CFZ Your All Time Overrated Draft Pet Cats

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft day is here. This time of year is when “Pet Cat Disease” (or PCD) hits the strongest. You know the symptoms- Cowboys fans breaking into a cold sweat after watching a draft prospect’s overrated college highlight film, then falling in draft love with a mediocre pro prospect this team “has to have”. We were thrilled when they were drafted. We’ve all probably had at least 1 or 2 pet cats that turned out to be not that great.

Which leads me to ask: Who are the all time overrated Cowboys fans Pet Cats of the past? Here’s my short list:
  • Rico Gathers- a former basketball player drafted in the 6th round in 2016, projected as a TE. Gathers quickly became an OTA and preseason legend- especially against UFAs in preseason games. You know like a 175 lb safety from a directional mid-major school that would never make an NFL roster. I’ve never seen a more overrated player than Rico Gathers, who stayed stashed on this roster for too long.
  • Matt Johnson- a Safety selected by the Cowboys in the 4th round of the 2012 draft out of Eastern Washington. Considered a freak athlete, Johnson was kept on the IR for two full seasons although he never played a down of regular season NFL football. I remember many fans believing he was a future stud who just needed to stop pulling hammies.
  • Beau Morgan- a former QB from Air Force who was being converted to RB in the Jimmy Johnson/Barry Switzer era. Morgan was an UFA who was essentially just a camp body who happened to lead the team in rushing in preseason. Which somehow convinced loads of fans that he was the real deal. Two straight preseasons Morgan led the team in rushing. And two straight Septembers, the Cowboys cut him, much to the pain of many Cowboys pet cat owners.
  • Alexander Wright- a former second round pick of the Cowboys in Jimmy’s second draft in 1990. Wright was drafted because of his 4.4 speed and nothing else. He was fast, but as the old sayings go, “He couldn’t catch a cold”, or “Couldn’t play dead in a western movie”. Fast doesn’t make you a football player. Wright’s best year as a Cowboy was his first, when he caught 11 passes. Was traded to the raiders in ‘92.
There are many more infamous overrated pet cats. Who’s on your list? Maybe you have some in this year’s draft?

kskboys

Reaction score
Don't forget ol' RRII!!!

Reggie Robinson was a stiff athlete and was never going to be anything more than a STer.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I visit the draft forum threads I’m often struck by how many fans are wowed by a college player’s film highlights against inferior college competition. It can be very misleading.

Examples without using names- like watching a player’s highlights from OU or Ala playing against a directional school without a single player on their roster who could even make a power 5 roster. Those players look like NFL All Pros against players who would never even make a camp body in the NFL.

cowboyec

Reaction score
this year my de pet cat is that big texas a&m aggie michael clemmons.
hope we get him.
i also like alex wright,uab and that 6'6 iowa st cyclone whose name i can't spell....e-somethin' u'somethin'.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft day is here. This time of year is when “Pet Cat Disease” (or PCD) hits the strongest. You know the symptoms- Cowboys fans breaking into a cold sweat after watching a draft prospect’s overrated college highlight film, then falling in draft love with a mediocre pro prospect this team “has to have”. We were thrilled when they were drafted. We’ve all probably had at least 1 or 2 pet cats that turned out to be not that great.

