Your Favorite War Movies

wittenacious

Reaction score
Hostile;4607876 said:
I have never seen Das Boot either. I should.
Subtitles, as you might have heard, but it adds to the realism and drama. Very good acting, IMO. You're probably very familiar with the story, Hos, but here's a good Movie Info overview from Rotten Tomatoes:
Das Boot is one of the most gripping and authentic war movies ever made. Based on an autobiographical novel by German World War II photographer Lothar-Guenther Buchheim, the film follows the lives of a fearless U-Boat captain (Jurgen Prochnow) and his inexperienced crew as they patrol the Atlantic and Mediterranean in search of Allied vessels, taking turns as hunter and prey. [...]

Originally edited by writer/director Wolfgang Petersen as both a two-and-a-half hour theatrical release and a six-hour German miniseries, Das Boot was re-released in a restored version in 1997 with nearly one hour of added footage which made it even more suspenseful than before.
~ Don Kaye, Rovi
Read more: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/das_boot/

Rogah

Reaction score
The Longest Day, The Great Escape, Das Boot, Braveheart, Master and Commander, Patton, Battle of Britain, The Guns of Navarone and A Bridge Too Far, which is a movie that has IMHO one of the best ensemble casts of all time: Gene Hackman, Sean Connery, Anthony Hopkins, Michael Caine, Robert Redford, James Caan, Laurence Oliver, Denholm Elliott, Eliot Gound and last but certainly not least, John Ratzenberger.

Rogah

Reaction score
wittenacious;4607901 said:
Subtitles, as you might have heard, but it adds to the realism and drama. Very good acting, IMO. You're probably very familiar with the story, Hos, but here's a good Movie Info overview from Rotten Tomatoes:
Das Boot is one of the most gripping and authentic war movies ever made. Based on an autobiographical novel by German World War II photographer Lothar-Guenther Buchheim, the film follows the lives of a fearless U-Boat captain (Jurgen Prochnow) and his inexperienced crew as they patrol the Atlantic and Mediterranean in search of Allied vessels, taking turns as hunter and prey. ...
Originally edited by writer/director Wolfgang Petersen as both a two-and-a-half hour theatrical release and a six-hour German miniseries, Das Boot was re-released in a restored version in 1997 with nearly one hour of added footage which made it even more suspenseful than before. ~ Don Kaye, Rovi
Read more: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/das_boot/
Das Boot is a brilliant movie and I agree, the acting is superb. From the subtle emotions the Chief displays when looking at pictures of his wife and home during dinner to the captain of the boat who must project an air of confidence all the way. And let me tell you, I don't think I have ever seen someone portray a totally bleep-faced out of his mind drunk guy as well as whoever it was that portrayed Thomsen (the captain of the other sub and the guy who gives the slightly-anti-Hitler speech at the beginning of the movie at that big party).

And yes, I never watch a movie that is dubbed. It's subtitles all the way. To anyone planning to watch it for the first time: Be prepared for a 4 hour marathon.

rynochop

Reaction score
Force 10 from Navarone
Battleground oldy but a goody

Most of my others have been mentioned

johnny utah

Born on the Fourth of July
Braveheart (Yes, it's a war movie)
The Thin Red Line
Platoon

johnny utah

arglebargle;4607853 said:
Of ones not already covered:

Soldier of Orange - early Rutger Hauer, in Dutch w/subtitles iirc.

Enemy at the Gates - Ed Harris is great

Hell in the Pacific - two actor performance, Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune

Enemy at the Gates is an awesome film.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Kellys Heroes
Great Escape
Dirty Dozen
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down

the list goes on....

Also, the documentary "Restrepo" is outstanding.

[youtube]LVmkZLqQEUc[/youtube]

This is a must watch. It's real, and current. You will be a better person after watching.

Duane

Reaction score
johnny utah;4607951 said:
The Thin Red Line
Platoon

Two of my favorites as well.

The Thin Red Line is one of those movies that isn't appreciated by many people but it's shot beautifully.

Trendnet

Reaction score
Fail-Safe - had me on the edge of my seat.

Battle of the Bulge.

When Trumpets Fade.

and Hamburger Hill.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
I'm glad to see that no one has mentioned that piece of hollywood junk known as "The Hurt Locker".

I have no idea how that movie won an Academy Award. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in the military would tell you that that movie wasn't realistic.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
RastaRocket;4607981 said:
Kellys Heroes
Great Escape
Dirty Dozen
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Black Hawk Down

the list goes on....

Also, the documentary "Restrepo" is outstanding.

[youtube]LVmkZLqQEUc[/youtube]

This is a must watch. It's real, and current. You will be a better person after watching.

Restrepo was a powerful documentary. It's as real as it gets. Good pick man!

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
1. Platoon

2. Full Metal Jacket

3. We were soldiers

4. Apocolypse Now

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Braveheart

It's my favorite movie ever and definately my favorite war movie, though this might not fall under war in the way you're thinking of it in this question.

anything John Wayne of course.

Saving Private Ryan

Platoon

Full Metal Jacket

We Were Soldiers

The Patriot