You will probably be bummed out on draft day

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Roy Williams is the best SS in Pro Football but "he is a good player but not near what you had hoped he'd be".

Gimme' a friggin' break! lol

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Tass said:
It's true. I don't think the Boys have EVER drafted the player I was hoping for (Fonoti, Pollack, Sopoaga, S. Jackson all spring to mind).

Oh, well...I'll still watch and hope THIS will be the year!
I've been ok with the 1st round picks, but the later round picks have just killed me. Last year I was dying for one of the safeties that were available in the 5th and up. I think Butler, Shazor, Meeuwsen and some others were still there, and the team just kept hurting me. Overall, Parcells late picks, besides last year, have a lot to be desired. A lot of wasted picks IMO.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Paniolo22 said:
I've been ok with the 1st round picks, but the later round picks have just killed me. Last year I was dying for one of the safeties that were available in the 5th and up. I think Butler, Shazor, Meeuwsen and some others were still there, and the team just kept hurting me. Overall, Parcells late picks, besides last year, have a lot to be desired. A lot of wasted picks IMO.

Just imagine how good this team would be with Butler, Shazor, or Meeuwsen!

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
i think what parcells tends to do with the later picks is draft back-ups and needs of the future (i.e. say we have a 30 year old reciever, in the 6th we might draft a WR and hope that he is good to go when our 30 year old retires). and later picks are for special teams and back-ups neways. you cant expect to much of em, and this is what parcells does, drafts players who could in the future maybe be transition players until we get a true player for that position. he almost treats the latter rounds like free agency. take Patrick Crayton for instance, 1st year if one was asked about him theyd say who? 2nd year theyd say - oh hes a good special teamer, runs clean routes and makes clutch catches nad now 3rd year - hes a solid #3 WR, good special teamer and burnt the raiders for 63 yards. lets see what they say after this year, since 3 years is the charm.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I wanted Aikman/Roy Williams/Terrance Newman/and this year, I want any of these players.
Manny Lawson
Bobby Carpenter
Winston Justice
Chad Jackson
Kamerion Wimbley
Davin Joseph
Donte Whitner
Jason Allen
Chris Gocong
Todd Watkins
Chris Chester
Greg Jennings
Steve Fifta

I have many more on the list, but I'm tired. I just hope we can trade our picks for the next 10 years and get all of these folks...:)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Idgit said:
Just imagine how good this team would be with Butler, Shazor, or Meeuwsen!

Do any of those guys even have a job? I think only Meeuwsen was actually drafted. Obviously if all teams passed on the other two there must of been a reason for it.

I was also one of those guys going crazy cuz the cowboys kept passing on Butler (where is he now anyway?).

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Rack said:
Do any of those guys even have a job? I think only Meeuwsen was actually drafted. Obviously if all teams passed on the other two there must of been a reason for it.

I was also one of those guys going crazy cuz the cowboys kept passing on Butler (where is he now anyway?).
I think Butler is with the Giants and they are really high on him. I think I was pissed more because they were there and we really needed a safety rather than who ever else they picked. Anyway, turns out lucky we got Petitti. I think.

Smith22

Reaction score
I don't know, they've picked guys I wanted, which turned out to be both good and bad.

Good: Witten, TNew, RW, Canty
Bad: Bryant, Gurode
Undecided: Burnett

Woods

Reaction score
I'd be happy with any of these guys in the 1st round at 18,

Lawson
Wembley
Carpenter
Bunkley
Justice

In the 2nd, I'd be happy with

D. Joseph (G/OT)
Bullocks (FS)
Spencer (G)
Winston (OT)
Howard (OLB)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple players.

Eddie

Reaction score
Expect the unexpected. The only predictions on first rounders I ever got right was Ebenzer Ekuban, Roy Williams, and Terrance Newman. All others were up in the air, and no where close to what I thought.

