You vehicle (SUV) purchase and use experiences... Honda, Toyota etc?

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Hey all,

In a couple of months I will be buying my daughter her first car. I know a good amount about alot of different cars and obviously you can(and I do) search the internet for info and ratings and reliability etc.

But I want to hear "real, first hand accounts" from car owners.

Anyone buy a Honda SUV? Pilot, CR-V? etc?

or a Toyota Rav4 etc?

Tell me about your experiences with them?

Tell me about other "reliable" vehicles etc.

Thanks in advance
Y

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Jeep Cherokees (NOT Grand Cherokees) are a great choice if you're buying used. I had one for about 7 years and abused the hell out of it. The 4.0L engine just won't die. Most people get diesel-like longevity out of them. Cheap too.

I'd take a 2002 Cherokee over just about any small SUV on the planet.

Route 66

Reaction score
tomson75;2562858 said:
Jeep Cherokees (NOT Grand Cherokees) are a great choice if you're buying used. I had one for about 7 years and abused the hell out of it. The 4.0L engine just won't die. Most people get diesel-like longevity out of them. Cheap too.

I'd take a 2002 Cherokee over just about any small SUV on the planet.

Cherokees seem bigger than they really are so I agree. Sounds like he wants an Import though.

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
We have a 2004 CR-V.
Very nice little SUV. Drives like a car and has that Honda reliability. No problems, just general maintenance with oil changes, etc. It being 4 cyl, it's not a speed demon, but it's has some move to it and it doesn't drag.

I'd say we're happy with it and can't think of anything negative to say about it, except that now my wife likes the way the RAV-4 looks better.

If I remember correctly from when we did our research, the Rav-4 has a little less cargo room, but it's not much different: a good little truck that'll be reliable. We didn't test drive one of those, so I can't tell if it performs as well.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We have a Mazda CX-9 and LOVE it.

They have a CX-7 which is smaller and I would guess built on the same platform.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I have a Ford Explorer and haven't had any major issues with it other than putting gas in it. :D

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Yes I am learning towards a Honda... but the info on the Jeep was very interesting and helpful.

Thanks and keep it coming :)

Route 66

Reaction score
YoMick;2563186 said:
Yes I am learning towards a Honda... but the info on the Jeep was very interesting and helpful.

Thanks and keep it coming :)

I was surprised at how small the Jeep is inside which for her would be a good thing instead of something big. Gas mileage may be an issue however.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Wife drives a Highlander and I drive a Rav-4. Love both the cars. I have never had the 1st problem with the RAv-4. I know the ones they make today are on a bigger wheel base and look like the previous Highlander. I would buy Toyota no matter what they made. The reliability is 2nd to none.

Soon as the REal Estate Business comes back in 100 years, I am going to get another Highlander and another Rav-4.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Check out the FJ Cruiser too. It is a little heavier vehicle that looks and drives great.

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
We just bought a 2009 CR-V. Love it.

It's very comparable to the Rav-4 in size and amenities, but we ended up getting a really great deal on the CR-V so we took it.

Between the two of them, the CR-V was my preference.

The only major difference was that the Rav-4 has a V6 but the CR-V does not offer one, only the 4cyl. IMO, it's fine, though.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
I own a 2004 BMW X3 and I love it. It has a 2.5L I-6 that gets 28-30 mpg (hwy). AWD with Dynamic Stability Control, more airbags than Congress and a life expectancy of 250K+ miles. Best SUV on the planet, bar none.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
We bought a 2008 Pilot in May and we love it. No complaints.

My mom used to have a CR-V and I really liked it, but my dad thought it was a little bit small and said it was "too noisy."

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!!

FloridaRob;2563957 said:
Check out the FJ Cruiser too. It is a little heavier vehicle that looks and drives great.

Thanks for the info on the Rav4. Currently I am in between Rav4 and Honda CR-v.

The FJ Cruiser...well... a few weeks back my father asked me to look into it because he wanted it. So I spent a few days researching and reading forums and talking to dealers etc.

My findings - The car is cheaply made based on alot of accounts... not all but alot. The interior is cheap, it rattles, blindspots... windshiled complaints - cracks easily. Its more off road than it is a "good ride".

So... I wanted to ask you.... have you heard about the Dealership in Davie, Fl. They are supposed to be real deal. You buy one Dodge Ram and get another vehicle free. I know scams are scams... but I heard they closed 40 deals already.

Any news?

Thanks

Just curious... not looking for a Dodge.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chief;2564618 said:
We bought a 2008 Pilot in May and we love it. No complaints.

My mom used to have a CR-V and I really liked it, but my dad thought it was a little bit small and said it was "too noisy."

My boss bought a Pilot last year and within a month someone tried to break in to it or steal it.

I keep hoping maybe someone will steal my explorer so I can get rid of the payments and get something cheaper. :laugh2:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2564923 said:
I keep hoping maybe someone will steal my explorer so I can get rid of the payments and get something cheaper. :laugh2:
PM me your address. Guido's looking for some overtime. :D

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeagermeister;2565012 said:
Let me get my cd's out of it. :laugh2:

That's one of the reasons you copy all of your CDs to CDRs.:D