Which leads me to ask: Who are the all time overrated Cowboys fans Pet Cats of the past? Here’s my short list:
  • Rico Gathers- a former basketball player drafted in the 6th round in 2016, projected as a TE. Gathers quickly became an OTA and preseason legend- especially against UFAs in preseason games. You know like a 175 lb safety from a directional mid-major school that would never make an NFL roster. I’ve never seen a more overrated player than Rico Gathers, who stayed stashed on this roster for too long.
  • Matt Johnson- a Safety selected by the Cowboys in the 4th round of the 2012 draft out of Eastern Washington. Considered a freak athlete, Johnson was kept on the IR for two full seasons although he never played a down of regular season NFL football. I remember many fans believing he was a future stud who just needed to stop pulling hammies.
  • Beau Morgan- a former QB from Air Force who was being converted to RB in the Jimmy Johnson/Barry Switzer era. Morgan was an UFA who was essentially just a camp body who happened to lead the team in rushing in preseason. Which somehow convinced loads of fans that he was the real deal. Two straight preseasons Morgan led the team in rushing. And two straight Septembers, the Cowboys cut him, much to the pain of many Cowboys pet cat owners.
  • Alexander Wright- a former second round pick of the Cowboys in Jimmy’s second draft in 1990. Wright was drafted because of his 4.4 speed and nothing else. He was fast, but as the old sayings go, “He couldn’t catch a cold”, or “Couldn’t play dead in a western movie”. Fast doesn’t make you a football player. Wright’s best year as a Cowboy was his first, when he caught 11 passes. Was traded to the raiders in ‘92.
There are many more infamous overrated pet cats. Who’s on your list? Maybe you have some in this year’s draft?

You dare besmirch the legend of Matt Johnson?

GMO415

Reaction score

Alexander Wright the highest paid decoy in the NFL.

Carson

Reaction score
Patrick Watkins, FS, Florida State. Man I did literal cartwheels in the living room when we drafted him. Had the 6'5 frame, tons of range, and was the free safety this team needed.

Skyler Green, WR, LSU. Another one, I thought was going to change the return game up in Big D.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Cowboys used several picks not knowing if they’d ever play . Staubach in 1964 with their 10th round pick having to wait and wonder if he’d play after serving duty for 5 years with Navy.

In 1985 we used our 5th round pick on Herschel Walker rights in the event the USFL didn’t make it.

Both picks arguably were the difference in leading us to our Super Bowl wins in both eras .

Tex Schramm and Gil Brandt arguably the greatest GM and VP of player personnel in their era . Both in the HOF. And they had a pretty good HC named Landry also in the HOF. Truly our greatest Triplets ever and probably in NFL history.

An era when we rarely questioned our drafts and or strategies. In them we trusted.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Yep Jerry snookered Al Davis out of a 4th round pick for this guy LOL
He was a decent Kick Off returner from what I recall, I know he returned one for a TD

eromeopolk

Reaction score

As you know from my draft posts, all my PDP (pet draft players) hit and were Pro Bowlers, HOF, ROH, are very good NFL Players. Example Micah Parson...Told You!

So I will tell you players that were my PDP but injuries, drugs, or stupid personnel moves shorten their careers...in Dallas/Arlington.
Robert Shaw C (injury killed Landry)
Jess Penn LB (was a big play coverage LB and injury killed Landry)
Reggie Collier QB (before his time, Landry should have given him a fair shot)
Billy Cannon Jr. LB (injury killed Landry)
Jimmy Smith WR (Jerry Dumbo GM Jones)
Godfrey Myles LB
Ron Stone OL (Jerry Dumbo GM Jones)
Willie Jackson WR (Jerry Dumbo GM Jones)
David LaFluer TE
Michael "Halloween" Myers DT (he would have developed into Glover)
Peppi Zellner DE/OLB (OLB best position)
Quincy Carter QB (Jerry Dumbo GM Jones)
Pete Hunter DB
Jason Hatcher DL (only Cowboys Pro Bowl DT since 2013)
Skyler Green RB/WR/KR (LA legend)
Martellus Bennett TE (Jerry Dumbo GM Jones)
Tashard Choice RB
Dwayne Harris WR/KR (Jerry Dumbo GM Jones)
Morris Claiborne CB
James Hanna TE
Dak Prescott QB (its coming)
Trysten Hill DT (its coming)
Connor McGovern OL (its coming)
Jabril Cox (its coming)

Shaw, Penn, Cannon Jr., and Mike Sherrad (not my PDP) are the reasons Landry had those 3 bad seasons that got him fired (the league was also passing him up). But when you lose 3 1st round picks to injuries, a 2nd round pick, and flop on Rod Hill and Jeff Roher, you can not coach your way out off that bad luck.