Your Honest Opinion of Jason Campbell

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3085108 said:
This is how I feel. I always kind of liked him, honestly.

Now maybe he's never going to be a Romo type who makes tons of plays that aren't there, but you can still win with QBs that are just solid, accurate passers. I bet Jason would win plenty playing for a team like Tennessee.

Okay, last year's version of Tennessee.

Jason Campbell would win a TON of games playing in San Francisco or Tennessee. Even Houston.

Dough Boy

Seldom Seen
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3084680 said:
I've been a big supporter of Jason Campbell, and my biggest selling point has been that's he's improved statistically every year, but even I admitted this past offseason that Jason needed to show us something more this year if he wanted to return as a starter (I do think he will be back because he's a restricted FA). After the first three games, I was resigned to the fact that he would never turn the corner. After nine games his stats look like this:

http://img338.*************/img338/7784/stats.tif

So the problem I'm having is that he has improved his YPA by a full yard to a point where it (7.4) is now respectable. His turnovers have increased as well though (3/10 fumbles were lost this year). Still, statistically speaking, Campbell is a top 15 QB in the league, and it's reasonable to expect him to continue to get better, so now I'm torn. His biggest weakness is accuracy on long throws. I'm not sure an offense can ever be good if the defense isn't scared of the deep ball. So, I'm looking for your opinions.

Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter
Now that we got that out of the way, other opinions would be appreciated.

I think he can be a middle of the pack guy. Its hard to judge him right now. Your o-line is horrible. Your starting WR are getting old and your young wr can not make it onto the field. I think Jason is starting to look at the rush, which makes sense b/c he is hit quite frequently. I also things he does a bad job at scanning the field and getting to the 2nd and 3rd option on a route. He has a big arm, but has poor touch on the deep ball. He throws underneath passes OK, but rarely does he put the ball right on a wr so he can make YAC.

He has some skills to work with, but I have not seen him take that huge leap. I'm not certain he is a guy that can win a game for you. He is not good in the 'phone booth' but can make a play outside the pocket.

He is in a tough situation.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Dough Boy;3085359 said:
I think he can be a middle of the pack guy. Its hard to judge him right now. Your o-line is horrible. Your starting WR are getting old and your young wr can not make it onto the field. I think Jason is starting to look at the rush, which makes sense b/c he is hit quite frequently. I also things he does a bad job at scanning the field and getting to the 2nd and 3rd option on a route. He has a big arm, but has poor touch on the deep ball. He throws underneath passes OK, but rarely does he put the ball right on a wr so he can make YAC.

He has some skills to work with, but I have not seen him take that huge leap. I'm not certain he is a guy that can win a game for you. He is not good in the 'phone booth' but can make a play outside the pocket.

He is in a tough situation.

What makes it so frustrating is that we needed to use this season to evaluate him. Now we'll probably draft someone, put him behind a terrible O-line, and potentially waste all the time we've put into Campbell. If he stinks, fine get rid or him, but it's hard to evaluate him when he has no support.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I honestly don't think he's smart enough to play qb in this league. he forgets to step up in the pocket half the time.

CowboyWay

If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State
Reaction score
Dough Boy;3085359 said:
He has a big arm, but has poor touch on the deep ball. He throws underneath passes OK, but rarely does he put the ball right on a wr so he can make YAC.

I agree with this. JC just simply can't put a pass in someones gut while they are in stride. Thats what big offenses and big qb's do.

Watch carefully when JC completes a pass. 9 out of 10 times the WR is stopped, back to the secondary, waiting on the pass. You simply will never be a high octane offense like that.

I truly believe he is a career back up. I just don't see one thing he does thats special.

Aikbach

Reaction score
I think he's like a combination of Quincy Carter and Gus Ferotte, sorry but that is as generous as I can be.

He's better than Patrick Ramsey and Heath Shuler, but worse than Stan Humphries and Mark Rypien.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
keep him, as in keep him on that team. Sign him oodles of money, remember we have Romo, so do the same for Campbell and show us Cowboy fans whats what.

