Your Offseason Plan

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Now that most of the big coaching decisions have been made and the staff is nearly complete, I've started to take a look at the roster, and the players I would keep and those I would let go. I'm interested to see what you all would do if it were up to you?
Not feasible. Can’t sign all those players. Signing dak to one year also makes cap difficult.
  1. I would franchise tag Prescott for this year. Give the new staff a year or so to work with him and then truly decide if he is worth the huge investment. Having said that, I fully expect the team to give him a long term deal instead. $35 million annually.
  2. Give Amari Cooper the big money contract. He's a proven commodity on the field and a safe bet off the field. It will certainly be overpaying, but you signed on for that when you traded for him. $18-$20 million annually.
  3. Pay Robert Quinn. No Cowboys defender was more disruptive and more productive than he was. If anyone deserves to get paid around here, it's him. Don;t let good pass rushers get away. $10 million annually.
  4. Let Byron Jones walk. Good player, great teammate, team guy. Allergic to the football and will likely cost $14-$15 million a year. Just not a playmaker and this defense needs them.
  5. Cut Tyrone Crawford. A no-brainer. Saves you $8 million in cap room that can be used for an actual starter.
  6. Sign DT Jordan Phillips. A huge, mountain of a man at 6'6" and 340 lbs to solidify the middle of your defense. A young player that came into his own in 2019 with 9.5 sacks. Pay Phillips the money you saved by releasing Crawford. $6 - $8 million annually.
  7. Sign Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to help to solidify one of your safety spots. Bye bye Jeff Heath, thanks for everything. $5 - $6 million annually.
  8. Sign TE Eric Ebron. A former 1st round pick and a high end athlete at the position, much needed in McCarthy's offense. 13 touchdowns in 2018 is no joke. $7 million annually.
  9. Re-sign Randall Cobb. He was worth the money last year and will likely want to stick around.
  10. Re-sign Tavon Austin for the same modest salary as in 2019. I think the new staff and special teams coach will better utilize him.
  11. Bring back Sean Lee in whatever capacity he chooses. If he wants to play another year? Let him play. If he wants to get into coaching? Make him a defensive assistant. The point is that you don't let a football guy and mind like that leave the building.
  12. Dedicate your draft capital to fixing your defense. The offensive side has enough talent and investments and the defense doesn't. While the offensive picks have hit, the defensive ones have missed, so it's back to the drawing board and the draft.
That's my early plan, what do you folks think we should do?
Great plan! Not completely sold on Ha-Ha Dix but otherwise I'd implement everything you lined out.

The other obvious upgrade is at HC. That will make a huge impact on this team. HUGE!

Not bad, but the only way that very expensive offseason plan works is if you sign Dak long term and push his salary down the line.

Not sure we should sign Quinn unless he comes at a reasonable salary. For as good as he was against the pass, he was bad against the run. Don't like the Dixon signing either.

Personally, I would try to trade Zeke, but I am sure that would be unpopular here. If you could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick it would be a windfall. Get rid of that horrid salary and put the money some place else.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Actually, Austin cost just $1.6 million last year.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tavon-austin-12288/
Too many different sources with different figures. We'll play it safe and round it off to $2 million. :laugh:

3mekm8.jpg

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/11/30/dallas-cowboys-5-pink-slips-2020/amp/6/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not bad, but the only way that very expensive offseason plan works is if you sign Dak long term and push his salary down the line.

Not sure we should sign Quinn unless he comes at a reasonable salary. For as good as he was against the pass, he was bad against the run. Don't like the Dixon signing either.

Personally, I would try to trade Zeke, but I am sure that would be unpopular here. If you could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick it would be a windfall. Get rid of that horrid salary and put the money some place else.

$25 million in dead cap money, good luck with that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/ezekiel-elliott-18952/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
love the moves, but i think you're undervaluing the contracts on some of those guys. Quinn and Phillips might get a little more than that.

starfan1

Reaction score
Now that most of the big coaching decisions have been made and the staff is nearly complete, I've started to take a look at the roster, and the players I would keep and those I would let go. I'm interested to see what you all would do if it were up to you?

