Your first car accident or biggest almost-car-accident

waldoputty

Reaction score
putty got his first fast car while living in san luis obispo.
when buying the car, the sales guy showed how fast the car can corner by going 65 on a highway entrance.
after getting used to the car for about 8 months, putty started doing the 65 trick on the same highway entrance.
after a few good times, hit some sand and the car spun 270 deg into a highway barrier on the left lane 3 lanes to the lane.
the car had $17k of damage and was fixed pretty well.
no major injury or even whiplash.

the biggest almost accident, driving on the left lane of a highway 880 in the east bay south of oakland.
the car in front of me veered to the right very sharply, revealing a car stopped on the left lane of the highway.
there was no time to slow down or brake, and fortunately there was no car to the right as i systematically shifted one lane to the right.

the slowest almost accident was when going from ardsley ny towards nyc.
it was icey and the car lost traction on an exit.
while the car was going really slow, it spun around 180.
there was the smallest of impact on the railing.
no damage or even a scratch on the paint job, but really slow-motion scary.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was 16.........

My dad bought me a '66 Mustang that needed some work. He restored it to mint condition and she was a beauty. Friends were jealous, I was living it up with a new license.

One early morning, I headed out to pick up the crew for school. We stopped at Shipley's for some do-nuts and went on our way. We were cruising down the main road and I glanced over to check out these girls walking up to school.

Well, as I turned back around I saw reality. I smack hit a schoolbus in the rear and went under it. The bus stopped at the RR tracks in a hurry, I think the driver reacted late. My car was totaled and dad was irate :lmao:

waldoputty

Reaction score
I was 16.........

My dad bought me a '66 Mustang that needed some work. He restored it to mint condition and she was a beauty. Friends were jealous, I was living it up with a new license.

One early morning, I headed out to pick up the crew for school. We stopped at Shipley's for some do-nuts and went on our way. We were cruising down the main road and I glanced over to check out these girls walking up to school.

Well, as I turned back around I saw reality. I smack hit a schoolbus in the rear and went under it. The bus stopped at the RR tracks in a hurry, I think the driver reacted late. My car was totaled and dad was irate :lmao:

oh man, were u dead
hope the view was worth it...
:lmao:

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
First car - 69 VW.
I timed a light to turn green and came into intersection.

Too bad some lazy woman in a big car decided to run the red.

Car popped onto front lawn of the house at the intersection.
I was able to fix the damage.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I was 16 in a 92' Accord. I rear ended a car that had another car cut it off, aka the swoop and squat. I didn't know what that was at the time, but my mom knew as soon as I told her the story. There were four older women in the car and all acted as if it was no big issue. Sure enough, a couple of days later my insurance company notifies us that all of them claimed physical injury and I was being sued, etc. :(

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Kawasaki GPZ750. I was still in HS, Jr.

It was a Saturday Morning, I was riding home from my Buddies house, we had hung out on Friday and went to a couple of parties. I was riding in the Center Lane, coming to an intersection, I had the Green light. Maybe 20 feet before I entered the intersection, a women in the turning lane, pulled right out in front of me. I had zero time to react, I hit the rear passenger quarter panel between the rear door and the rear tire. I went head first over her car and the bike came along with me. Luckily, I caught my foot on the handle bar and that got me to flipping, instead of just going head first like I was shot out of a cannon. I flipped through the intersection and landed near the far side stop lights. Because I was flipping, I was lucky enough to land in such a way as to hit feet first and slide onto my back from there on. I slide for a good ways. As I was sliding, I saw the bike land on my right side, it actually bounced right over me and landed on my left side, as I was sliding and then hit the medium and came to a rest on that other side.

I was so lucky that day. A split second sooner and I probably get hit by the car or hit it in such a way that I don't catch my foot and land head first. I'd be dead right now. The bike could have easily landed on me and killed me. Any number of little things happen a hair differently and ABQCowboy never lives to post on this board.

Women claimed she never even saw me. That's the real problem with riding. It's not the rider a lot of times. It's the fact that other drivers don't register when they see bikes on the road. You see it, but your brain doesn't recognize it. It's used to seeing cars so when they see a bike, your brain doesn't send the same signals all the time. It's called Blind Sight. Your eyes see it but your brain, for whatever reason, does not place the object in the right context. Because of this, you don't register it as something in your filed of vision.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1975 Chevy Nova. I had just turned 18 and was working two jobs. Plus, I was partying a bit too much at the time and was often wore out.