This year will be no different. I don't think we have a clue who BP will take. Regardless of moving up or down in the draft, we won't have an incling as to who we'll take. Scratch out Carpenter and Lawson. OLB's are a dime a dozen. We can get plenty of quality OLB's later in the draft.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Tass said:
It's true. I don't think the Boys have EVER drafted the player I was hoping for (Fonoti, Pollack, Sopoaga, S. Jackson all spring to mind).

Oh, well...I'll still watch and hope THIS will be the year!

they did for me once in recent years and it turned out to be a collosal bust, so I'm less concerned about it than I used to be. I'm talking about David LaFleur

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
fiveandcounting said:
they did for me once in recent years and it turned out to be a collosal bust, so I'm less concerned about it than I used to be. I'm talking about David LaFleur

I wouldnt rate LaFleur a bust as much as it was just bad luck for us...the guy had a degnerative condition in his back, that wasnt our fault...if not for that he might have really turned into something because he was a decent athlete for his size, had great hands and was a tremendous run blocker...people forget he had 8 td catches in Chan Gailey's offense (which de-emphasized the TE) and that he did make some tremendous grabs (the two tds vs Cinci his rookie yr come to mind) during his time here

he was nowhere near the flop guys like Dwayne Goodrich, Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman or Shane Hannah were

David

Eddie

Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
I wouldnt rate LaFleur a bust as much as it was just bad luck for us...the guy had a degnerative condition in his back, that wasnt our fault...if not for that he might have really turned into something because he was a decent athlete for his size, had great hands and was a tremendous run blocker...people forget he had 8 td catches in Chan Gailey's offense (which de-emphasized the TE) and that he did make some tremendous grabs (the two tds vs Cinci his rookie yr come to mind) during his time here

he was nowhere near the flop guys like Dwayne Goodrich, Shante Carver, Kavika Pittman or Shane Hannah were

David

We gave up a 3rd rounder to move up 2 spots to take LaFluer when we could have gotten him anyway. Bad luck and bust are pretty much the same thing.

He was a tremendous blocker, but not the pass catching threat Troy needed.

So in a sense, LaFluer was a 1st and 3rd round bust ... two in one shot.

Then again, he wasn't the biggest flop ... those other guys were worse.

Those post Jimmy, pre-BP drafts were pathetic.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Those post Jimmy, pre-BP drafts were pathetic.

as bad as they were...they did get Larry Allen, Randall Godfrey, Dexter Coakley, Greg Ellis, Flozelle Adams, Dat Nguyen, Roy Williams

its not much, but those guys were/are pretty good players

David

Doomsday101

Reaction score
As long as Dallas is not reaching for players I normally do not get upset about the draft. I see many option that they can look at in this draft that would fall under BPA that fits our needs. I feel we have done a much better job in the draft over the last 3 to 4 years so I can say I'm looking forward to this upcoming draft. For those who are looking at just 1 particular player then chances are you going to be disappointed.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I wanted Ware and Spears and would've settled for Merriman and Spears last season and they got them both. I wanted them to take Roy Williams and they did. And I wanted them to take Terrell Suggs, but would've settled for Newman, which they did.

So for me, since 2002 I haven't been too disappointed.

Rich..........

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Paniolo22 said:
Last year I was dying for one of the safeties that were available in the 5th and up. I think Butler, Shazor, Meeuwsen and some others were still there, and the team just kept hurting me.
All 3 went undrafted. There is a reason for that.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
Well it's time for me to apologize again, I passed on Meriman and I was wrong, I wanted Jammer over Williams and was wrong again. I think the Boys ought to only take three things here, nt,lb, and o-line in whatever order works, was really hoping they would one more FA like Arrington or a fs so we could maybe take more chances in the draft, we still got holes folks in both lines and lb..

Marktui

Reaction score
I just have to hope that Ireland and his team are doing there job. There are players out there that I would like to see in a Cowboys uniform, Wimbely, Thomas Howard, Davin Joseph, Broderick Bunklely.

But I will leave it up to the guys who work at it in real life. These guys attend all the practices, see all the films, talk to the coaches.

With all that, I am holding them to finding at least 1 starter out of this draft and 3 players who will be able to compete for a job in the next two years.