1. I would franchise tag Prescott for this year. Give the new staff a year or so to work with him and then truly decide if he is worth the huge investment. Having said that, I fully expect the team to give him a long term deal instead. $35 million annually. I wouldnt lose my mind if they did that Id rather have a 33.5 contract with escalators
  2. Give Amari Cooper the big money contract. He's a proven commodity on the field and a safe bet off the field. It will certainly be overpaying, but you signed on for that when you traded for him. $18-$20 million annually. Not sure Im down with this. I want to pay amari but his injury history and his disappearing acts are a concern.
  3. Pay Robert Quinn. No Cowboys defender was more disruptive and more productive than he was. If anyone deserves to get paid around here, it's him. Don;t let good pass rushers get away. $10 million annually.check
  4. Let Byron Jones walk. Good player, great teammate, team guy. Allergic to the football and will likely cost $14-$15 million a year. Just not a playmaker and this defense needs them. check
  5. Cut Tyrone Crawford. A no-brainer. Saves you $8 million in cap room that can be used for an actual starter. Check
  6. Sign DT Jordan Phillips. A huge, mountain of a man at 6'6" and 340 lbs to solidify the middle of your defense. A young player that came into his own in 2019 with 9.5 sacks. Pay Phillips the money you saved by releasing Crawford. $6 - $8 million annually.Dont know about Phillips but llike the idea perhaps daniels a name Ive heard thrown around as well.
  7. Sign Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to help to solidify one of your safety spots. Bye bye Jeff Heath, thanks for everything. $5 - $6 million annually. Ha Ha is Ha Ha and not who id target. I think Heath is serviceable and gets a bad rap I say use the draft to improve that possibly go after Jamaal adams ?
  8. Sign TE Eric Ebron. A former 1st round pick and a high end athlete at the position, much needed in McCarthy's offense. 13 touchdowns in 2018 is no joke. $7 million annually. check bye Witten Love you but..
  9. Re-sign Randall Cobb. He was worth the money last year and will likely want to stick around. check
  10. Re-sign Tavon Austin for the same modest salary as in 2019. I think the new staff and special teams coach will better utilize him. Perhaps the return game is not what it once was in this league but Austin is a threat
  11. Bring back Sean Lee in whatever capacity he chooses. If he wants to play another year? Let him play. If he wants to get into coaching? Make him a defensive assistant. The point is that you don't let a football guy and mind like that leave the building. check
  12. Dedicate your draft capital to fixing your defense. The offensive side has enough talent and investments and the defense doesn't. While the offensive picks have hit, the defensive ones have missed, so it's back to the drawing board and the draft. depending on mcGovern and Williams health if you get someone late who can help im not opposed
I think if you see a back up QB that can provide some competition in camp in the drafts later rounds especially (Hurts) that wouldnt hurt Cooper scares no one except me if hes starting. All the things I put check by agree with

shabazz

Reaction score
Excellent points by the OP, however Franchising Dakota without drafting a QB may not be the best option. If another QB isn't brought in via draft or free agency, than there is no plan B and the Boys will be forced into an overpaying scenario. Additionally, its in the best interest of the team to have meaningful competition at the most important position on the team.

tm1119

Reaction score
Still way too early to do this, but this is a general guideline of what I’d try to do. The FA names are obviously stabs in the dark as any/all could end up getting resigned.

Workout a deal with Dak, structured so the 1st year is a cheap cap hit
Franchise Cooper
Resign: Quinn, Brown, Cobb, Looney
Free agents: Damarious Randall, Vernon Butler, PJ Williams

Draft: not going to try and guess names at this point, but in a perfect world it would go-
1st- CB
2nd- TE
3rd- DE
4th- OT
5th- LB
5th comp- DT
6th- S

Cowboyfanforlife

Reaction score
1.Sean Lee, Jeff Heath, Awuzie, brown, crawford, witten, Goodbye......
2.DLAW, try to re-work contract, get another 1-2 years........Goodbye
3.If you gonna keep Dak, you may need to sign Coop.......thats a maybe
4.Re-work tyron for a maybe 1-2 years....Goodbye
5.Byron Jones....let'em walk
6. Seriously analyze Jaylon Smith, not worth the money he got unless he erupts this year otherwise.........Goodbye
7. If Cincy wanted Dak and a Sign and trade along with Cowboys #17 and a second or third and get Burrows....I'd go for it
8. Rebuild the defense with some size (alot of size) and some football smarts and basic tackling skills

garyv

Reaction score

1. I would franchise tag Prescott for this year. Give the new staff a year or so to work with him and then truly decide if he is worth the huge investment. Having said that, I fully expect the team to give him a long term deal instead. $35 million annually.
  2. Give Amari Cooper the big money contract. He's a proven commodity on the field and a safe bet off the field. It will certainly be overpaying, but you signed on for that when you traded for him. $18-$20 million annually.
  3. Pay Robert Quinn. No Cowboys defender was more disruptive and more productive than he was. If anyone deserves to get paid around here, it's him. Don;t let good pass rushers get away. $10 million annually.
  4. Let Byron Jones walk. Good player, great teammate, team guy. Allergic to the football and will likely cost $14-$15 million a year. Just not a playmaker and this defense needs them.
  5. Cut Tyrone Crawford. A no-brainer. Saves you $8 million in cap room that can be used for an actual starter.
  6. Sign DT Jordan Phillips. A huge, mountain of a man at 6'6" and 340 lbs to solidify the middle of your defense. A young player that came into his own in 2019 with 9.5 sacks. Pay Phillips the money you saved by releasing Crawford. $6 - $8 million annually.
  7. Sign Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix to help to solidify one of your safety spots. Bye bye Jeff Heath, thanks for everything. $5 - $6 million annually.
  8. Sign TE Eric Ebron. A former 1st round pick and a high end athlete at the position, much needed in McCarthy's offense. 13 touchdowns in 2018 is no joke. $7 million annually.
  9. Re-sign Randall Cobb. He was worth the money last year and will likely want to stick around.
  10. Re-sign Tavon Austin for the same modest salary as in 2019. I think the new staff and special teams coach will better utilize him.
  11. Bring back Sean Lee in whatever capacity he chooses. If he wants to play another year? Let him play. If he wants to get into coaching? Make him a defensive assistant. The point is that you don't let a football guy and mind like that leave the building.
  12. Dedicate your draft capital to fixing your defense. The offensive side has enough talent and investments and the defense doesn't. While the offensive picks have hit, the defensive ones have missed, so it's back to the drawing board and the draft.

Overall good plan. I was hoping for three big hits in the draft and two or three nice hits in free agency. They need five or six new faces that can start. No more eating Taco's on the Hill.