Your opinion on marijuana and sports...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's legal in Colorado and Washington, and will be nationwide soon enough, what then?

Cross that bridge when we get to it. Living in Kansas, I see the affects of the legalization in Colorado on this side of the border and in Colorado (not topics I will discuss here) and I fear what nationwide legalization would be like.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Ok, so this http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...nded-for-national-championship-004321519.html is what brought on this post.

I'm just curious how many out there really think athletes should be tested/suspended/punished for using marijuana. It is FAR from performance enhancing, in fact some would say it's the opposite. I say if a player is killing it on the field and is a stoner, they should(if anything) be rewarded, not punished. And I don't wanna hear "it's illegal" cuz its getting to where it may eventually be legal nation wide. Then what?

Thoughts?

I view Marijuana exactly as I view alcohol.

If one should be banned/tested for in the NFL, so should the other.

It'll be legal nationwide soon, and has less negative effects than alcohol. See no reason why they couldn't toke up on their days off, before bed, etc.

I personally think use of it should be ENFORCED on the sideline during the probowl by all players, might make things interesting =p

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
just because something is legal/illegal doesn't mean a contract you sign can't say no ____ or you'll be fined,suspended. If you don't like that get it changed through the labor deal.

Hardline

Reaction score
I would prefer pot to never be legalized. You create a slippery slope. Then the coke heads will want cocaine legalized.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It actually kinda isn't legal anywhere in this country right now. Recreational marijuana use violates federal law and federal law supersedes state law. The reason why it is "legal" in those 2 states is the federal government announced they wouldn't bother enforcing this particular federal law so really without any federal enforcement, individual states can do whatever they want.

The Tenth Amendment provides the states power for anything not explicitly granted to the federal government in the Constitution. The regulation of controlled substances, unless being sold between States, is a power that should legally be regulated by the States.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I wouldn't say that it is far from performance enhancing. I'm not a marijuana expert, but I find the plant to be fascinating (I haven't smoke in years either) because depending on the strain it can do so many different things. And there are strains that supposedly help with fear and anxiety. Although I think the 'performance enhancing' we are looking for is more about muscle growth, hand-and-eye coordination, etc.

I have zero problem with somebody that uses marijuana. It sure beats the alternatives like pain medication and anti-inflammatory drugs.

I also have a problem with banning a plant that grows naturally on earth. Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time before the sporting world grows up and lifts the ban on marijuana. I think most of the states will do that well before sports leagues do.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I look forward to the time when it is legal across the entire U.S.. I've tried it before and it did nothing for me. I probably won't try it again even if/when it becomes legal, but I know several people that would enjoy it.

I don't think it has a direct impact as a performance enhancing drug; however, I do believe it can possibly have an indirect effect for athletes. It can help them to relax, which can be beneficial to an athlete and others in life. The ability to calm down or come down from highly stressful situations is good for a person. Every now and then a drug can be a useful tool to help a person relax a little easier.

It serves a gazillion positive purposes.

A lot of it can be used in a positive fashion in an oil form. Like people with arthritis that use the oil and simply rub it on their joints. The oil has also been used to prevent seizures (particularly in children).

There was a documentary on legalizing medicinal marijuana. One of the people they followed around was a woman that had cystic fibrosis. Due to the cystic fibrosis this woman had the worst stuttering problem I had ever heard of. She was very debilitated in other ways. She said the only thing that relieves her stutter and pain is marijuana. Finally, the documentary makers arranged for her to buy some pot and she took it and after about 30 minutes her stutter was gone. She would speak a bit slowly, but she didn't stutter at all.

I look forward to the time when it is legal across the US as well. I will partake in it. But, I don't see it becoming a habit. However, the biggest reason I look forward to it is that I am outraged that people that have these debilitating conditions either don't try get to try marijuana because of the stigma attached to it or if they want to try pot, they have to sneak around like a criminal in order to do so. Who are we to tell parents of a child with severe seizures that they can't use marijuana oil? I'm downright ashamed that we act this way.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
It actually kinda isn't legal anywhere in this country right now. Recreational marijuana use violates federal law and federal law supersedes state law. The reason why it is "legal" in those 2 states is the federal government announced they wouldn't bother enforcing this particular federal law so really without any federal enforcement, individual states can do whatever they want.

And in Colorado (I don't know about the other states), it's up to the local governing bodies whether or not they want to make legal. So you could be in Denver and smoke it in the open, legally. And then be in another place in Colorado and you could be arrested for it.

Which is really the way it ought to be. I think marijuana should be legal, but I think it is up to the local governing bodies which are based on locally voted upon officials, to decide.

Florida was looking to pass a legalization of medicinal marijuana, but the vote lost. What ticks me off is that they needed to get 60% of the vote. It only got 59% of the vote. So despite the majority of voters wanting to legalize medicinal marijuana, we still lose out because of a cockamamie voting rule.

YR

Rogah

Reaction score
The Tenth Amendment provides the states power for anything not explicitly granted to the federal government in the Constitution. The regulation of controlled substances, unless being sold between States, is a power that should legally be regulated by the States.
I don't want to sit here and argue constitutional law, especially since I agree with you, but until someone sues the federal government and some court throws all federal drug laws out the window then the laws stand.

I mean, the Constitution doesn't say anything about the federal government regulating gambling, yet it is federal law that has kept gambling on sports illegal in 49 states*.

* Nevada is the state where it is fully legal (obviously). 3 other states are allowed a system of limited sports gambling which, IMHO, is so extremely limited as to not even be considered legal.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
If you are paying a guy $5 million plus a season, I dont think it is asking a ton for them to not smoke weed.

I have no problem with it being legalized but I also understand an employer wanting to protect their investments.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
I haven't smoked in about 2 years, but I used to smoke...a lot...

I don't have any sort of objection to marijuana or people that use marijuana at all. However, if the choice is between smoking marijuana and making millions of dollars, the choice should be pretty easy.

If it's really something where a player would risk his professional career for marijuana, then it's safe to say that he/she isn't the kind of player you want on your team, regardless.

illhurtya

Reaction score
I think all NFL teams players should smoke it just before kickoff and again at halftime. Cept for the Cowboys.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
If you are paying a guy $5 million plus a season, I dont think it is asking a ton for them to not smoke weed.

I have no problem with it being legalized but I also understand an employer wanting to protect their investments.

Than wouldn't they want to ban alcohol in that scenario as well as it hinders performance, and can portray the team in a negative light (dui-assaults)? If it boils down to what's in the contract, I would much prefer a player abstain from alcohol than marijuana.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think Lee, Beasley and a few others should be placed on an MMP (Marijuana Maint Plan) to add a few more pounds and thus help prevent injuries. It's a great plant .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think most feel it is no big deal but what gets me why a player would risk it over something that is not a big deal? My job I am randomly tested and believe me my pay is no where close to that of today's athletes yet I am not willing to risk it. I stopped smoking because as so many said it is not a big deal sure not worth losing a job over.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Rules of employment are rules of employment as far as I am concerned. I also think the feds have a little something to say also since they get an exemption from Monopoly rules.