Your ideal trade-back scenario

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Sf at five makes sense to me, they take Goff and Dallas picks up a second.

Personally Carson Wentz is not far off the first two and is the perfect "sit and watch" QB, so if you could get an extra second than you do it.

I agree though, a QB is critical and this is a good year to find one to develop.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I'm not getting cute with this. If I'm running this team and my scouting department has a franchise QB grade on any of these QB prospects, I'm not trading down. If anything, I'm trying to move up.

This is really where I find myself concerned. I want them to draft a QB. I want them to develop that guy into a top five elite talent. But, I am not sure if these guys know how to either identify a good QB or develop them once that poor kid is turned over to the Red Headed genius and Wade Wilson. They have never turned any rookie QB into anything viable in this league. We are all just hoping that they can.

I hope like crazy they can get this done, but I am pretty concerned that maybe these guys don't know how the heck to value QBs on a draft board and I am worried what Wade and JG would turn the poor kid into once he gets here. This kid needs some serious talent to succeed under this regime and Tony Romo still here so that he can learn from someone smart. Maybe hire another coach to teach him how to be a good QB before turning him over to Garrett.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I'm not getting cute with this. If I'm running this team and my scouting department has a franchise QB grade on any of these QB prospects, I'm not trading down. If anything, I'm trying to move up.

Correct. If you have a guy that you think can be a franchise QB, you take him. I don't care if he has a 2nd round grade on the media's board. If he's there, you take him.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Only way I'd be happy with trading back is if we can somehow manage to get 3 picks (possibly trading a little up with our 2nd rounder) in the bottom half of the 1st round. There are three guys/positions I like who will probably go in the 15-32 range. QB Wentz, DT A'Shawn Robinson, RBs Elliot/Henry. With some maneuvering, I think a top 5 pick in the 1st and a top 5 in the 2nd can get three mid/late 1sts and maybe even a little more.

therock1982

Reaction score
i wudnt oppose a trade back to early to mid teens then trading back again,to late 20s,if bth scenarios we gain an additional 2nd,i dont see much drop of in talent after top 10 through 2nd round.we cud effectively have 4 picks in the top 63 which would enable us to really add some starters

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
i wudnt oppose a trade back to early to mid teens then trading back again,to late 20s,if bth scenarios we gain an additional 2nd,i dont see much drop of in talent after top 10 through 2nd round.we cud effectively have 4 picks in the top 63 which would enable us to really add some starters

We wouldn't have to trade back to the late 20's to get 2 second rounders. In fact, St Louis has 2 second round picks, and with them sitting at pick 18 in the first, us trading back to 18 would get us both of their 2nd round picks. According to the pick value chart, it'd be a dead even trade.

They desperately need to find a #1 WR, and depending on Chris Long, might need a DE.

The only thing that throws a wrench in this is that Jeff Fisher is usually very frugal and conservative regarding the draft. I highly doubt there would be a player that he'd be willing to give up that much for.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
I really don't want to trade down. With that said, you absolutely do not trade with Philadelphia and hand them a potential franchise QB. The only way I even consider that is a trade similar to what Washington gave up to get RG3. 3 1sts, 2 2nds and a 3rd. Even then, I probably wouldn't hand them a potential franchise QB unless I had them graded out poorly. I don't care what the chart says or about the extra picks so don't bother quoting me about the points chart on this one. You don't hand franchise QBs over to division rivals, especially when we will need one in another season or two ourselves.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Only way I'd be happy with trading back is if we can somehow manage to get 3 picks (possibly trading a little up with our 2nd rounder) in the bottom half of the 1st round. There are three guys/positions I like who will probably go in the 15-32 range. QB Wentz, DT A'Shawn Robinson, RBs Elliot/Henry. With some maneuvering, I think a top 5 pick in the 1st and a top 5 in the 2nd can get three mid/late 1sts and maybe even a little more.

Wentz is starting to grow on me. If we could trade back with STL and still get Wentz and at least 2 #2s that would be ideal. I would then try to trade up like you said and get a top RB late in round 1. That 5th year of control is a big plus and can even be extended to 6 years with the franchise tag.

visionary

Reaction score
Now what if they love say, Carson Wentz who at the time winds valued at Top 20, and they pull a trade down to 18 netting a day 2 pick and a 2017 #1?

How does that sound

That sounds good as long as our SCOUTS think Wentz is just as good as Goff

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Pick no 4 worth 1800 points traded to Rams for pick no 18, 42, and 48 also worth 1800 points.

Rams get their Rookie QB and we get 4 top 50 talents.

Yep. Another consideration would be the Rams' first and one second from this year and next year's first. Your proposal is more realistic, but I would fight for their first, their two seconds and their third or fourth to move up to #4.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Now what if they love say, Carson Wentz who at the time winds valued at Top 20, and they pull a trade down to 18 netting a day 2 pick and a 2017 #1?

How does that sound

Make that day 2 pick a second rounder this year and then I think you're onto something.

LandryFan

Reaction score
And even with that, we still need to get some help in the secondary. Lots of holes to fill this year.

That's where Free Agency could possibly help. We have the cap space to play should the need arise.

therock1982

Reaction score
i wudnt oppose a trade back to early to mid teens then trading back again,to late 20s,if bth scenarios we gain an additional 2nd,i dont see much drop of in talent after top 10 through 2nd round.we cud effectively have 4 picks in the top 63 which would enable us to really add some start
We wouldn't have to trade back to the late 20's to get 2 second rounders. In fact, St Louis has 2 second round picks, and with them sitting at pick 18 in the first, us trading back to 18 would get us both of their 2nd round picks. According to the pick value chart, it'd be a dead even trade.

They desperately need to find a #1 WR, and depending on Chris Long, might need a DE.

The only thing that throws a wrench in this is that Jeff Fisher is usually very frugal and conservative regarding the draft. I highly doubt there would be a player that he'd be willing to give up that much for.
so let fisher win and take a 2nd and a 3rd,then if an offer comes in for 18 and we net an additional 2nd again id roll the dice. say wentz,darian thompson and derron lee taken with 3 2nd round pcks instantly makes it a great draft and we still have a 1st n 2 3rds to use,say the 1st on the cb out of iowa and the 2 3rds on a rb and 1tech?