My day job started at 8 am. I was headed to it while driving into town where a big curve gradually turns right 90 degrees. Still do not remember to this day how I navigated the curve but I woke up about 30 yards behind a Lincoln Continental doing 55. Slamming the brakes lessen the impact but both cars received significant damage. Thankfully no one was seriously hurt.

It was a hard lesson to learn but that was the day I started respecting other people on the road and getting enough rest. My father was still carrying me on his policy so it was also the first day I got an in-depth, one-on-one loud lesson in automobile insurance. :(

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Last Saturday.

OwQ9l_s-200x150.gif

waldoputty

Reaction score
First car - 69 VW.
I timed a light to turn green and came into intersection.

Too bad some lazy woman in a big car decided to run the red.

Car popped onto front lawn of the house at the intersection.
I was able to fix the damage.

yea, i was at a left turn light.
when it turned green, i just pressed down on the gas pedal.
however peripheral vision detected something - it was a crazy guy with hair on fire making a left turn from the other road.
i jammed on the brakes and did not hit him.
the idiot burned rubber around that turn and surprised he did not rammed into a gas station on the corner...

waldoputty

Reaction score
I was 16 in a 92' Accord. I rear ended a car that had another car cut it off, aka the swoop and squat. I didn't know what that was at the time, but my mom knew as soon as I told her the story. There were four older women in the car and all acted as if it was no big issue. Sure enough, a couple of days later my insurance company notifies us that all of them claimed physical injury and I was being sued, etc. :(

they must all have had whiplash...

DBOY3141

Reaction score
was 17 in a 1979 Camaro. Jacked up with 70's on the back. Girlfriend (now wife) got in a fight, so I stormed off. Flying through the back country roads at midnight, took a corner too fast, hit the loose gravel, slid off the road. Rolled in and ended up on it's roof. Not wearing a seatbelt (it was 1987, so no law yet), the whole driver's side roof was smashed flat, I ended up on in the passenger side. Who knows what would have happened if I had a seatbelt on.

trunk was full of beer, which ended up spread all over the place. hotel california was still playing on the radio. I cleaned up all the beer, then walked to a farmers house to call home.

waldoputty

Reaction score
was 17 in a 1979 Camaro. Jacked up with 70's on the back. Girlfriend (now wife) got in a fight, so I stormed off. Flying through the back country roads at midnight, took a corner too fast, hit the loose gravel, slid off the road. Rolled in and ended up on it's roof. Not wearing a seatbelt (it was 1987, so no law yet), the whole driver's side roof was smashed flat, I ended up on in the passenger side. Who knows what would have happened if I had a seatbelt on.

trunk was full of beer, which ended up spread all over the place. hotel california was still playing on the radio. I cleaned up all the beer, then walked to a farmers house to call home.
wow...

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Last Saturday.

OwQ9l_s-200x150.gif

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. I actually owned one of those just a few years ago. Fantastic car. I actually want another one.

Back on topic, I......uh.........kind of don't want to say anything on here and jinx myself. lol I have never been in a car accident when I was behind the wheel. *KNOCKING ON WOOD! YOU SEE THIS UNIVERSE!*

Only super close call I had was back in 2012. I had a Dodge Neon SRT-4 (it was a performance variant of the Neon that Dodge's SRT group made for 3 years. Super fun car and it hurt a lot of feelings! :D) and I was driving to North Idaho in it. I had a bunch of stuff done to the car and it was pushing around 300whp, so she was quick. I was playing around doing some "canyon carving" when I hit a corner that kind of dog legged back on me sooner than I was anticipating. At the time I realized it I already had the turbo boost fully built and the car was just pulling hard around the corner. The car was FWD, so it had it's cornering limitations, and would tend to under-steer. Instead, the car over-steered and put me right into the corner so hard the rear end started to swing around behind me. As I tried to correct it, without panicking too much, the car wanted to swing the other way. So I fought the rear end swinging around behind me for what felt like an eternity before finally getting it under control. It was close. It would have either been off the road or into the side of a mountain had I lost control. So, needless to say the rest of my trip was nice and easy going. haha

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My first car accident was getting hit by a deer on a dark road one evening. You read that correctly. I got hit by a deer, not the other way around. I was driving around 40 mph on a back road and a deer ran through the woods and up the embankment to the road and hit my car right in front of the passenger side mirror. The impact was so hard that the deer slammed into the side of my car shattering all of the windows except mine and totaling my car.