Sign him big big money and show up Jerry and his brand new stadium, look at that QB, now thats worth keeping.

He does get better and better and hes not going to peak like Romo, so sign him, sign him long term.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
The game moves too fast for Campbell and he doesn't have the anticipation or the pocket presence to be a good starting QB in this league.

The problem with your numbers is that they don't show the amount of fumbles he has had. He doesn't do well against the blitz and the WCO just helps a QB's QB rating because the pass routes are usually much shorter than say a Joe Gibbs position.

He'll tempt fans and some coaches because he has all of the physical tools...big arm strength, tall and a big guy, solid mobility, good athlete, but if you can't anticipate and don't have pocket presence you can't make it as a good QB in this league. Those are the biggest factors to me. We've seen good QB that were inaccurate, not the greatest decision makers or had a weak arm. But pocket presence and anticipation are vital.

Look at David Carr. CANNON for an arm. LIGHTNING quick release. PINPOINT ACCURACY, mobile. Everything you could want. Zero pocket presence and anticipation. If he didn't have those each of those outstanding physical skills, he wouldn't be in the league.

I used to think that once you lost your anticipation, you couldn't regain that. Romo appears to be proving me wrong and Kurt Warner did as well. But now I believe that if you never had anticipation, you really won't just gain it all of the sudden.

The thing I had to learn with Quincy and even Hutchinson is that often times there are guys that just never get it, regardless of the quality of their surrounding personnel.

YAKUZA

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
Yakuza Rich;3085764 said:
The game moves too fast for Campbell and he doesn't have the anticipation or the pocket presence to be a good starting QB in this league.

The problem with your numbers is that they don't show the amount of fumbles he has had. He doesn't do well against the blitz and the WCO just helps a QB's QB rating because the pass routes are usually much shorter than say a Joe Gibbs position.

He'll tempt fans and some coaches because he has all of the physical tools...big arm strength, tall and a big guy, solid mobility, good athlete, but if you can't anticipate and don't have pocket presence you can't make it as a good QB in this league. Those are the biggest factors to me. We've seen good QB that were inaccurate, not the greatest decision makers or had a weak arm. But pocket presence and anticipation are vital.

Look at David Carr. CANNON for an arm. LIGHTNING quick release. PINPOINT ACCURACY, mobile. Everything you could want. Zero pocket presence and anticipation. If he didn't have those each of those outstanding physical skills, he wouldn't be in the league.

I used to think that once you lost your anticipation, you couldn't regain that. Romo appears to be proving me wrong and Kurt Warner did as well. But now I believe that if you never had anticipation, you really won't just gain it all of the sudden.

The thing I had to learn with Quincy and even Hutchinson is that often times there are guys that just never get it, regardless of the quality of their surrounding personnel.
I actually did include fumbles because Campbell has had a lot, and I didn't include QB rating because I agree it's a silly statistic. Looking deeper into Campbell's stats, they are very good when the Commanders are losing by more than 8 points, and bad in any other situation. So I think his stats have benefited from defenses playing loose. Unless he does something special in the next seven games, I think it's time to look for a new starter (but keep Campbell for a year as backup/placeholder because as a restricted FA he can be had for cheap).

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3085099 said:
Then we should have shopped him around some more. I can't believe that that was the best deal out there. Also, Portis only had two more years on his contract as well I believe. So by the same logic we could have waited for Portis and gotten him for nothing.

Yeah, but as a result from trading Bailey, they also signed Springs and our pass defense excelled under Williams so it wasn't a total loss. The 2nd rnd pick was unnecessary.

Yeah, I'm a fan of BPA, so while I wanted a lineman like Oher last year, I had no problems with the Orakpo pick. Hopefully if there is a stud lineman available this year, we won't decide to roll the dice with a QB. Also, I never like the Taylor trade because we weren't a Superbowl team. We panicked to try to fill the whole at DE instead of looking towards the future.

Oher or Orakpo is Win-Win. Okapo is a monster. Doug Free gets to find that out this weekend ;)

But for 9 years, the O-line has been neglected in the draft...that's unacceptable.

