Your Favorite War Movies

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jobberone;4608268 said:
Left out four greats:

Tora, Tora, Tora, Paths of Glory, Sergeant York and Patton.

30 Seconds over Tokyo and Twelve O'clock High honorable mention.
I forgot all about that one.

Hey, how come nobody likes Pearl Harbor? :p:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Aikmaniac;4608527 said:
Saving Private Ryan.

Platoon.

Blackhawk Down.

We Were Soldiers.

Hostile, I know you've been advised before, but if you're a war movie fan, Saving Private Ryan gives the most realistic vantage point that cinema can in my opinion. I do remember, however, that many WW2 vets weren't able to make it through the first act either due to the memories it brought back. In fact, many friends and family members warned my dad (Vietnam vet) not to see it. He did watch it through. Even with as high as my respect was for him, I'm glad I saw this with him the first time.

I wish the snot-nosed brats that I work with on a daily basis were made to sit down and watch this film. I hope I have the chance to meet Spielberg one day to shake his hand.
Every Vet I know said the same thing.

Like I said, it was just too much for me. I can't imagine what it did to those guys.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Dodger;4608419 said:
I consider Lawrence of Arabia to be the best film ever made.

Never, ever, leaves my top 2 just a sensational movie.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
DFWJC;4608248 said:
The fun of this site......
:)

Gotta call it like I see it... I like lots of war movies, but the question was one, and that's the one that popped to mind... I enjoy it every time I see it...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;4608710 said:
Every Vet I know said the same thing.

Like I said, it was just too much for me. I can't imagine what it did to those guys.

It took me several tries before I got thru the first scene where they dropped the door of the amphibious carrier. Just couldn't watch it. I made myself keep at it until I got thru the beach scene at Normandy. I figured I owed it to the guys who landed on Normandy.