Your non football idol/childhood hero?

Stautner

Reaction score
TheCount;3907906 said:
My hero has always been my dad, I don't idolize celebrities or athletes.

I also had touble with the term "hero" .... I can't say anybody is my "hero" except my Dad. I just don't see people that way.

Of course, as a very young kid you may tend to imagine yourself as certain people (Heath Barkely, Little Joe, Roberto Clemente, bgut "hero" is not a word I would use.

There are people I admire though.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Growing up it mostly revolved around Dave Winfield. I was born and raised in NY and my first love was baseball and I just thought Winfield was this larger than life athlete. He would hit these line drive homers and had this cannon for an arm that always left me in awe.

Funny story, but the first MLB game I ever attended was in Toronto...the game where Winfield got arrested (after the game) for accidentally killing a seagull. The who crowd was chanting 'WINFIELD SUCKS' and I started crying (I was 6 years old). I prided myself to be much like him as a baseball player as he was a pitcher in college, so I wanted to be a pitcher and power hitter. I played shortstop when I wasn't pitcher and used the same low waggles of the bat before I got ready to hit like Winfield did.

Golf was/is all about Nicklaus. He just had this aura about him and he had this likeability to him that kinda reminded me of my dad. And he was blonde, I am blonde, so I really respected him.

Basketball is was Dwayne 'The Pearl' Washington.

Music it was Chuck D. In a weird sense, I could really understand his lyrics growing up as a white kid from Upstate NY. I really loathed High School and even looking back now, I still feel I got a raw deal from most of my teachers there (I used to think I'd probably look back and realize that I was a pain in the arse, but not I look back and still think I was treated poorly). To me, Chuck D was a guy that said what he believed in, even if it wasn't popular to say...which often it wasn't. But he didn't say things recklessly (most of the time), he put some thought into it and he was more or less just honest. Not always right or wrong, but honest. A few years ago I heard him in an interview rip into black radio stations and give props to the white owned radio stations that play hip-hop and R&B. The hosts were stunned, but that's Chuck D. It's not about race, it's about honesty.

3JACK

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
notherbob;3907434 said:
My childhood heroes were Alexander the Great, Leonardo Da Vinci, Albert "Norman" Einstein and Wernher von Braun. I wanted to be like them but I seem to have fallen a little short.

Mine is my Dad, but I have to say that Da Vinci is a fascinating guy.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Stautner;3907915 said:
I also had touble with the term "hero" ....

Right, hero is not the right word, ... at least not for the names I mentioned above.

Stautner

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3907997 said:
Right, hero is not the right word, ... at least not for the names I mentioned above.

I liked your list though. Most of them were guys/characters I liked a lot as a kid. Loved Heath Barkley, but Nick was a jerk. Hoss was likeable, but Little Joe was the one you wanted to be.

And Clemente - it really struck a chord with me when i found he died in a mission to help earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

notherbob

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3907945 said:
Mine is my Dad, but I have to say that Da Vinci is a fascinating guy.

I envy you. My dad left home when I was only 14 months old so admiring or respecting my dad was not an option for me. In fact, I clearly remember the night he left even though I was only 14 months old and in my footed jammies at the time. It was not a happy memory and it was the just first of a whole long string of unhappy memories but we must all learn to rise above our limitations and persevere and life goes on.

I respect men who are there for their children when they are needed and I am glad you can have your father as a respected part of your life, we need more like him.

I had a hard time growing up and I learned a lot of lessons the hard way but I learned the best I could from my perspective and have tried to accomplish whatever little I can to pay back life for my education. I find that if I treat all with respect, them most will treat me likewise.

Life is good.

braw

Reaction score
Childhood hero= Superman

Person I admired growing up= Nikola Tesla

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
Stautner;3908156 said:
I liked your list though. Most of them were guys/characters I liked a lot as a kid. Loved Heath Barkley, but Nick was a jerk. Hoss was likeable, but Little Joe was the one you wanted to be.

And Clemente - it really struck a chord with me when i found he died in a mission to help earthquake victims in Nicaragua.

I got to shake Clemente's hand once before a Pirates game. He was an awesome baseball player. That's back when I loved basball and Clemente.

It really shook me up when he died. I wouldn't believe it at first, ... had to be some mistake.

I lost interest in baseball after that.

Neat story about shaking his hand.

I was around 14 or 15 I think. We were at the Pirates game. I was over by the visitors dugout before the game. I think it was Montreal, not sure. Anyway, their catcher, (a big dude, I think his name was Carter, not sure) was only signing autographs to people who were polite and nice to him. Some would shout or demand, "sign this!" or "sign mine!". He totally ignored them, but the people that politely asked him, he woud get their name and write something other than just an autograph.

I watched him for a while and that is exactly what he was doing. I guess he had probably gotten sick of people yelling at him and demanding an autograph.

Then later I was over by the Pirates dugout, by the shallow RF fence trying to get close to Roberto. I was a couple of rows back. People were shouting at him, yelling and demanding, "sign mine", "sign this", and he politely signed them all. His interpreter said "one more", and the guy in front of me shoved his paper out and got the last autograph.

