Your Favorite Teacher

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hey Tomson75 makes a great point about the other thread and the bad teachers. While we all may have had some, I hope it is true that we also had great teachers. Let's pay tribute to those teachers if you wish.

Mine will be Mr. Sauer. He was a tiny man. I doubt he was 5'6", and I know he didn't weigh 120 pounds soaking wet with rocks in his pants pockets. But my gosh was he a fantastic teacher.

In 9th grade I had him for Physical Science. In 10th grade for Chemistry. In 11th grade for Chemistry II which was only open to students who showed in the other chemistry class that they were truly interested. And my Senior year I had him for Physics. The only teacher I had a class from every single year of High School.

He was funny and just plain fun. He loved to tell silly little jokes. One of my favorites was a day he walked in and drew a line and wrote AM at the top of the line. Then another line and another and another all starting from the same basic point on the chalk board until he had several lines in all directions with AM at top of each line. He then took roll and left us all wondering. As he started his lecture he decided he needed to write something on the board so he walked over and grabbed the eraser to erase this drawing. Before he did he turned around and said to us, "This is an AM bush."

It was a stupid pun, but we loved it.

He would ask questions of the class, and if he wanted a no answer and no one said anything he would say, "Shake your head side to side." Naturally if he wanted a yes answer he would say, "Nod your head up and down."

In Chemistry II one day he had a stack of beakers and test tubes and stuff on a tray. He said he had asked the school for new glassware because these were all scaled and starting to affect outcomes. They turned him down because the glassware was all intact. So he picked up the tray and walked back to the storage room for all of the equipment. Just outside the door, he pretended to trip and then dumped the entire contents of the tray into the trash can where it broke.

Well, most of it did anyway. He stood there with his hand on his cheek and said, "Oh my, what a terrible accident." I walked back there and peered into the trash can. There was one unbroken Pyrex beaker. I picked it up out of the trash and said, "It's not a total loss Mr. Sauer, this one survived." I then threw it down into the trash can and broke it.

Mr. Sauer put his arm around my neck and squeezed it and said, "I like your style."

One of my favorite things about him was that you actually learned. He said of my Physics class that if we could pass his Physics class with a D we could make an A in college Physics. He wasn't kidding. I got a D one quarter because I was goofing off too much. I tutored my first college roommate in Physics and it seemed easy.

He had a great philosophy about learning. Before each school year he would tell us this about his tests, "In life there are calculators. In life there are textbooks. On my tests you can use your calculators. You can use your textbooks. I want you to learn how to use the resources available to you. Anything that you can carry into my classroom can be used on a test."

One day in Physics before a test I put my books down on my desk and went outside to the hall where he was standing. I picked him up and carried him into the classroom and said, "I carried you into class, I want to use you on the test."

He loved it. Of course I had to take the test without his help, but each time he walked by he would put his hand on my shoulder reassuringly. The guy was just an outstanding human being and a fantastic teacher.

Tell us about yours.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Mrs Robertson. 7th grade math.

She was nice, gave you leeway if you were actually giving effort. She would stay after school to help anyone that ask. She had a great relationship with all of her students. She would joke around and play in class. (if everyone's work was done) and every day she would have a logic puzzle on the board. You didn't have to do it. It was just a fun part of her class.

She was awesome.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Mine would be three teachers:

Mrs. Champion she taught English, French and Spanish. She always cracked me up when she got upset the accent and slang came out. lol

Mrs. Cantrell she taught all the sciences. She always brought in students teachers and we would put them through all kinds of hell.

1SG Iavolo he taught the first year JROTC students. He was a WWII, Korea and Vietnam veteran so he had tons of stories and we would get him off track all the time. :D

rkell87

Reaction score
I said it in the other thread, 10th grade history coach maurie, kept our attention and played games to review for tests, mostly jeopardy but sometimes trash ball, joked with us, had a passion for teaching as much as he had for coaching tennis. the thing I liked the best is that almost everything was multiple choice, so you know you earned the grade you received, nothing I hated more than working hard on a paper only to receive a 2 out of 4 because of subjectivity

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
none of my teachers particularly stand out, good or bad, but I owe a mountain of gratitude for my high school guidance counselor. Without his help, I would not be where I am today.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
I had one in the 6th grade. She was so hot and drove a 84 black and gold firebird. She was pretty great in the in the classroom too. I enjoyed all of my time in Ms. Bensons class. :D

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I had quite a few of them, but my eleventh grade English teacher was my favorite. She probably boosted my SATs more than I will ever realize.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Mr. Campany. He was my 5th grade home class teacher. Up until then, every teacher I had was pretty much under the 'girls = good, boys = bad' ideology. Mr. Campany had the reputation of favoring boys over the girls, but in reality he just didn't let anybody slide. In fact, he played a great practical joke using the girls against the boys once where he claimed he had a sports trivia contest that would count against our grade and gave the girls the answer to the test while the boys were in gym class. Every one of the boys failed, except for me as I aced it as I was such a sports nut.

I remember him always taking great interest in what I did. I played golf, baseball, basketball, football, etc. He would always take time to mention how I did in a game and certain things he noticed I could improve upon or if I didn't understand something. He was the only teacher I had that actually told my dad to ease up on me as my dad was very demanding. And Mr. Campany was a former military drill seargent who had 1 son that went to West Point. So if he was thinking my dad was a little too demanding, then my dad thought he had a point.

He was also great at inspiring me to be interested in different things. When I started to play golf, he inspired me to keep being interested in the game whereas other teachers would sneer at the thought of it. I did a report on Harry Truman once and I thought it was interesting and he inspired me to read up on each President and then we would talk about the merits and weaknesses of each President. We started talking about Civil War generals and the Civil Rights movement which happened well before I was even born.

He also talked about staying away from smoking, drinking and drugs and how they can affect your ability to be the best you can be. That and he always talked about being mentally tough, whether it was sports or the world outside of sports. He used to call it 'having the gonads.'

Later on he became my JV basketball coach. He lived about a mile down the street from me, so after practice I would want to stick around work on shooting and dribbling left handed. He would close the gym and then drive me home and we would talk about everything under the sun. He didn't care if your viewpoint was different than his, he just wanted you to back up your thoughts with some sort of logic.

He was also one of those people that is what I call 'good at getting angry.' My dad is that way. You tick him off and you think hell, fire and brimstone is going to happen. Mr. Campany was that way as well. But he always prefaced it with 'I will never get mad at you if do something wrong the first time. That's a mistake and everybody makes a mistake. If you do it 2 times, I won't like it, but I'll keep my composure. If you do it 3 times, look out.'

And true to his word, that's how he was. I only saw him get livid at a student or a basketball player a few times and they broke those rules and truly deserved it. But, the reputation was out there that he was the last person you wanted to tick off and 99% of the time, that alone kept the kids in line. Well, that and they just really liked him.

YR

Wimbo

Reaction score
Mr. Moore - high school physics. He left UCLA (I think - in CA, anyway) in the 60's and hitchhiked to Florida because he thought he would like it there. He was a hippie, then. I can't remember the details about how he got into teaching, but I remember being amused by it. He was just cool... he taught wave theory by bringing in his guitar and playing for the class. I think I liked him best because he seemed to really care about his students doing well, and was never uptight about anything.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I had a History teacher in college that impressed me too. His name was Mr. Braden and there were no textbooks in his class. Which for History I found odd. His class was entirely about his lectures and if you paid attention and especially took notes of what he wrote on the blackboard you had what you needed to pass his course.

On the last day of class before the Final at the end of class he called on myself and 3 other students to remain after class had left. Once the rest of the students were gone he announced that we did not have to take the Final Exam. Because we had all got As on each of the previous exams he was convinced that we were A students, paying attention, and therefore doing what we were supposed to do which is learn. He asked us to never reveal that he did this to other students telling us they should have to work as hard as we did to earn their A. He informed us our grades were already registered as As and he wished us well in all of our future semesters of college.

Now that is a teacher.

dez_for_prez

Reaction score
Mr. Ryan, grade 9 social studies and science. He was always joking around with us. We had a meat head in our class that always tried to but his balls. One day Mr. Ryan stuffed a bunch of paper in his shirt for muscles and splashed water under his arms for sweat stains and did a go impression.
He used to drink a big bottle of water everyday. I manged to snake it off his desk and dump a bunch of salt into it. He saw me holding it not knowing that I put the salt in and took a big gulp in front of the class. He ended up spitting it everywhere. He also gave me the best advice. "never compare yourself to the worst, always the best." He was great at knowing what buttons to push with people to get them to work harder.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
I was more closely acquainted with principal Due to the large amount of time I spent in his office

EGTuna

Reaction score
Ms. Virginia Grohl who taught at Fairfax HS in Fairfax, VA during my time there (87-90). She taught 10th grade english, Public Speaking and AP English. I had her for all 3 as well as being her Teacher Aid for 1 period my Sr. year. She was THE COOLEST and best teacher. No one could help you dissect James Joyce and Leon Uris better.

Her son? Dave Grohl. THAT Dave Grohl. During spring break of 1991, I went to visit her, and she told me her son Dave had joined a new band called Nirvana and were probably going to be pretty big in the "college scene" and told me to look out for them.

jubal

Reaction score
Joe Rod;4523824 said:
I had quite a few of them, but my eleventh grade English teacher was my favorite. She probably boosted my SATs more than I will ever realize.

Mine too!!!
She made one statement that literally turned the light on for me in a class I had failed two semesters in tenth grade. I begged the counselors to give me another teacher the second time around,to no avail.:(
Kuddos and accolades to the ones that flip the switch and let the knowledge flow.:bow:

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
Dr. Long. Freshman year of college, English Composition. He made his class much more difficult than need be, but it really paid off in every class I took after. Plus he's the one who burned the motto in my head, "Challenge everything."

Reaction score
Ms. Alvarez 6th grade. She was young like 24 at the time. Hottest teach I ever had by far. Great body it was hard to focus in her class. She was a good teacher though. I used to purposely drop my pencil so she would bend down a pick it up.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Art teacher in High School. She had two big things going for her. :laugh2:

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Mr.Hernandez- 4th Grade

He was the best by far because he loved what he did and he cared about all of us students. Also, he LOVED playing football so much that at least three times a week we would have an elongated recess just to play football. He would be all time QB and we would get into intense games. His brother happend to teach 5th grade at the same school and we would compete every friday. The under dog 4th graders against the over hyped 5th graders, priceless.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4524576 said:
Ms. Alvarez 6th grade. She was young like 24 at the time. Hottest teach I ever had by far. Great body it was hard to focus in her class. She was a good teacher though. I used to purposely drop my pencil so she would bend down a pick it up.

I find it extremely offensive that you did not provide any photos with your post.