You know you're at a dive bar when...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You don't need to look much further then Virginia. They still have that. You bring your own beverage and they sell you the glasses to use for X.

I remember a little BYOB bar in Louisiana. They sold soft drinks for a reasonable price. They were also selling solo cups of Orange Juice for some crazy amount of money per cup. Found out later the had a tab of acid taped to the bottom of the cups lol.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Where do you live? I've actually been to a couple there. Virginia Beach, Hampton. I think they actually passed a law in like 2012 where you can bring your own bottle to restaurants now.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
When you order a Redbull Vodka and they just give you a stir stick with no umbrella (scandalous!)

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Where do you live? I've actually been to a couple there. Virginia Beach, Hampton. I think they actually passed a law in like 2012 where you can bring your own bottle to restaurants now.

I live in Chesapeake, about 10 min away from VA Beach, 30 from Hampton. I know you can bring a bottle of unopened wine and pay a corking fee, but haven't see any bars set-up as BYOB.

rynochop

Reaction score
Theres a big crockpot of pinto beans going every sunday afternoon.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
People are selling tamales, baked bread goods, or some other homemade food..

arglebargle

Reaction score
... a place where the open trough urinal is right past the bar in the main room....

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember being on leave and was home. A buddy of mine took me to a "gentlemens" club.
This place was so bad that they did not have a DJ. They had a Juke Box and the performers on stage were asking people for Quarters for the juke box so they could dance to music.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
We still have some proper proper old school pubs over here. Story of a guy asking for a lager tops (pint glass nearly full of lager and topped up with lemonade) being told quite seriously by the barman that they don't do cocktails. Heard about a pub near the docks in Edinburgh last week a guy ordered a pint and a bag of crisps (or chips to you) who was reminded "it's a boozer yir in no a ****in restaurant"
Usually only frequent such places for a few jars before going to the football these days. Still prefer the old spit and sawdust pubs to strip lighting, chrome wine bars

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I remember being on leave and was home. A buddy of mine took me to a "gentlemens" club.
This place was so bad that they did not have a DJ. They had a Juke Box and the performers on stage were asking people for Quarters for the juke box so they could dance to music.

The Chappel baby joke popped into my head when I read that. Too funny!