As the crowd dispersed, and Roberto and his interpreter moved away just a little, I remembered the Montreal catcher, and I spoke up, "Mr. Clemente, would you sign this please?"

I tried to be as humble and respectful as I could be. He must have liked that.

He stopped, walked over, put his left hand on my shoulder and shook my hand. He gave me his autograph too, and then walked away.

I was floating !

I turned to see if Dad had seen what had just happened, .. he was up in the crowd, about 50 ft away with both fists pumping in the air like I had just hit the game-winning homerun!

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3908980 said:
I got to shake Clemente's hand once before a Pirates game. He was an awesome baseball player. That's back when I loved basball and Clemente.

It really shook me up when he died. I wouldn't believe it at first, ... had to be some mistake.

I was around 14 or 15 I think. We were at the Pirates game. I was over by the visitors dugout before the game. I think it was Montreal, not sure. Anyway, their catcher, (a big dude, I think his name was Carter, not sure) was only signing autographs to people who were polite and nice to him. Some would shout or demand, "sign this!" or "sign mine!". He totally ignored them, but the people that politely asked him, he woud get their name and write something other than just an autograph.

I watched him for a while and that is exactly what he was doing. I guess he had probably gotten sick of people yelling at him and demanding an autograph.

Then later I was over by the Pirates dugout, by the shallow RF fence trying to get close to Roberto. I was a couple of rows back. People were shouting at him, yelling and demanding, "sign mine", "sign this", and he politely signed them all. His interpreter said "one more", and the guy in front of me shoved his paper out and got the last autograph.

As the crowd dispersed, and Roberto and his interpreter moved away just a little, I remembered the Montreal catcher, and I spoke up, "Mr. Clemente, would you sign this please?"

He stopped, walked over, put his left hand on my shoulder and shook my hand. He gave me his autograph too, and then walked away.

I was floating !

I turned to see if Dad had seen what had just happened, .. he was up in the crowd, about 50 ft away with both fists pumping in the air like I had just hit the game-winning homerun!

Cool story :thumbup:

heavyg

Reaction score
I almost didn't even read this thread. But after reading this story I am glad I did. It brought tears to my eyes. Not because of what the player did but because of your fathers reaction. We need more dads like that. I pray that this is how my kids see me when they look back.

WV Cowboy;3908980 said:

I was floating !

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
heavyg;3909230 said:
I pray that this is how my kids see me when they look back.

Now that is a prayer God will answer.

My dad is a peculiar bird.

I have no doubt in my mind that he loves me and is proud of me, but he's 83 and I'm 57 and he has never told me one time.

Sometimes if something good happens for me, my Mom will say, "your Dad sure is proud of you." And that is a good thing, but why can't he tell me?

He has lived in the same town since 1962 and does not have one friend, .. not one.

He goes nowhere, he does nothing. Oh sometimes he may go to Lowes or ACE Hardware, .. and he goes to church each Sunday morning.

That's it.

He loves dogs.

He is a very smart man. He started as a grunt worker, carrying a lunch bucket to work each day for an electrical company. He retired as president of the company.

He is on his computer at 9:00 each morning, takes his walk every day at 11:00. He works on hobbies or around the house in the afternoon and takes his nap every day at 4:00.

He sits back in the TV room, works crossword puzzles and watches Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy in the evening.

I live near them and try to visit a couple of times a week. Sometimes he doesn't even come out of the TV room when my Mom and I are talking in the living room.

He is an introvert I guess. Nobody really knows him. He could be in witness protection or an undercover agent for all I know.

:cool:

heavyg

Reaction score
I could see myself that way sometimes. Not to that extreme. But I have a select few friends. Not much on going out to places where a lot of people hang out. I do tell my kids everyday I love them and if they do something I am proud of I tell them. If they screw up I let em know about that also. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But I try...lol

WV Cowboy;3909259 said:
Now that is a prayer God will answer.

My dad is a peculiar bird.

I have no doubt in my mind that he loves me and is proud of me, but he's 83 and I'm 57 and he has never told me one time.

Sometimes if something good happens for me, my Mom will say, "your Dad sure is proud of you." And that is a good thing, but why can't he tell me?

He has lived in the same town since 1962 and does not have one friend, .. not one.

He goes nowhere, he does nothing. Oh sometimes he may go to Lowes or ACE Hardware, .. and he goes to church each Sunday morning.

That's it.

He loves dogs.

He is a very smart man. He started as a grunt worker, carrying a lunch bucket to work each day for an electrical company. He retired as president of the company.

He is on his computer at 9:00 each morning, takes his walk every day at 11:00. He works on hobbies or around the house in the afternoon and takes his nap every day at 4:00.

He sits back in the TV room, works crossword puzzles and watches Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy in the evening.

I live near them and try to visit a couple of times a week. Sometimes he doesn't even come out of the TV room when my Mom and I are talking in the living room.

He is an introvert I guess. Nobody really knows him. He could be in witness protection or an undercover agent for all I know.

:cool: