Your first car accident or biggest almost-car-accident

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Being a truck driver, I have a lot of close calls, because of the amount of idiots on the road, but the one that comes to mind was my fault...or would've been, had I not reacted in time.

I was coming up over a hill, a little fast for conditions, and came upon a red light, at which there were four cars stopped in line. I eased on the brakes, but there was nothing, because it was glare ice.
I was about 40 feet from the back from the last car, going probably 45 mph in a 35 foot box truck, and there were oncoming cars in the other lane who had just turned onto the road from the left, so I cut the wheel to the right, up over the curb, and then counter steered left.
I squeezed between the four cars and a guard rail, through a few inches of snow, with about a foot of space on either side of my truck.
I didn't touch the brakes, and just rolled out the other side and back onto the road as if I was using it as a passing lane. lol

My helper didn't say a word for about 10 minutes. Said he would've puked if he'd tried to speak. :laugh:

My Grandfather a few years back was taking a nap while the other driver took a shift while doing Sunday night football (The generators that power the broadcast are on the flatbed). He told me he woke up upside down but was ok.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

My Grandfather a few years back was taking a nap while the other driver took a shift while doing Sunday night football (The generators that power the broadcast are on the flatbed). He told me he woke up upside down but was ok.

Holy crap! I can't even tell what that is!! Glad he made it out unscathed!

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
Holy crap! I can't even tell what that is!! Glad he made it out unscathed!
Yeah no kidding at 70 years of age at that lol. He is still doing Sunday night football though. I keep begging him to let me drive to Dallas and volunteer with him to work the cables on the sidelines this year when he does a Cowboys game.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I totaled my 1973 International Scout the first day I had it. My parents took me to pick it up and when I left the car lot I went to get a haircut. That was my only trip in it. I left the haircut to go home and a guy ran a red light right in front of me. It wasn't my fault, but sucked all the same.

BillyBates

Reaction score
not my accident but notable, After a long day and what turned into a night of deer hunting / tracking a deer my friend had wounded. we finally made it back at his RENTAL car. he quickly gutted and threw the deer into the trunk onto a plastic trash bag.
we drove separately and I now was following behind my friends rental car. I watched as his car simply disappeared on a blind curve. I slowed to a crawl to see very dim lite tail light in a alpha field. a cop then drove by seen me looking intently into that field edge, he may have thought I was poaching .
needless to say he jammed on the brakes blue and reds on now. he backed up and said to me ''go no where ,do nothing'' !!. as he turned in behind my truck I was pointing out my window into the field hoping he would see the tail light. he did. once again walking up to me ''stay there don't get out''!
as he approached the car upside down in the field, he seen a shotgun laying in the field next to the car ,blood pouring out of the trunk. his eyes where the size of frisbees. OMG a murder seen, I cant imagine what that poor man thought and I'm sure he aged a few years. I tried to explain all he kept saying was ''say and do nothing'' after another cop showed up and a flatbed tow truck they slowly popped the trunk.
I sure they had on hell of a phew moment...my friend the dumb azz dropped a lite cigarette and dint want to get charged for burning the seat.

lukin2006

Reaction score
My first car accident was when I was 18-19 on the 401 near Toronto ... it was a wintry day with whiteout conditions, a lady in front of me spun out and her vehicle came to rest crossing two lanes, I was in the middle lane and clipped her front end (no fault, weather was the cause) ... however that accident could have ended much worse ... the lady driving decided to let her husband drive at that point, she was already in the passenger seat, her husband just stepped behind the vehicle to get in the divers seat when I collided with his front end... a moment earlier or later ant that accident is so much different.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I've been shopping for health insurance (prescription, dental) ... I am looking at 150/month but excludes my pre-existing conditions. So I guess this will be a lawyer discussion.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was 16.........

My dad bought me a '66 Mustang that needed some work. He restored it to mint condition and she was a beauty. Friends were jealous, I was living it up with a new license.

One early morning, I headed out to pick up the crew for school. We stopped at Shipley's for some do-nuts and went on our way. We were cruising down the main road and I glanced over to check out these girls walking up to school.

Well, as I turned back around I saw reality. I smack hit a schoolbus in the rear and went under it. The bus stopped at the RR tracks in a hurry, I think the driver reacted late. My car was totaled and dad was irate :lmao:
Oof, that sucks....and the irony of ending up under a school bus, when a bus is what you were trying to avoid, by driving yourself to school.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I was at a stop sign at a tee road & had the wheel slightly turned to the right as that was my intended direction ,popped the clutch & opened up the 4 barrel carb,,,,that Nova did about a 359° complete circle, jumped the curb& wiped out the stop sign I had been sitting ato_O

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
We had just left our wedding reception and were driving to the airport to start our honeymoon. Traffic was backed-up on the interstate highway, so I diverted to a local farm road.

I topped a small hill doing about 50 mph and found myself facing several head of cattle just wondering around on the road. I hit a calf head-on. I ended up with a dislocated shoulder and my wife with a mild concussion. We spent our honeymoon night in the the emergency room. After everything was said and done, we were pretty lucky.

I used to joke that my wife was never the same after the accident. We divorced a few years later... I don't think the accident had any thing to do with it :confused:

Hardline

Reaction score
I've never been in a major car accident other than small fender benders that no one got hurt in.

I been in two motorcycle accidents.
The first one I was on my Harley and the car in front of me slammed on her brakes to avoid going through a yellow light at an intersection. I had to hit my foot brake and hand brake at the same time. I started fish tailing, got thrown off my bike and ended up sliding through the intersection, got bad road rash and a dislocated pinky finger.
The second time I was doing 65mph on the highway on a custom built chopper. I hit some road debris and lost control. It was cold that day so fortunately I had my leather jacket and gloves on. I wasn't wearing a helmet and was lucky my head never made contact with the street.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was at a stop sign at a tee road & had the wheel slightly turned to the right as that was my intended direction ,popped the clutch & opened up the 4 barrel carb,,,,that Nova did about a 359° complete circle, jumped the curb& wiped out the stop sign I had been sitting ato_O
'71 with an 8 banger dropped into it?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I have a soft spot for those early 70's Novas. The slant 6 was unkillable, as hard as my brother tried!
:lmao:

I always liked that kinda concave shaped back window glass,,,they were some pretty light cars with that spot welded uni-body frame.

I got a ford 4x4 with that 300cid in-line 6 cylinder, I wish it wasn't fuel injected.