Frankly, I have a hard time blaming Cerrato because we have no idea what goes on behind the scenes. It seems like Snyder chooses the first round pick and one big FA every year, and Cerrato does the rest. If I bought the team today, I'd make Cerrato the GM. Give him the rope, and if he hangs himself, then find someone else. But I suspect that Cerrato has talked Snyder out of a lot of bad ideas.

He's hung himself many times this year. He claimed that he gave Zorn a playoff roster. He claimed Samules' spinal stenosis was a "mental thing." Cerrato is neck deep in this debacle. And since we can only get rid one of them...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3085043 said:
I agree with most of what you say. I've come to the sad realization that we will never win with Snyder as our owner. I don't think that trading away draft picks for players is always bad, but we've done a terrible job of it. I agree that we should have gotten a second round pick in the Portis trade, not the other way around. Jason Taylor, TJ Ducket, the wide receiver from SF who may not be named. (Still, the Cowboys have given up three number ones and a third and a sixth for Joey Galloway and Roy Williams which, yes, does make me feel better)

I think there's actually a good chance that Campbell will be here next year, unless we give him a ridiculously low tender offer. As I understand it, we can offer him $2 million and if another team signs him, we'd get a first rounder. Obviously no team would do that, but I think Campbell would be a good deal for $2 million even just as a backup or placeholder while a rookie gets groomed.
You know, I just don't think who an owner is has anything to do with whether you can win or not. He will need to adjust the way the team operates. Of that, there is no doubt. I am less a fan of Free Agency than ever from watching the Commanders. I don't mind picking up an occasional player, but I want to avoid picking up star players for the most part. I think they feel more important than the team.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I would have went with Oher, personally, over Orakpo but that's just me I guess. Your defense was already pretty good, and you got Albert and all that. I think I'd have given that O-Line some help long before I drafted a DE in the hopes of playing him at OLB in a 4-3.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I'd actually take Orakpo over Oher, but it's really splitting hairs and depends what defensive scheme the Commanders go with in the future.

If they stay in a 4-3, I think it's very difficult to find a 4-3 quality pass rusher, so that's why I would take Orakpo. 3-4 is a little different.

Of course, I didn't foresee Samuels likely retiring so you could think that they could have gotten another year from Samuels and draft a LT and give him a year to learn.

YAKUZA

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
Jason Cambell is a below average QB easily. He looks uncomfortable, he often dumps the ball off, he's inaccurate, and he's not a good leader.

As a Cowboys fan, I hope he stays with the Commanders for a long time.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;3086186 said:
I would have went with Oher, personally, over Orakpo but that's just me I guess. Your defense was already pretty good, and you got Albert and all that. I think I'd have given that O-Line some help long before I drafted a DE in the hopes of playing him at OLB in a 4-3.

It's either-or right now. Both players are having great rookie seasons. And in the off-season, the pass rush was a major concern. I would say with Orakpo and Haynesworth and Carter -- that problem is pretty much fixed. I would hope they would move Orakpo to DE and let him go.

I would be inclined to agree with you about Oher, b/c our line is complete ****. It's complete **** b/c of years of neglect, dumb trades, poor drafting outside the 1st round, and overall mismanagement. Really, I would prefer they address the line with a competent GM, and not Cerrato.

Skinsmaniac

Reaction score
Sonny#9;3086332 said:
It's either-or right now. Both players are having great rookie seasons. And in the off-season, the pass rush was a major concern. I would say with Orakpo and Haynesworth and Carter -- that problem is pretty much fixed. I would hope they would move Orakpo to DE and let him go.

I would be inclined to agree with you about Oher, b/c our line is complete ****. It's complete **** b/c of years of neglect, dumb trades, poor drafting outside the 1st round, and overall mismanagement. Really, I would prefer they address the line with a competent GM, and not Cerrato.
One issue I have is that they used a 3rd round pick for Jarmon to further bolster the defensive line. Therefore we're probably only going to be able to choose one player for the offensive line in the first three rounds. This is going to be a multi-year rebuilding effort for the O-Line, and I wish it had begun sooner.