Your ideal trade-back scenario

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
In reviewing the teams out there, the ones that look like they will enter the offseason with absolutely no potential answers at QB would be the following teams:

- #5 San Fran
- #12 Philly
- #18 St. Louis
- #22 Houston

If they had a franchise grade on a QB and wanted to move up to pick #4 to grab him, which of those teams would be the best trade-back in your opinion and what would be an acceptable package of picks?

tm1119

Reaction score
I'd rather just draft 1 of the QB's for ourselves....now if both go in the top 3 before us we should be looking at teams in need of a franchise LT to trade up for. That scenario could net us just as many picks if the 1st 3 picks are Bosa, QB, QB.

Dodger12

Reaction score
No way should we trade down to the bottom of the 1st unless some team offers a boatload of picks including multiple #1 picks. As it stands now, I'm not sure there's a consensus #1 overall pick and that definitely hurts our trade leverage but no doubt quite a few players will shoot up the draft boards after the combine and their private workouts.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have an ideal trade down scenario. I want our scouting department to determine there's a franchise QB in this draft and I want the Cowboys to move mountains if need be to get that player.

People fall in love every year with moving down and stockpiling picks but sometimes you have to just take the talent. I'd argue a top 5-ish pick for this team is one of those times.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I'd rather just draft 1 of the QB's for ourselves....now if both go in the top 3 before us we should be looking at teams in need of a franchise LT to trade up for. That scenario could net us just as many picks if the 1st 3 picks are Bosa, QB, QB.

I am all in on that for sure if they have a QB high on their board. But, I see a lot of posters that are not so I wanted to see what they envisioned a worthwhile package to be. More fun than talking about our trainwreck of a season!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't have an ideal trade down scenario. I want our scouting department to determine there's a franchise QB in this draft and I want the Cowboys to move mountains if need be to get that player.

People fall in love every year with moving down and stockpiling picks but sometimes you have to just take the talent. I'd argue a top 5-ish pick for this team is one of those times.

Now what if they love say, Carson Wentz who at the time winds valued at Top 20, and they pull a trade down to 18 netting a day 2 pick and a 2017 #1?

How does that sound

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I am all in on that for sure if they have a QB high on their board. But, I see a lot of posters that are not so I wanted to see what they envisioned a worthwhile package to be. More fun than talking about our trainwreck of a season!
Honestly if they are adamant about not taking a QB in the first, I really want them to trade. Not a great top of the draft, but it seems a little deeper in the mid portion of the first. In your senario I would trade down to 18 as I feel we can still get a high quality impact player ( Elliott, Billings) and get a solid haul in day 2 picks

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
In reviewing the teams out there, the ones that look like they will enter the offseason with absolutely no potential answers at QB would be the following teams:

- #5 San Fran
- #12 Philly
- #18 St. Louis
- #22 Houston

If they had a franchise grade on a QB and wanted to move up to pick #4 to grab him, which of those teams would be the best trade-back in your opinion and what would be an acceptable package of picks?

The Rams would be the ideal since they are the only ones with two 2nd rd picks.
Their 1st and both 2nd rd picks for pick no 4 would make me quite happy.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
The Rams would be the ideal since they are the only ones with two 2nd rd picks.
Their 1st and both 2nd rd picks for pick no 4 would make me quite happy.

I'd want their 3rd too, but yeah. Having a 1, three 2s, and two 3s (maybe three) sounds nice.

Reactions: BAT

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with this, you have to look at how your draft board is graded and determine if one of the group of players you are considering would still be there say a couple of picks later.

In other words if we are at #4 and there are 3 players wiith the same grade sitting there and we could move down to #6 and pick up a 2nd rounder and still get one of the 3 players I would do that in a heartbeat.

Sydla

Reaction score

- #5 San Fran
- #12 Philly
- #18 St. Louis
- #22 Houston

Philly is going to try to resign Bradford.

It would be a tough sell in Philly at this point for the Eagles to draft a QB in the first which would indicate a total rebuild. Fans and the media won't stomach Kelly basically being given another 3 years to build a team. If they don't sign Bradford, they'll try for Kap or RG3 IMO.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
Philly is going to try to resign Bradford.

It would be a tough sell in Philly at this point for the Eagles to draft a QB in the first which would indicate a total rebuild. Fans and the media won't stomach Kelly basically being given another 3 years to build a team. If they don't sign Bradford, they'll try for Kap or RG3 IMO.

Agreed. No way Philly goes QB in the first. I'd think they would've just went all in on Mariota last year if they really wanted a QB.

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
Pick no 4 worth 1800 points traded to Rams for pick no 18, 42, and 48 also worth 1800 points.

Rams get their Rookie QB and we get 4 top 50 talents.

reddyuta

Reaction score

This is a defining post Romo moment for Jerry and Co, if they pass on a franchise Qb with a top 5 pick and if they are wrong then there really is no hope .

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now what if they love say, Carson Wentz who at the time winds valued at Top 20, and they pull a trade down to 18 netting a day 2 pick and a 2017 #1?

How does that sound

That would be a scenario where I'd prefer a trade down but it's dicey projecting where you need to pick him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

How does that sound

That would be a scenario where I'd prefer a trade down but it's dicey projecting where you need to pick him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I agree with this, you have to look at how your draft board is graded and determine if one of the group of players you are considering would still be there say a couple of picks later.

In other words if we are at #4 and there are 3 players wiith the same grade sitting there and we could move down to #6 and pick up a 2nd rounder and still get one of the 3 players I would do that in a heartbeat.

I'm not getting cute with this. If I'm running this team and my scouting department has a franchise QB grade on any of these QB prospects, I'm not trading down. If anything, I'm trying to move up.