Your Routine?

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I'm curious what people's daily routines are as I try to self-improve...and also curious if there are any minimalists around here?

I'll post mine in the next post below...

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Generally, M-F (variables noted):

0500 - Wake Up
0530 - Gym
0700 - Finish Workout, Shower, Breakfast, Etc.
0800 - In Office, Prep for Workday

**Workday**

5:30PM - Complete Workday, Commute Home
6:30PM - Dinner, Unwind, Evening Hobbies, etc.
9:45PM - Melatonin Dose
10:00PM - Light Reading/Sleep

Tuesdays I see a psychologist from 8-8:45 as a change in the mornings. I also have some weekday meetings that require me to be in the office a bit earlier some days.

As for minimalist stuff, living in New York, I have way too much stuff. What are some tools I can use or ways to reduce clutter?

Thanks all!

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
You ever heard of The Minimalists? They have a podcast. They're a bit generic and I question their sincerity, but the overall message of minimalism is cool.

It's more than just not having a lot of stuff. And it's not necessarily about being cheap. For example, if you need to wear jeans, you might as well spend a little extra money on one or two pairs of jeans that you like and that are high quality so that they last long. You don't need to shop at K-Mart and eat rice and beans to be a minimalist. You just have to be mindful of your possessions and avoid buying things that you don't get much value out of.

I was naturally a minimalist before I even knew it was a thing. Then my wife came along with her 50 pairs of shoes and it got a bit frustrating, but we've managed to get rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff so that we're not stepping on things in our little 500 square foot apartment.

As far as routine goes, I work from home and create my own hours so it doesn't always exactly go like this, but an ideal day might look like:

7 - 8:30 AM - wake up, get ready for the day, cook breakfast and hang out with the wife before work (omelets with bacon/sausage, shiitake mushrooms, green onions, jalapeno peppers, spinach, fresh herbs)

8:30 - 10:30 AM - do non-work-related studying/practice such as coding katas (short programming problems), technology-related videos/reading/online classes

10:30 - 5:30 PM - work (I'm a programmer), I usually have lunch while working somewhere between 1 and 2 pm, I make salads for the whole week on Sunday night (chicken, lettuce, greens, celery, cucumber, avocado, bell peppers, oil and vinegar)

5:30 - 7:30 PM - meet wife at the gym, exercise, sauna, travel back home

7:30 - 9 PM - cook dinner (some meat and veggies variation) and eat with the wife, clean up

9 - Midnight - unwind, watch Netflix, go to hot tub, read a little before bed

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Generally, M-F (variables noted):

0500 - Wake Up
0530 - Gym
0700 - Finish Workout, Shower, Breakfast, Etc.
0800 - In Office, Prep for Workday

**Workday**

5:30PM - Complete Workday, Commute Home
6:30PM - Dinner, Unwind, Evening Hobbies, etc.
9:45PM - Melatonin Dose
10:00PM - Light Reading/Sleep

Tuesdays I see a psychologist from 8-8:45 as a change in the mornings. I also have some weekday meetings that require me to be in the office a bit earlier some days.

As for minimalist stuff, living in New York, I have way too much stuff. What are some tools I can use or ways to reduce clutter?

Thanks all!
You ever heard of The Minimalists? They have a podcast. They're a bit generic and I question their sincerity, but the overall message of minimalism is cool.

It's more than just not having a lot of stuff. And it's not necessarily about being cheap. For example, if you need to wear jeans, you might as well spend a little extra money on one or two pairs of jeans that you like and that are high quality so that they last long. You don't need to shop at K-Mart and eat rice and beans to be a minimalist. You just have to be mindful of your possessions and avoid buying things that you don't get much value out of.

I was naturally a minimalist before I even knew it was a thing. Then my wife came along with her 50 pairs of shoes and it got a bit frustrating, but we've managed to get rid of a lot of unnecessary stuff so that we're not stepping on things in our little 500 square foot apartment.

As far as routine goes, I work from home and create my own hours so it doesn't always exactly go like this, but an ideal day might look like:

7 - 8:30 AM - wake up, get ready for the day, cook breakfast and hang out with the wife before work (omelets with bacon/sausage, shiitake mushrooms, green onions, jalapeno peppers, spinach, fresh herbs)

8:30 - 10:30 AM - do non-work-related studying/practice such as coding katas (short programming problems), technology-related videos/reading/online classes

10:30 - 5:30 PM - work (I'm a programmer), I usually have lunch while working somewhere between 1 and 2 pm, I make salads for the whole week on Sunday night (chicken, lettuce, greens, celery, cucumber, avocado, bell peppers, oil and vinegar)

5:30 - 7:30 PM - meet wife at the gym, exercise, sauna, travel back home

7:30 - 9 PM - cook dinner (some meat and veggies variation) and eat with the wife, clean up

9 - Midnight - unwind, watch Netflix, go to hot tub, read a little before bed
When does the drinking and posting on CZ happen?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Monday - Friday
5:20 Alarm then 40 minutes on the elliptical.
6:00 Shower, feed 4 pets, fresh grind my coffee, pack lunch, and feed the kid something before school.
7:00 Work
11:30 Lunch at my desk.
12:30 Actual lunch break but I go home and work out every day at lunch.
1:30-5:00 Work
5:00-6:00 I normally reserve this time for work in the veggie garden, errands, and home chores.
6:00-7:00 I love to cook and am pretty good. I usually handle about 4 meals a week and my wife the rest. It's a family hour where we're all in the kitchen together.
8:00-9:00 Back to the yard. I love yard work and have a beautiful yard. It's hot in Texas and this is normally the coolest hour to get out and do stuff.
9:00-10:00 Dog walking! I walk my dogs 4 miles every day rain or shine.
10:00-11:00 Reading time with a whiskey/water & a bowl.
11:00 Bed

I do watch TV, but almost exclusively on the weekends where the above schedule gets thrown out the door. Myself and my family are schedule people and we don't like getting thrown off of it. We're kind of uptight, but very punctual and responsible people that do what they say they will and are hard workers. Most of the work I do during the week is simply to free up as much time on my weekends as I possibly can. Everybody's working for the weekend!

I am trying to minimize and live more deliberately. About 1/2 my fruits and vegetables come from my own garden and we can and pickle. I still have to purchase some produce due to what I'm able to grow here. Our red meat intake is also almost exclusively venison. Between my son and I we put 4 deer in the freezer every season. We eat a lot of other wild game & fish, but I still have to purchase chicken, pork, and cold cuts. As far as the rest goes I'm a practical guy. I make descent $$$ and have a nice house, but drive an older Toyota Tacoma, have nothing on my walls, wear t-shirts & blue jeans, don't wear jewelry at all, and am not a brand name shopper though I don't buy cheap. I admittedly frown down on people I see driving Hummers, living in gigantic houses with a small family and wearing $200.00 sunglasses. Shallow I know, but I can't help it. Vacation time is where we choose to splurge and we take 4 big family vacations every year and have been all over the world together.

I'm a pretty liberal guy and a bit of a hippy who's dream has always been to live somewhat off the grid. My teenage son still wants to live right smack in the middle of the grid :), so this is it for now. When he leaves home in a few years my wife and I may look to take it up or down a notch by purchasing a small piece of land and including some livestock into the equation.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
M-F:
  • Wake up
  • Start Coffee
  • Shower
  • Make / Eat breakfast while Alexa give me the morning news. (NPR, BBC, ESPN)
  • Leave for work
  • Commit at least four accounts of road rage in my 30 mile drive
  • Arrive at work and make miracles happen while occasionally stopping at CBZ to cuss at other CBZ members.
  • Stop making miracles and leave work
  • Commit at least three more road rage events happen during my commute home.
  • Arrive at home and make dinner.
  • Eat dinner
  • Clean up after dinner
  • Commit a few offenses on CBZ that should get me ban, but doesn't.
  • Go to bed
  • Rise and repeat

S-S:
  • Do whatever the hell I feel like while committing offenses anywhere possible

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that I am retired my days have changed dramatically, going from 80 hour workweeks to trying to find things to do. I'm sure my days will get busier as soon as I decide to get another job, but for now, it's something like this.

Wake up at 6:30, go out and check on the cows, make sure they are all still there. Walk the dog, make some coffee go out and feed the cats, sit on the patio with my coffee and check my email, check into the beer thread, check for any interesting posts on the Fanzone. Go in for breakfast, kiss my wife and daughter goodbye and head to the mall. Get to the mall at about 10 minutes later at 7:40. Get a brisk five mile walk, leave the mall at about 8:45 head home, walk the pasture for a few minutes while the sauna heats up. Go in and sit in the sauna for about Half an hour. Shower up, sit for about an hour and chill. Head to my dads house and visit for a while, pick up my daughter from school at noon and head to the gym. Get a workout in and head home for lunch and another shower.chill out in the CZ and sit in front of the TV for a couple of hours.
Follow, so far? At about 5, or earlier, ok, most of the time earlier, I pour a drink and head outside. Sometimes I sit in the patio, sometimes I go walk around the pasture and other times I go to my mancave and listen to my jukebox, anyway, I enjoy my drink and cruise the Internet.
Go back in at about 6:30 for dinner, pour another drink and plant myself in front of the TV with my iPad.
Hit the hay at about 10, say my prayers and what happens when the lights go off is none of your business.

That's about 3 times a week the other couple of days I run errands or do a little work around the ranch when I get back from my walk. Weekends vary, either at the island or at home bbqing, either way we spend it with our family members.

Damn, I need to get another job! I read that back and it sounds pretty boring. Lol, Salud!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Monday - Friday
5:20 Alarm then 40 minutes on the elliptical.
6:00 Shower, feed 4 pets, fresh grind my coffee, pack lunch, and feed the kid something before school.
7:00 Work
11:30 Lunch at my desk.
12:30 Actual lunch break but I go home and work out every day at lunch.
1:30-5:00 Work
5:00-6:00 I normally reserve this time for work in the veggie garden, errands, and home chores.
6:00-7:00 I love to cook and am pretty good. I usually handle about 4 meals a week and my wife the rest. It's a family hour where we're all in the kitchen together.
8:00-9:00 Back to the yard. I love yard work and have a beautiful yard. It's hot in Texas and this is normally the coolest hour to get out and do stuff.
9:00-10:00 Dog walking! I walk my dogs 4 miles every day rain or shine.
10:00-11:00 Reading time with a whiskey/water & a bowl.
11:00 Bed

I do watch TV, but almost exclusively on the weekends where the above schedule gets thrown out the door. Myself and my family are schedule people and we don't like getting thrown off of it. We're kind of uptight, but very punctual and responsible people that do what they say they will and are hard workers. Most of the work I do during the week is simply to free up as much time on my weekends as I possibly can. Everybody's working for the weekend!

I am trying to minimize and live more deliberately. About 1/2 my fruits and vegetables come from my own garden and we can and pickle. I still have to purchase some produce due to what I'm able to grow here. Our red meat intake is also almost exclusively venison. Between my son and I we put 4 deer in the freezer every season. We eat a lot of other wild game & fish, but I still have to purchase chicken, pork, and cold cuts. As far as the rest goes I'm a practical guy. I make descent $$$ and have a nice house, but drive an older Toyota Tacoma, have nothing on my walls, wear t-shirts & blue jeans, don't wear jewelry at all, and am not a brand name shopper though I don't buy cheap. I admittedly frown down on people I see driving Hummers, living in gigantic houses with a small family and wearing $200.00 sunglasses. Shallow I know, but I can't help it. Vacation time is where we choose to splurge and we take 4 big family vacations every year and have been all over the world together.

I'm a pretty liberal guy and a bit of a hippy who's dream has always been to live somewhat off the grid. My teenage son still wants to live right smack in the middle of the grid :), so this is it for now. When he leaves home in a few years my wife and I may look to take it up or down a notch by purchasing a small piece of land and including some livestock into the equation.

