Your Honest Opinion of Jason Campbell

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3086432 said:
One issue I have is that they used a 3rd round pick for Jarmon to further bolster the defensive line. Therefore we're probably only going to be able to choose one player for the offensive line in the first three rounds. This is going to be a multi-year rebuilding effort for the O-Line, and I wish it had begun sooner.

Yeah there's that too -- but I do love Orakpo :)

If I could have my druthers: Okung in the 1st, Asamoah or Iupati in the 2nd. That's a big step in the right direction!

As for QB...I think the line needs to be fixed 1st...and as much as I like watching Claussen play at ND, I have my doubts about him as a pro, the same with McCoy. I don't think Locker or Bradford will be available for one reason or another...

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Sonny#9;3086453 said:

If I could have my druthers: Okung in the 1st, Asamoah or Iupati in the 2nd. That's a big step in the right direction!

As for QB...I think the line needs to be fixed 1st...and as much as I like watching Claussen play at ND, I have my doubts about him as a pro, the same with McCoy. I don't think Locker or Bradford will be available for one reason or another...

I've given up trying to predict how college QBs will play in the NFL. I think it all comes down to intelligence and work ethic. They need to be the kind of people who will be in the film room for long hours, understand what they are seeing, and then recognize it on the field. I think it's impossible to know which of these college QBs can do that.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3086471 said:
I've given up trying to predict how college QBs will play in the NFL. I think it all comes down to intelligence and work ethic. They need to be the kind of people who will be in the film room for long hours, understand what they are seeing, and then recognize it on the field. I think it's impossible to know which of these college QBs can do that.

That's why I want Okung and one of the road-grating guards :)

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Sonny#9;3086477 said:
That's why I want Okung and one of the road-grating guards :)

I don't watch a lot of college football, but if there's anyway we can come out of it with a quality tackle and guard, I'd be thrilled. One possibility is giving Rogers a first round qualifying offer. There might be some team out there that would be willing to give up a first for him since his yards per attempt stats are usually at the top of the league.

Sonny#9

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3086506 said:
I don't watch a lot of college football, but if there's anyway we can come out of it with a quality tackle and guard, I'd be thrilled.

Yeah -- and without Vinny!!!!!

Skinsmaniac;3086506 said:
One possibility is giving Rogers a first round qualifying offer. There might be some team out there that would be willing to give up a first for him since his yards per attempt stats are usually at the top of the league.

Come on, Al Davis! :)

Reaction score
Sonny#9;3086453 said:

Locker will be the best of that group... followed closely by Jimmy the Great.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3084680 said:
I've been a big supporter of Jason Campbell, and my biggest selling point has been that's he's improved statistically every year, but even I admitted this past offseason that Jason needed to show us something more this year if he wanted to return as a starter (I do think he will be back because he's a restricted FA). After the first three games, I was resigned to the fact that he would never turn the corner. After nine games his stats look like this:

http://img338.*************/img338/7784/stats.tif

So the problem I'm having is that he has improved his YPA by a full yard to a point where it (7.4) is now respectable. His turnovers have increased as well though (3/10 fumbles were lost this year). Still, statistically speaking, Campbell is a top 15 QB in the league, and it's reasonable to expect him to continue to get better, so now I'm torn. His biggest weakness is accuracy on long throws. I'm not sure an offense can ever be good if the defense isn't scared of the deep ball. So, I'm looking for your opinions.

Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter Quincy Carter
Now that we got that out of the way, other opinions would be appreciated.

How do you FAIRLY evaluate a quarterback who has a different head coach and offensive coordinator every other year and an owner who clearly has no idea what he is doing? I liked Campbell coming out of college and I was mad you guys got him because I could no longer cheer for him.

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;3084851 said:
He's not good, he's not bad. His situation in Washington didn't help his development any, but he's not terrible. He's not going to win any championships either.

LOL. Sounds like Trent Dilfer...and he didn't win a championship, did he?

BeWare94

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;3084979 said:
Well, I think he was placed in a no win situation. I have been arguing with you Skins fans for years about how your team is assembled and finally some of you are starting to get it.

Throwing away draft picks and making questionable personnel decisions is a crippling factor for a team. Let me give you a few examples.

1. Stephen Davis. He was a weapon. I can't even tell you how many Skins fans told me that Trung Canidate was a better option because of Spurrier's system. I tried to tell them that I actually knew Trung from here at the University of Arizona and some of your best and brightest fans told me I was wrong. Keeping Davis would have been a mistake.

2. When it became obvious that I was correct and getting rid of Stephen Davis was a mistake the Commanders over reacted to the need to get a RB. While I do think Clinton Portis was pretty good, the price you paid was ignorant. Holy cow, you do not get rid of the best CB in the game and throw in a Draft pick for a RB.

3. Throwing away draft picks for players is way too risky. I could not believe the price you guys paid for TJ Duckett.

When you do things liek this that affect your team at multiple positions it will only boomerang back on a QB. Especially if he is thrown to the wolves too soon. You overpaid for him, tossed him in as a starter before he was ready, and are surprised that his results are not Pro Bowl caliber as you have upheaval around him on a yearly basis.

I liked Campbell coming out of college, but I honestly thought he needed to be a backup QB who you see if he can develop into a starter. I didn't see him as a 1st round pick by any wild stretch of the imagination. he's being treated like a franchise QB because of his Draft status. I think that is a mistake.

I tip my hat to him for how handles insults from the team. They are apparently doing everything in their power to get rid of him. If I had money to bet, I'd say you will reach for a QB again and use him wrong. It's a pattern.

You have no depth because of the Free Agent spending sprees your owner goes on and when injuries hit you, there's little to do except ride them out and pray for mediocrity.

In truth, I don't see your team coming out of the cellar until there is a complete philosophy change. It's not Campbell's fault he was drafted where he was or thrown in too soon. But he's the guy who will get scapegoated for the poor decisions all around him.

Good kid who is getting ruined by a bad system, and I do not mean the WCO. He fits that quite well. The problem is there is no stability in DC. Drama rules the day every day. The QB feels the brunt of that. Fans, media, and management are all on his back. That's a no win. Eli Manning would not have developed into the QB he is now, in Washington.

:hammer: Damned good post. I couldn't have said it better.

jay cee

Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;3085353 said:
I like Campbell just not in Washington, I'm sure he'll be gone after this year.

I hope so, I liked him at Auburn and I would like to be able to root for him again.

jay cee

Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3086471 said:

I totally agree with that post. Thats why IMO you have to do everything you can to build a strong team. IMO, you never reach on a qb the way the skins did with Campbell.

joseephuss

Reaction score
This game was a perfect example of what you get out of Jason Campbell. He played okay. He did not make a lot of mistakes and did some good things. He just can't make the big plays and create touchdowns. He does well when he is asked to "play not to lose", but can't really do the "play to win" part of being a QB. I think he would make a very good back up and an okay starter on a strong offensive team. The Commanders don't have a strong offensive team.