Your FIRST Rock Concert...

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
YoMick;2716408 said:
Iron Maiden / Accept opening.

1986 - Nassau Coliseum/NY

Would have been better with a different opening act. I was only there for Maiden.

i saw iron maiden in houston in 1984 at the coliseum..

iron maiden
accept
fastway.

fastway stole the show in my opinion..

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
poke;2716416 said:
despite my previous post of not remembering.....which is kinda true for a
"real" rock concert.
my first concert was Gary Lewis and the Playboys & Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs ( i am not making this stuff up youngsters)
the year was around 1966 or so at the Beaumont (TX) City Auditorium.
Gary Lewis is the son of the famous Jerry Lewis.
and yes i am getting old.

...I owned the 45 called "This Diamond Ring". I believe I still have it downstairs in the basement.

I also owned a LP called "Goofy Greats" which contained Sam the Sham's hit Wooly Bully.

:laugh1: Good times.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Rush - Signals tour - 1981, age 12

Still my favorite band of all-time

The gray concert-t with black 3/4-length baseball sleeves finally disintegrated in 1997

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
lane;2716933 said:
i saw iron maiden in houston in 1984 at the coliseum..

iron maiden
accept
fastway.

fastway stole the show in my opinion..

I saw that tour! Except it was Saxon instead of Accept when they were in Phoenix.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Faerluna;2716816 said:
Mr. Mister, The Bangles opened. 1986 in Lincoln, NE..can't remember where, but it wasn't Memorial Stadium.
You should ban yourself for admitting that.

jimmy40

Reaction score
jackrussell;2716395 said:
first concert- elvis presley- fall 1975
my dad saw Elvis at the opening of a feed store in Carthage Texas back in the '50s.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
trickblue;2716847 said:
First real concert was Andre' Crouch in Texas Stadium '74...

"I've got confidence ...."

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2717320 said:

The gray concert-t with black 3/4-length baseball sleeves finally disintegrated in 1997

Rush is great. Liked their cameo in the new movie, "I Love You, Man."

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
lewpac;2716693 said:
Van Halen WITH David Lee Roth at the Spectrum in Philly in the mid-70's. It was their first tour............................

Best Concert Ever: J. Geil Band with George Thourogood and the Delaware Destroyers opening............................

Van Halen was my second concert.

The "1980 Invasion" in Lubbock, Texas.

A farmer threw what we call a "seed cap" up on the stage. It's one of those mesh farm caps that advertise somebody's seed company or farm implements. Roth wore it for a few songs. Funny sight.

My friends who are 6-6, 6-5, 6-4, were standing at the front and walked out of that concert with several of Eddie's picks.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2717320 said:

Rush wasn't my first concert, but I've seen them 18 times since 1978. Great live performances.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Sitting Bull;2717323 said:
I saw that tour! Except it was Saxon instead of Accept when they were in Phoenix.

it was indeed saxon....my bad.

great concert..

Scranton Tiger

Reaction score
December 1982. Toys for Tots concert in Greenville , South Carolina. 38 Special were the headliners. Eddie Money was the opening act. I also had one of the most traumatic experiences of my young life there. While Eddie Money was on stage singing "Shakin", there were two women in front of me and my buddies dancing like there was no tommorrow. Great you say? NO SIR, NOT BY A LONG SHOT. They were both the size of Flozell Adamas I **** you not. In the words of Col. Kurts from Apocalypse Now, "The horror, the horror".

RESIN8

Reaction score
tomson75;2715344 said:
It was either Bad Brains or Fugazi in the old 9:30 club in DC.....circa 1992. I was like 15.

Nicccceee. Love both bands.

My first was in Redondo Beach when I saw Circle Jerks and Black Flag in 84 during a skate session that included Christian Hosoi, Steve Caballero and a young Tony Hawk.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Chief;2717452 said:
Van Halen was my second concert.

The "1980 Invasion" in Lubbock, Texas.

A farmer threw what we call a "seed cap" up on the stage. It's one of those mesh farm caps that advertise somebody's seed company or farm implements. Roth wore it for a few songs. Funny sight.

My friends who are 6-6, 6-5, 6-4, were standing at the front and walked out of that concert with several of Eddie's picks.

That must have been great. I always wanted to see the original Van Halen with DLR as the Front man, but it was never meant to be, I guess.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Joe Rod;2718520 said:
That must have been great. I always wanted to see the original Van Halen with DLR as the Front man, but it was never meant to be, I guess.
I saw the original VH with DLR when they opened up for Black Sabbath at Reunion in Dallas. In spite of the fact that DLR was really drunk, they put on a better show than Sabbath.

Back in 1978 I went to visit a friend of mine and he says: "hey you gotta check this out." He went into his brothers room and came back with this vinyl of VH's debut LP, puts it on the turn table and says: "man, doesn't this sound like they could be the biggest band of the 1980's?"

I thought yeah maybe.

Turns out he was dead on.

As history revealed, VH was one of the top ten biggest acts of the 80's.

Here's one of my faves from VH's debut LP... Jamie's Cryin'

[youtube]ySoUc7-Tv80&feature=related[/youtube]

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;2718616 said:
Merriweather Post Pavilion.

That incidentally is the name of the CD that will be on every reviewer's top 10 list for 2009.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
Never been to a rock concert.

But I have been to a Clay Aiken Concert. Does that count?

That was a joke.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
KISS
Dallas Texas

went with my older brother in 1982

First concert I went to without a "Chaperone" was Whitesnake (my most favorite rock band of all time) in 1987 in Dallas

The 2 best were "Heart" in 1988, and in 1990 I saw ACDC in Sydney (that concert was free!)