Your Favorite War Movies

blindzebra

Reaction score
Letters from Iwo Jima...much, MUCH better than Flags of Our Fathers.

Would love to merge the first half of Full Metal Jacket and the last half of Platoon.

Hamburger Hill.

Both HBO series Band Of Brothers and The Pacific.

Saving Private Ryan.

Afigueroa22

Reaction score
The Dirty Dozen

Saving Private Ryan

The Patriot

Pearl Harbor

Inglorious Basterds

Hotel Rwanda

DFWJC

Reaction score
casmith07;4607813 said:
Also, thank you all for not listing We Were Soldiers. That movie is horrific.

silverbear;4607889 said:
We Were Soldiers... my all-time favorite war movie, by a wide margin...

The fun of this site......
:)

Kingsmith88

Benched
Reaction score
The Patriot was a Revolutionary war movie. (The one with Mel Gibson right).

Loved the Movie

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
arglebargle;4607853 said:
Of ones not already covered:

Soldier of Orange - early Rutger Hauer, in Dutch w/subtitles iirc.

Enemy at the Gates - Ed Harris is great

Hell in the Pacific - two actor performance, Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune

Enemy at the Gates was terrific. Hell in the Pacific was great and is a classic.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Left out four greats:

Tora, Tora, Tora, Paths of Glory, Sergeant York and Patton.

30 Seconds over Tokyo and Twelve O'clock High honorable mention.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Cowboy_Shawn;4608035 said:
I'm glad to see that no one has mentioned that piece of hollywood junk known as "The Hurt Locker".

I have no idea how that movie won an Academy Award. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in the military would tell you that that movie wasn't realistic.

Whaaaaaaaaaaat????? You mean det cord can't pull a 120mm artillery shell out from under 6" of dirt??? That's just crazy talk.

Rogah

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that no one has mentioned that piece of hollywood junk known as "The Hurt Locker".

I have no idea how that movie won an Academy Award. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in the military would tell you that that movie wasn't realistic.
I noticed no one mentioned that too. Critics tried to call it "gritty and realistic" when all they do is show how clueless they are.

There was one scene where Jeremy Renner's character (forget his name) had a scene where he was disabling a bomb so, in typical macho Hollywood fashion, he takes off all his protective gear. My only thought was that if that ever really happened, that guy's commanding office would rip him a new *******. And you know why? Because if a ordinance disposal guy ever got killed while he wasn't wearing his protective gear, then that guy's C.O. would be the one getting ripped a new ******* by his superior.

Disobeying procedures - especially in a life and death situation - is not exactly something the military takes lightly.

Rogah

Reaction score
blindzebra;4608240 said:
Letters from Iwo Jima...much, MUCH better than Flags of Our Fathers.
I have that exact same opinion. Purely from a cinematic standpoint, Letters is far superior to Flags. Obviously, as an American, the emotions I feel watching each film is different, but Letters is the better piece.

Flags of our Fathers is simply ridiculous with the amount of flashbacks it has. It starts in the present day, then flashes back to the bond tour, then flashes back to the fighting on the island, and then flashes back to training for the fighitng on the island. Pretty much the entire movie hops between all 4 of those storylines. Letter from Iwo Jima is very linear. It starts in the present day but then it flahses back to the island preparing for war - and we don't return back to the present day so there's no "hopping" around. A couple individual characters have brief flashbacks, but nothing which significantly disturbs the linearity of the film.

Rogah

Reaction score
jobberone;4608268 said:
Left out four greats:

Tora, Tora, Tora, Paths of Glory, Sergeant York and Patton.

30 Seconds over Tokyo and Twelve O'clock High honorable mention.
12 o'clock High is a damn decent movie, but I don't consider it one of my favorites.

I am, however, ashamed that I forgot to include Tora! Tora! Tora! :(

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Exactly. That's why I quit watching after about 10 minutes.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score

I refuse to watch it lol.

Another good movie, Empire Of The Sun.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Platoon
3. Baby Blue Marine
4. Saving Private Ryan
5. Apocalypse Now

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
dreghorn2;4607858 said:
Lawrence of Arabia.

stinger26;4608159 said:
Gettysburg

These are two of my absolute favorites, and I consider Lawrence of Arabia to be the best film ever made.

Those that have been mentioned that I like:

The Bridge On The River Kwai
Saving Private Ryan
Patton
Stalag 17
Braveheart
Full Metal Jacket
Black Hawk Down

Others that I like that haven't been mentioned:

Midway
Schindler's List
Zulu
The Bridges At Toko-Ri
Gallipoli
Cross Of Iron
Three Kings

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Kingsmith88;4608251 said:
The Patriot was a Revolutionary war movie. (The one with Mel Gibson right).

Loved the Movie

Yes that's the one.

Rogah;4608355 said:
I noticed no one mentioned that too. Critics tried to call it "gritty and realistic" when all they do is show how clueless they are.

There was one scene where Jeremy Renner's character (forget his name) had a scene where he was disabling a bomb so, in typical macho Hollywood fashion, he takes off all his protective gear. My only thought was that if that ever really happened, that guy's commanding office would rip him a new *******. And you know why? Because if a ordinance disposal guy ever got killed while he wasn't wearing his protective gear, then that guy's C.O. would be the one getting ripped a new ******* by his superior.

Disobeying procedures - especially in a life and death situation - is not exactly something the military takes lightly.

I didn't list it because it's not one of my favorites of all time or anything but I absolutely enjoyed the movie.

To each their own but it's a movie. I don't exactly watch movies expecting them to make them completely realistic or 100% authentic.

I thought it was a really solid movie myself it just wasn't one of my all time favorites.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
The Patriot

Troy

Braveheart

The Thin Red Line

Patton

Tora, Tora, Tora

The Dirty Dozen

Platoon

I'll also mention Apocalypse Now as one of the most overrated movies ever. It's a novelty flick that managed to trick millions of people into equating bizarre with greatness.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Saving Private Ryan.

Platoon.

Blackhawk Down.

We Were Soldiers.

Hostile, I know you've been advised before, but if you're a war movie fan, Saving Private Ryan gives the most realistic vantage point that cinema can in my opinion. I do remember, however, that many WW2 vets weren't able to make it through the first act either due to the memories it brought back. In fact, many friends and family members warned my dad (Vietnam vet) not to see it. He did watch it through. Even with as high as my respect was for him, I'm glad I saw this with him the first time.

I wish the snot-nosed brats that I work with on a daily basis were made to sit down and watch this film. I hope I have the chance to meet Spielberg one day to shake his hand.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
1.Blackhawk Down
2.Saving Private Ryan
3.The Thin Red Line
4.We Were Soldiers
5.When Trumpets Fade

:cool: