super Bowl in 32 years. I am saying that an "average" (non-existent, theoretical) team will win one every 32 years.

Take all 32 teams, add up all their SB's in 32 years. Divide the number of teams by the number of total SB's and you would get exactly one. That is the "average" number of SB's won by each team. Some teams will have three. Some will have zero. But if you add up all the SB's in the past 32 seasons you will obviously get 32 SB's.

If you toss a coin then there is a 50% probability it will be a heads. However, that doesn't mean that if you toss a coin 100 times you will get 50 heads and 50 tails. You might get 52 heads and 48 tails. However, the more you keep tossing the coin, the more the probability of a heads approaches 50%.

In a league designed for parity, every team has the same opportunity to build a SB team. Although the draft and salary cap is supposed to make things more even, the is still differences between teams in terms of management, evaluation, philosophy, coaching, etc.
You know we're not going to agree on this because I'm going to keep bringing this up,,​
in the last 33 years Jerry Jones has three, now stack up all the other teams in the last 33 years who have 3 Super Bowls, just leave the drought out of it... it's just about Super Bowls, total Super Bowls, again if they hadn't won one every 10 years instead of three early and then have a drought what's the difference it's still 33 Super Bowls is more than three total championships by our other three pro sports teams here in DFW... So since 1989 how many teams have had three Super Bowl wins in the NFL that's how I look at it I realize we want it but again there are teams that have longer droughts and there are teams who have not won any Super Bowls and there are a whole lot of teams that I've only won one....​

Try that on for size,

stop with the theoretical hypotheticals and all the other nonsense because that's why you all have a big problem with this and I just rather look at it is each year is a new year, each year is a one off you never know when it's going to be your cycle..

it's ridiculous to put this all on them because other sports teams have had longer droughts including the chiefs 52 years and then you have to add the ones in have never won a Super Bowl your theory is wrong because most of the teams who are winning are a fraction of the 32 teams it literally is a a handful of teams that are winning all those championships and you know why I know this here's the last little actual fact that you need to remember when we're debating how is it that the Cowboys are on this long drought and still third all time in Super Bowl wins it shows that you lots of teams are not winning Super Bowls that top heavy top five the same teams that were top five ten years ago... The 49ers have had a nice little run here except for the fact that they haven't won a Super Bowl since 1994 and you keep glossing over it even them making a lot of championship games and Super Bowls they haven't won any since 1994... That's two years longer than the Cowboys so stop using several wins and start using proper arguments which would be getting to the NFC championship game and at least making a Super Bowl...

Apparently you didn't read the most important part is if you just changed the word from winning Super Bowls to actually making a Super Bowl then maybe you'd have an argument again the NFC championship games I get it we need to get there we need to get over the hump but those teams are not winning Super Bowls the 32 teams in the NFL are not cycling every 32 years to winning a championship that is not how it works it's the same fraction of teams with an outlier every once in a while....

But most of the teams who are known to have multiple dynasties in our winning Super Bowls are the ones that keep winning Super Bowls in certain cycles the chiefs are new to it but then you add in the Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, 9ers, pats into a certain extent the giants. That is hardly a large portion of the NFL... Yes the cycle over 32 years the is that more teams have made the championship game or at least got to a Super Bowl over that cycle and the Cowboys are in a drought but again the chiefs had a much longer drought it was twice as long and now they've cycled into a nice little run again the Cowboys will eventually get there if they don't they don't but I'm tired of hearing about the past or the future I'm a one year person..

The NFL is full of parity, it is become a week-to-week league during the year and it's a year-to-year league full of one offs, there isn't a lot of carryover especially for the larger part of the NFL...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Blue, here’s some additional perspective of the last 28 years: Even though you can’t win it all or even get close every year, we should have been able to finish better than 5th-8th out of 32 teams at least once in three decades. Almost all NFL teams have at least done that.

Not winning even a divisional playoff game in 28 years basically means this organization puts itself in the company of only a few teams that have not been able to at least win a divisional playoff game. Take the NFC for example - only the Washed out commanders and the Cowboys have not been to an NFC championship game this century.

At this point this kind of inept playoff performance cannot be called “a cycle”. It’s the consequence of having the same leadership at the top who refuses to change.
That's true but that's not what he was saying he's using words like unsuccessful and the other words like embarrassing and that is so far from the truth 5th through 8th is better than finishing way below that, there are a lot of teams that would trade places with us but he's trying to say that the cycles every 32 years teams are winning Super Bowls that's what he told me that's what we're debating...its not true at all.

I made it clear that I'm disappointed that we're falling short in the playoffs, we've had good enough teams to at least make a championship game and we've been unsuccessful in the playoffs but this team is far from a joke it's far from an embarrassment and it's far from using the word unsuccessful when there are 32 team league that we're consistently finishing in the top six... that means all the ones below us should just pack up and maybe we should turn into the UFL and only have eight teams play every other week because the rest of them just aren't good enough to be in this league by the resident zone experts expectations but at least the Cowboys would be one of those eight teams...​
That's a very good hypothetical an analogy we could use, If the NFL was struggling right now and they needed to cut a bunch of teams out of the league and shrink the league down in order to be successful, I guarantee you the Dallas Cowboys wouldn't be the team that gets cut... we would be one of the ones left standing for many reasons but one of them is we are winning and we are keeping the league relative people want to watch the Dallas Cowboys whether it's for them to win or lose, they're very popular that's why they're still America's team regardless of this drought.. The Dallas Cowboys are literally one of the top if not the top content used to create daily stories around social media and forums they still keep this league talking when there's nothing to talk about... The six degrees of separation to connect every single player or coach that needs a landing spot or the draft and where players might go the Cowboys always find a way into the conversation.​

I know common sense versus using the pitchfork and torch narratives that like to be spewed during the offseason when there's not a lot to talk about and no games...

so, the writers and the content creators have to write something, the Dallas Cowboys are still relative, they're still one of the better regular season teams even if you go all the way back to the year 2000 the Cowboys are one of the top teams in win percentage, we're making the playoffs on a regular basis...

I get it we're falling short we should expect more but using those descriptive words don't work for me....

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
This was supposed to be a fun, tongue in cheek, sit back and laugh, reference to all those loyal, long suffering fans of every team that has experienced a slump now or in the past.

If I was serious then my post would have been far more detailed and I would have mentioned specific names. Fans of every team in the NFL can assure you that this list was not limited to the Cowboys specifically. Every fan has experienced some or even most of these events at some point in time.

As a Cowboys fan, I appreciate your loyalty to the players on our team. If you were a fan of the Eagles or some other nemesis trying to use my post to trash the Cowboys then I could easily switch it around with more specific examples of your team.

"You know you are an Eagles fan when the dimensions of your Super Bowl Trophy room doesn't need to exceed 3 square feet"......not my best, but an example.
Just because it is a joke or sarcasm does not mean it as no meaning. I get it's copium. That is besides my point.

Motorola

Reaction score

Exhibit B: Daniel Snyder's 25 years as Washington's team owner___1999-2023

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Thanks for the levity, sometimes we take ourselves to seriously on this forum.
So too do the self-styled definers and defenders of 'comedy.'

Reminds me of comics self righteously acting like what they say has no consequences other than making people laugh.