Not bad either..

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
How did Minny's 3-4 end up?

Only 21st rated D?

Not bad......

They ended up in the 3-4 because their 4-3 was so pitiful. They improved once they they went to the 3-4.

And you're projecting that 3-4 teams passed on Erasmus James because they didn't feel like he could play the position, when they could have passed on him for other reasons. Primarily his injury history. I have no doubt James is athletic enough to man the position. He's more athletic than many people who currently play the position in the NFL at a Pro Bowl caliber level.

Meanwhile, is there a player currently starting in the NFL in a 3-4 that played OLB rather than DE in a 4-3 in college? I don't believe there is. Fancy that, as hugely important as playing in space seems to be (at least on this board) that you wouldn't have at least one. Nope, all former college DE's.

Must be why they are moving Kevin Burnett inside ASAP.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I don't know how he was in drills. I do know he had 37.5 career sacks, and 57 career TFL's playing against the best competition in the country. That's almost identical to what David Pollack produced in college. I also know that everyone was drooling at the prospect of him coming out in the draft as a junior with last year's 11th pick, but now he suddenly sucks. Paralysis by analysis?

I'm honestly a bit surprised by your take on this Rosh. I would think that eye witness opinion would be of more value to you then just looking at statistics and forming an opinion. For what it's worth, I have been very high on this player since his Jr. year so I guess I was one of those one of the drooling masses you speak of. I never liked Pollack but I did like this player. I still like him but not as a 34 DE or even OLB. I think he fits perfectly as a 43 Rush End. I guess we will see.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I'm honestly a bit surprised by your take on this Rosh. I would think that eye witness opinion would be of more value to you then just looking at statistics and forming an opinion. For what it's worth, I have been very high on this player since his Jr. year so I guess I was one of those one of the drooling masses you speak of. I never liked Pollack but I did like this player. I still like him but not as a 34 DE or even OLB. I think he fits perfectly as a 43 Rush End. I guess we will see.

I look at both. I've seen him play upwards of 10 times and I've looked at how he has performed in drills. Both of them lead me to believe he has the skill set to play in the 3-4.

If I have a fault with him its that he's so long limbed and angular that it takes a while for him to uncurl himself out of a 3 point stance. He looks like an old man trying ot get out of a chair. He’s as fast on his 2nd to 5th steps as any player I’ve ever seen. He’s a gazelle and he chews up huge chunks of yardage with his long strides. That's why I think he'll be even better playing in a two point stance than he will with his hand on the ground in a 4-3. He'll be even faster if he can start from an upright position.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
They ended up in the 3-4 because their 4-3 was so pitiful. They improved once they they went to the 3-4.

And you're projecting that 3-4 teams passed on Erasmus James because they didn't feel like he could play the position, when they could have passed on him for other reasons. Primarily his injury history. I have no doubt James is athletic enough to man the position. He's more athletic than many people who currently play the position in the NFL at a Pro Bowl caliber level.

Meanwhile, is there a player currently starting in the NFL in a 3-4 that played OLB rather than DE in a 4-3 in college? I don't believe there is. Fancy that, as hugely important as playing in space seems to be (at least on this board) that you wouldn't have at least one. Nope, all former college DE's.

How many "pure" linebackers are we even considering here? Heck, even Carpenter played with his hand on the ground for a large portion of this past year.

However, you do need some LB type skills. Playing in space, coverage skills, stout at the point of attack. Not every undersized or non-prototypical DE has those skills.

How many 3-4 OLBs in the NFL have had some experience playing LB at some point along the line?

Rush 2112

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

Donnie Edwards, Randall Godfrey, Scott Fujita/Al Singleton, James, Shanle, Dat, Foote, 2-3 guys in SF, 2-3 guys in Cleveland, 2 guys in Houston.

Get the picture?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Donnie Edwards, Randall Godfrey, Scott Fujita/Al Singleton, James, Shanle, Dat, Foote, 2-3 guys in SF, 2-3 guys in Cleveland, 2 guys in Houston.

Get the picture?

Almost everyone single one of those guys you mentioned are inside linebackers in the 3-4, except for guys who their current teams are trying to replace because they don't fit the system. LOL.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I look at both. I've seen him play upwards of 10 times and I've looked at how he has performed in drills. Both of them lead me to believe he has the skill set to play in the 3-4.

If I have a fault with him its that he's so long limbed and angular that it takes a while for him to uncurl himself out of a 3 point stance. He looks like an old man trying ot get out of a chair. He’s as fast on his 2nd to 5th steps as any player I’ve ever seen. He’s a gazelle and he chews up huge chunks of yardage with his long strides. That's why I think he'll be even better playing in a two point stance than he will with his hand on the ground in a 4-3. He'll be even faster if he can start from an upright position.

I will admit that I have been impressed with his edge speed on the occasions I have had opportunity to watch him, while at BC. However, he does not play with leverage. If he ends up being a DE in a 34, I think he will get ate up. I agree with you in that he does not engage well off the snap. I just think he plays too high. In a 43, he's Simeon Rice all over again. In a 34, I don't know.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
Almost everyone single one of those guys you mentioned are inside linebackers in the 3-4, except for guys who their current teams are trying to replace because they don't fit the system. LOL.

And half those teams passed on Erasmus even though they needed 3-4 OLB's :lmao2: :lmao: :laugh1:

Minny's 3-4 D got better and the staff ended up where?:lmao2: :laugh2: :lmao: :laugh1: