Your Honest Opinion of Jason Campbell

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
I've been a big supporter of Jason Campbell, and my biggest selling point has been that's he's improved statistically every year, but even I admitted this past offseason that Jason needed to show us something more this year if he wanted to return as a starter (I do think he will be back because he's a restricted FA). After the first three games, I was resigned to the fact that he would never turn the corner. After nine games his stats look like this:

http://img338.*************/img338/7784/stats.tif

So the problem I'm having is that he has improved his YPA by a full yard to a point where it (7.4) is now respectable. His turnovers have increased as well though (3/10 fumbles were lost this year). Still, statistically speaking, Campbell is a top 15 QB in the league, and it's reasonable to expect him to continue to get better, so now I'm torn. His biggest weakness is accuracy on long throws. I'm not sure an offense can ever be good if the defense isn't scared of the deep ball. So, I'm looking for your opinions.

Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter
Now that we got that out of the way, other opinions would be appreciated.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
One followup post. His numbers have been getting better even though our running game and offensive line have been getting worse.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I think he could be a good qb with the right coaching. He has a good arm and is mobile.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think he is a decent QB, but not a dynamic QB. The skins aren't good enough to get by with just a guy who is decent and won't lose the game for them. They need a dynamic QB to create plays and win games. If they had a much better supporting cast then they could probably win games with what Campbell brings to the table, but that is not the case. I don't really see that changing in the near future. Ladell Betts, Santana Moss, Mike Sellers and Antwaan Randle El are all over 30 years old. Clinton Portis may as well be even though he is only 28. It is up to the young guys Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Malcom Kelly to step up their games. I am not sure if they can. The only guy they have who is both young and very productive is Chris Cooley(27) and right now he is hurt.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3084692 said:
I think he could be a good qb with the right coaching. He has a good arm and is mobile.

He is mobile in that he often is able to run for a first down. However, he moves poorly in the pocket to evade the rush.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
He's fantastic. Keep him no matter how much he costs.

Actually, he'll play even better if he's paid a lot of extra money, so be extra generous ... I'm talking Haynesworth generous ... when extending that contract.

Championship.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm sympathetic towards Campbell, and he seems like a genuinely good guy. He's always had problems with the deep ball, and isn't someone who's able to beat you throwing on the run. WAS ruined him with all the chaos going on over there between new HCs, new offensive systems, inattention to your OL problems, and poor drafting of skill position offensive players. With a new coach and a new system likely coming in the offseason, the guy hardly has a chance.

It's impressive that he's improved his passing numbers under the circumstances. But a nearly 1:1 TD to TO ratio doesn't get it done, obviously.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Jason Campbell is a lot like eating steamed cabbage. Just enough taste to keep eating it, but there's always that underlying smell that keeps you from wanting to see it on your plate too often.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
He's not good, he's not bad. His situation in Washington didn't help his development any, but he's not terrible. He's not going to win any championships either.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3084707 said:
He is mobile in that he often is able to run for a first down. However, he moves poorly in the pocket to evade the rush.

What pocket?

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
casmith07;3084852 said:
What pocket?

Haha, you're right. Still, I look at a guy like Roethlisberger and how he can always slide away from the pressure while keeping his eyes down the field, and I get jealous.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Do yoursel a favor................Lay off the stats. Worthless, IMO.

He doesn't 'look' any more comfortable out there than he did year 1. JMO, of course.

dcdallaschick

Reaction score
I think he's woefully misused in a west coast offense, and because of that, I don't know how good a quarterback he could be in the right situation. Of course, we all said that for a while about Quincy, too.

The thing that gives me the most pause about him as a franchise QB is more of a personality/carriage thing. There's a difference between being unflappable and having no affect at all.

To paraphrase Taub's description of Foreman on House:
Here's Campbell on his worst day: :-|
And here's Campbell on his best day: :-|

My favorite thing about watching Campbell is wondering whether he's even going to bother to try and slide once he takes off running. Worst. Slide. Ever.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Well, I think he was placed in a no win situation. I have been arguing with you Skins fans for years about how your team is assembled and finally some of you are starting to get it.

Throwing away draft picks and making questionable personnel decisions is a crippling factor for a team. Let me give you a few examples.

1. Stephen Davis. He was a weapon. I can't even tell you how many Skins fans told me that Trung Canidate was a better option because of Spurrier's system. I tried to tell them that I actually knew Trung from here at the University of Arizona and some of your best and brightest fans told me I was wrong. Keeping Davis would have been a mistake.

2. When it became obvious that I was correct and getting rid of Stephen Davis was a mistake the Commanders over reacted to the need to get a RB. While I do think Clinton Portis was pretty good, the price you paid was ignorant. Holy cow, you do not get rid of the best CB in the game and throw in a Draft pick for a RB.

3. Throwing away draft picks for players is way too risky. I could not believe the price you guys paid for TJ Duckett.

When you do things liek this that affect your team at multiple positions it will only boomerang back on a QB. Especially if he is thrown to the wolves too soon. You overpaid for him, tossed him in as a starter before he was ready, and are surprised that his results are not Pro Bowl caliber as you have upheaval around him on a yearly basis.

I liked Campbell coming out of college, but I honestly thought he needed to be a backup QB who you see if he can develop into a starter. I didn't see him as a 1st round pick by any wild stretch of the imagination. he's being treated like a franchise QB because of his Draft status. I think that is a mistake.

I tip my hat to him for how handles insults from the team. They are apparently doing everything in their power to get rid of him. If I had money to bet, I'd say you will reach for a QB again and use him wrong. It's a pattern.

You have no depth because of the Free Agent spending sprees your owner goes on and when injuries hit you, there's little to do except ride them out and pray for mediocrity.

In truth, I don't see your team coming out of the cellar until there is a complete philosophy change. It's not Campbell's fault he was drafted where he was or thrown in too soon. But he's the guy who will get scapegoated for the poor decisions all around him.

Good kid who is getting ruined by a bad system, and I do not mean the WCO. He fits that quite well. The problem is there is no stability in DC. Drama rules the day every day. The QB feels the brunt of that. Fans, media, and management are all on his back. That's a no win. Eli Manning would not have developed into the QB he is now, in Washington.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
Hostile;3084979 said:
Well, I think he was placed in a no win situation. I have been arguing with you Skins fans for years about how your team is assembled and finally some of you are starting to get it.

Throwing away draft picks and making questionable personnel decisions is a crippling factor for a team. Let me give you a few examples.

1. Stephen Davis. He was a weapon. I can't even tell you how many Skins fans told me that Trung Canidate was a better option because of Spurrier's system. I tried to tell them that I actually knew Trung from here at the University of Arizona and some of your best and brightest fans told me I was wrong. Keeping Davis would have been a mistake.

2. When it became obvious that I was correct and getting rid of Stephen Davis was a mistake the Commanders over reacted to the need to get a RB. While I do think Clinton Portis was pretty good, the price you paid was ignorant. Holy cow, you do not get rid of the best CB in the game and throw in a Draft pick for a RB.

3. Throwing away draft picks for players is way too risky. I could not believe the price you guys paid for TJ Duckett.

When you do things liek this that affect your team at multiple positions it will only boomerang back on a QB. Especially if he is thrown to the wolves too soon. You overpaid for him, tossed him in as a starter before he was ready, and are surprised that his results are not Pro Bowl caliber as you have upheaval around him on a yearly basis.

I liked Campbell coming out of college, but I honestly thought he needed to be a backup QB who you see if he can develop into a starter. I didn't see him as a 1st round pick by any wild stretch of the imagination. he's being treated like a franchise QB because of his Draft status. I think that is a mistake.

I tip my hat to him for how handles insults from the team. They are apparently doing everything in their power to get rid of him. If I had money to bet, I'd say you will reach for a QB again and use him wrong. It's a pattern.

You have no depth because of the Free Agent spending sprees your owner goes on and when injuries hit you, there's little to do except ride them out and pray for mediocrity.

In truth, I don't see your team coming out of the cellar until there is a complete philosophy change. It's not Campbell's fault he was drafted where he was or thrown in too soon. But he's the guy who will get scapegoated for the poor decisions all around him.

Good kid who is getting ruined by a bad system, and I do not mean the WCO. He fits that quite well. The problem is there is no stability in DC. Drama rules the day every day. The QB feels the brunt of that. Fans, media, and management are all on his back. That's a no win. Eli Manning would not have developed into the QB he is now, in Washington.

I agree with most of what you say. I've come to the sad realization that we will never win with Snyder as our owner. I don't think that trading away draft picks for players is always bad, but we've done a terrible job of it. I agree that we should have gotten a second round pick in the Portis trade, not the other way around. Jason Taylor, TJ Ducket, the wide receiver from SF who may not be named. (Still, the Cowboys have given up three number ones and a third and a sixth for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams which, yes, does make me feel better)

I think there's actually a good chance that Campbell will be here next year, unless we give him a ridiculously low tender offer. As I understand it, we can offer him $2 million and if another team signs him, we'd get a first rounder. Obviously no team would do that, but I think Campbell would be a good deal for $2 million even just as a backup or placeholder while a rookie gets groomed.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Hostile;3084979 said:

I believe the term is being "beat into a state of reasonableness"

I agree with a lot of this...

Hostile;3084979 said:
1. Stephen Davis/Candidate

I thought Davis was done when the Skins let him go. I was somewhat right: he had one great year with Car and then fell apart. Candidate was a waste. Spurrier was a ******.