The funny thing is because of the way the deer hit me, I never even saw the deer. One of the policeman there even laughed and said it was the first time he had ever heard of a car getting t-boned by a deer.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Being a truck driver, I have a lot of close calls, because of the amount of idiots on the road, but the one that comes to mind was my fault...or would've been, had I not reacted in time.

I was coming up over a hill, a little fast for conditions, and came upon a red light, at which there were four cars stopped in line. I eased on the brakes, but there was nothing, because it was glare ice.
I was about 40 feet from the back from the last car, going probably 45 mph in a 35 foot box truck, and there were oncoming cars in the other lane who had just turned onto the road from the left, so I cut the wheel to the right, up over the curb, and then counter steered left.
I squeezed between the four cars and a guard rail, through a few inches of snow, with about a foot of space on either side of my truck.
I didn't touch the brakes, and just rolled out the other side and back onto the road as if I was using it as a passing lane. lol

My helper didn't say a word for about 10 minutes. Said he would've puked if he'd tried to speak. :laugh:

waldoputty

Reaction score
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X. I actually owned one of those just a few years ago. Fantastic car. I actually want another one.

Back on topic, I......uh.........kind of don't want to say anything on here and jinx myself. lol I have never been in a car accident when I was behind the wheel. *KNOCKING ON WOOD! YOU SEE THIS UNIVERSE!*

Only super close call I had was back in 2012. I had a Dodge Neon SRT-4 (it was a performance variant of the Neon that Dodge's SRT group made for 3 years. Super fun car and it hurt a lot of feelings! :D) and I was driving to North Idaho in it. I had a bunch of stuff done to the car and it was pushing around 300whp, so she was quick. I was playing around doing some "canyon carving" when I hit a corner that kind of dog legged back on me sooner than I was anticipating. At the time I realized it I already had the turbo boost fully built and the car was just pulling hard around the corner. The car was FWD, so it had it's cornering limitations, and would tend to under-steer. Instead, the car over-steered and put me right into the corner so hard the rear end started to swing around behind me. As I tried to correct it, without panicking too much, the car wanted to swing the other way. So I fought the rear end swinging around behind me for what felt like an eternity before finally getting it under control. It was close. It would have either been off the road or into the side of a mountain had I lost control. So, needless to say the rest of my trip was nice and easy going. haha

yes knock on wood!

waldoputty

Reaction score
My first car accident was getting hit by a deer on a dark road one evening. You read that correctly. I got hit by a deer, not the other way around. I was driving around 40 mph on a back road and a deer ran through the woods and up the embankment to the road and hit my car right in front of the passenger side mirror. The impact was so hard that the deer slammed into the side of my car shattering all of the windows except mine and totaling my car.

The funny thing is because of the way the deer hit me, I never even saw the deer. One of the policeman there even laughed and said it was the first time he had ever heard of a car getting t-boned by a deer.

wow, i was driving in the western dakotas when a pheasant literally flew into the top portion of my windshield from the left. it left an enormous cloud of feathers and landed to the right. the impact was this huge thump but give credit to acura, the windshield survived but cannot say the same for the bird.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Being a truck driver, I have a lot of close calls, because of the amount of idiots on the road, but the one that comes to mind was my fault...or would've been, had I not reacted in time.

I was coming up over a hill, a little fast for conditions, and came upon a red light, at which there were four cars stopped in line. I eased on the brakes, but there was nothing, because it was glare ice.
I was about 40 feet from the back from the last car, going probably 45 mph in a 35 foot box truck, and there were oncoming cars in the other lane who had just turned onto the road from the left, so I cut the wheel to the right, up over the curb, and then counter steered left.
I squeezed between the four cars and a guard rail, through a few inches of snow, with about a foot of space on either side of my truck.
I didn't touch the brakes, and just rolled out the other side and back onto the road as if I was using it as a passing lane. lol

My helper didn't say a word for about 10 minutes. Said he would've puked if he'd tried to speak. :laugh:

wonder what the other drivers thought...