Your favorite quotes or sayings..

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964

Faerluna

I'm Complicated
Reaction score
Hope is passion for what is possible.

A lot of nerds aren't aware they're nerds. A geek has thrown his hands up to the universe and gone, "I speak Klingon — who am I fooling? You win! I'm just gonna openly like what I like." Geeks tend to be a little happier with themselves.

Most of us miss out on life's big prizes. The Pulitzer. The Nobel. Oscars. Tonys. Emmys. But we're all eligible for life's small pleasures. A pat on the back. A kiss behind the ear. A four-pound bass. A full moon. An empty parking space. A crackling fire. A great meal. A glorious sunset. Hot soup. Cold beer.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but surely the world will change for that one animal.

If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. - St. Francis of Assisi

ethiostar

Reaction score
A bit lengthy but always inspirational, at least to me.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”-Desmond Tutu

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoevsky, is the greatest novel ever written, and it contains so many memorable passages... here are two that I've always found very meaningful:

"The science of this world, which has become a great power, has, especially in the last century, analyzed everything divine handed down to us in the holy books. After this cruel analysis the learned of this world have nothing left of all that was sacred of old. But they have only analyzed the parts and overlooked the whole, and indeed their blindness is marvelous. Yet the whole still stands steadfast before their eyes, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Has it not lasted nineteen centuries, is it not still a living, a moving power in the individual soul and in the masses of people? It is still as strong and living even in the souls of atheists, who have destroyed everything! For even those who have renounced Christianity and attack it, in their inmost being still follow the Christian ideal, for hitherto neither their subtlety nor the ardour of their hearts has been able to create a higher ideal of man and of virtue than the ideal given by Christ of old. When it has been attempted, the result has been only grotesque."

"Imagine that you are creating a fabric of human destiny with the object of making men happy in the end, giving them peace and rest at last, but that it was essential and inevitable to torture to death only one tiny creature... and to found that edifice on its unavenged tears, would you consent to be the architect on those conditions? Tell me, and tell the truth."

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Faerluna;2720535 said:
Most of us miss out on life's big prizes. The Pulitzer. The Nobel. Oscars. Tonys. Emmys. But we're all eligible for life's small pleasures. A pat on the back. A kiss behind the ear. A four-pound bass. A full moon. An empty parking space. A crackling fire. A great meal. A glorious sunset. Hot soup. Cold beer.

that made me laugh, don't know why

Faerluna said:
Saving one animal won't change the world, but surely the world will change for that one animal.

I like that one

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
do not follow the common path...go where there is no path and leave a trail.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi ((((I am a Christian but this is a reminder to myself to attempt to be Christlike))))

"When angry count to four; when very angry, swear."
-- Mark Twain (((( To me folks who fly off the handle all the time just get ignored and love to put on a show while those who never fly off the handle are apathetic wastes of time))))

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
-- Aristotle (((( This and some Nietzsche stuff remind me to always challenge popular perception. We learn nothing accepting everything is as we are told it is))))

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
When it comes to bullcrap, big-time, major league bullcrap, you have to stand in awe of the all-time champion of false promises and exaggerated claims, religion. No contest. No contest. Religion. Religion easily has the greatest bullcrap story ever told. Think about it. Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

But He loves you. He loves you, and He needs money! He always needs money! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle money! Religion takes in billions of dollars, they pay no taxes, and they always need a little more. Now, you talk about a good bullcrap story.

- George Carlin (edited dont want another infraction)

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
lane;2720551 said:
do not follow the common path...go where there is no path and leave a trail.
The Mushroom Hunters Creed.

:D

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
"Your greatest achievement isn't that you never fall, but rising again when you do fall."

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
"A man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over a man who cannot read." --Mark Twain

"There is no chance, no fate, no destiny, that can circumvent or hinder or control, the firm resolve a determined soul." --Ella Wheeler Wilcox

My favorites though are by some old cowboys I listened to when I grew up. I often say "a wise old cowboys once told me..." and then I finish with a quote from one of them. Every one of these is real stuff that they actually said that I remember. Some have had interesting twists and interpretations in my life. These are real. Every one of these is advice I have been given by the old cowboys in my home town. They are all long gone now. These are memories I hope will never fade.

"Never kick a turd on a hot day."

"Don't crap where you eat."

"Never approach a mule from behind, a bull from the front, or a fool from any direction."

"He's all gurgle and no guts."

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hostile;2720823 said:
"Never approach a mule from behind, a bull from the front, or a fool from any direction."

care to interpret that one? :confused:

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
the kid 05;2720833 said:

A mule, like a horse will kick you.

A Bull with run through you.

I'm guessing a fool will bring you down to his level.

needforspeed

Legend in my spare time
Reaction score
It's better to keep your mouth shut and let everyone think you're a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Fool's names and fool's faces often appear in public places.

I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

He didn't get that round mouth eatin' square meals.--L. Tisor

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
the kid 05;2720833 said:

EveryoneElse;2720847 said:
A mule, like a horse will kick you.

A Bull with run through you.

I'm guessing a fool will bring you down to his level.
Pretty much on the money.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
"It is what it is"

Short but it says alot... and its true.

"I lose half my money on advertising, I just dont know which half"

"the only constant is change"

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
My favorite is my sig line.

Also,

Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle. - Steinbach's Guideline for Systems Programmers.

I wanted a perfect ending. Now I've learned, the hard way, that some poems don't rhyme, and some stories don't have a clear beginning, middle, and end. Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next. Delicious Ambiguity. - Gilda Radner

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good oft might win, by fearing to attempt." Shakespeare

Everything chicken but the beak( a loudmouth person who really is afraid) my Grandfather

My favorite:
Galatians 6:7:

7Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

Also anything in Proverbs I find to be really good.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
YoMick;2720921 said:
"It is what it is"

Short but it says alot... and its true.
:bang2:

i HATE that saying. It says nothing. Its basically someone saying, I don't have anything important or intelligent to say, so I'll run off the bullcrap doublespeak. It is what it is.... No **** sherlock.

/rant

jem88

Reaction score
"Tell number 29 to get back on that Lucky Charms box!"

If you need me to tell you who said that, then you aren't a real Cowboys fan.