Hostile;3084979 said:
While I do think Clinton Portis was pretty good, the price you paid was ignorant. Holy cow, you do not get rid of the best CB in the game and throw in a Draft pick for a RB.

Here is the thing: Bailey was gone, period. He wasn't going to resign. So, I agree with the extra pick being thrown in as wasteful -- however, it is a lot less wasteful then losing Bailey for nothing. And the Skins rode Portis to a pair of WC spots, and a playoff win.

Hostile;3084979 said:

Don't forget Lloyd...(facepalm)

Hostile;3084979 said:
When you do things liek this that affect your team at multiple positions it will only boomerang back on a QB... It's a pattern. You have no depth because of the Free Agent spending sprees your owner goes on and when injuries hit you, there's little to do except ride them out and pray for mediocrity.

While he has his faults, it's not all Campbell's fault...

The biggest issue is Cerrato refusing to spend a #1 or a #2 on a lineman. INstead they trade for Taylor. While I initially liked the idea mostly b/c we lost 2 DE's in one day -- it cost us the chance at Max Unger: currently starting for the Seahawks or Phil Loadholt, currently starting for the Vikings. Both huge holes right now.

The only lineman they've drafted since Samules worth a crap is Dockery. And then they let him walk (for an obscene amount of money) and attempted to replace him with Todd Wade. That is the pattern that is killing us: attempting to patch together an offensive line with scrubs: Wade, M. Williams, Rinehart, Heyer, the list goes on and on. None of the these guys would be 3rd stringers on most teams.

And the constant is the idiot Vinny "Waylon" Cerrato (and of course C. Montgomery Snyder has his hands in it too!) This team needs a fundamental change. It MUST start with canning Cerrato. He is an idiot of the highest order. There isn't another team in the NFL (maybe not even the UFL) that would hire that bug-eyed moron.

Under Cerrato -- the Skins will never be more then a middle-of-the-pack, back-into-a-WC team.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Hostile;3084979 said:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel on the situation.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
Sonny#9;3085068 said:
Here is the thing: Bailey was gone, period. He wasn't going to resign. So, I agree with the extra pick being thrown in as wasteful -- however, it is a lot less wasteful then losing Bailey for nothing. And the Skins rode Portis to a pair of WC spots, and a playoff win.
Then we should have shopped him around some more. I can't believe that that was the best deal out there. Also, Portis only had two more years on his contract as well I believe. So by the same logic we could have waited for Portis and gotten him for nothing.

Sonny#9;3085068 said:
The biggest issue is Cerrato refusing to spend a #1 or a #2 on a lineman. INstead they trade for Taylor. While I initially liked the idea mostly b/c we lost 2 DE's in one day -- it cost us the chance at Max Unger: currently starting for the Seahawks or Phil Loadholt, currently starting for the Vikings. Both huge holes right now.

The only lineman they've drafted since Samules worth a crap is Dockery. And then they let him walk (for an obscene amount of money) and attempted to replace him with Todd Wade. That is the pattern that is killing us: attempting to patch together an offensive line with scrubs: Wade, M. Williams, Rinehart, Heyer, the list goes on and on. None of the these guys would be 3rd stringers on most teams.
Yeah, I'm a fan of BPA, so while I wanted a lineman like Oher last year, I had no problems with the Orakpo pick. Hopefully if there is a stud lineman available this year, we won't decide to roll the dice with a QB. Also, I never like the Taylor trade because we weren't a Superbowl team. We panicked to try to fill the whole at DE instead of looking towards the future.

Sonny#9;3085068 said:
And the constant is the idiot Vinny "Waylon" Cerrato (and of course C. Montgomery Snyder has his hands in it too!) This team needs a fundamental change. It MUST start with canning Cerrato. He is an idiot of the highest order. There isn't another team in the NFL (maybe not even the UFL) that would hire that bug-eyed moron.

Under Cerrato -- the Skins will never be more then a middle-of-the-pack, back-into-a-WC team.
Frankly, I have a hard time blaming Cerrato because we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. It seems like Snyder chooses the first round pick and one big FA every year, and Cerrato does the rest. If I bought the team today, I'd make Cerrato the GM. Give him the rope, and if he hangs himself, then find someone else. But I suspect that Cerrato has talked Snyder out of a lot of bad ideas.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Idgit;3084754 said:
WAS ruined him with all the chaos going on over there between new HCs, new offensive systems, inattention to your OL problems, and poor drafting of skill position offensive players. With a new coach and a new system likely coming in the offseason, the guy hardly has a chance.

This is how I feel. I always kind of liked him, honestly.

Now maybe he's never going to be a Romo type who makes tons of plays that aren't there, but you can still win with QBs that are just solid, accurate passers. I bet Jason would win plenty playing for a team like Tennessee.

Okay, last year's version of Tennessee.