This is definitely part of where I'm trying to go -- except the yard work part! :)

I don't have a car now living in New York, but when I eventually get married and move back to Maryland I want to buy a Honda Civic - the newest ones get 40+ MPG on the highway. I love that you guys save and take huge trips together around the world -- that's how I want to live with my family as well.

I used to be more brand name conscious, but I'm getting better about it. I do have my vices, though - electronics, and sneakers, man...I love tech in general and those are my "adult toys" (kind of like how you like yard work) - I love to build and modify computers, etc. And sneakers...well...we didn't really have much growing up...so as an adult with a little coin I like to buy some of the sneakers I wanted when they were cool but we couldn't afford :) -- the difference is I treat them like they are $5000 shoes. They'll be clean, maintained, and hopefully last a lifetime.

PS: Target jeans are $25 and they're phenomenal. They fit great and have a little stretch -- perfect for your gardening!

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Now that I am retired my days have changed dramatically, going from 80 hour workweeks to trying to find things to do. I'm sure my days will get busier as soon as I decide to get another job, but for now, it's something like this.

Wake up at 6:30, go out and check on the cows, make sure they are all still there. Walk the dog, make some coffee go out and feed the cats, sit on the patio with my coffee and check my email, check into the beer thread, check for any interesting posts on the Fanzone. Go in for breakfast, kiss my wife and daughter goodbye and head to the mall. Get to the mall at about 10 minutes later at 7:40. Get a brisk five mile walk, leave the mall at about 8:45 head home, walk the pasture for a few minutes while the sauna heats up. Go in and sit in the sauna for about Half an hour. Shower up, sit for about an hour and chill. Head to my dads house and visit for a while, pick up my daughter from school at noon and head to the gym. Get a workout in and head home for lunch and another shower.chill out in the CZ and sit in front of the TV for a couple of hours.
Follow, so far? At about 5, or earlier, ok, most of the time earlier, I pour a drink and head outside. Sometimes I sit in the patio, sometimes I go walk around the pasture and other times I go to my mancave and listen to my jukebox, anyway, I enjoy my drink and cruise the Internet.
Go back in at about 6:30 for dinner, pour another drink and plant myself in front of the TV with my iPad.
Hit the hay at about 10, say my prayers and what happens when the lights go off is none of your business.

That's about 3 times a week the other couple of days I run errands or do a little work around the ranch when I get back from my walk. Weekends vary, either at the island or at home bbqing, either way we spend it with our family members.

Damn, I need to get another job! I read that back and it sounds pretty boring. Lol, Salud!

Dude, if you're able-bodied, you should go out and get some umpire/referee certifications and officiate sports. It's one of the things I plan on trying to do as soon as I can find some classes to stay around basketball since I'm getting older and can't play as well as I used to. I also want to be a baseball ump. When I retire, those will be my beer money jobs :D

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
M-F:
  • Wake up
  • Start Coffee
  • Shower
  • Make / Eat breakfast while Alexa give me the morning news. (NPR, BBC, ESPN)
  • Leave for work
  • Commit at least four accounts of road rage in my 30 mile drive
  • Arrive at work and make miracles happen while occasionally stopping at CBZ to cuss at other CBZ members.
  • Stop making miracles and leave work
  • Commit at least three more road rage events happen during my commute home.
  • Arrive at home and make dinner.
  • Eat dinner
  • Clean up after dinner
  • Commit a few offenses on CBZ that should get me ban, but doesn't.
  • Go to bed
  • Rise and repeat

S-S:
  • Do whatever the hell I feel like while committing offenses anywhere possible

Yeah, we listen to Alexa read the morning news, though I tend not to pay attention to it. My wife works on Alexa so we use it for everything. The Echo is a cool little gadget. The speaker is surprisingly good so I use it to listen to music. I'm not a fan of the new calling features though. There seem to be more and more ways for people to be able to contact you. Hard to stay off the grid even without any social media accounts (besides CowboysZone).

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dude, if you're able-bodied, you should go out and get some umpire/referee certifications and officiate sports. It's one of the things I plan on trying to do as soon as I can find some classes to stay around basketball since I'm getting older and can't play as well as I used to. I also want to be a baseball ump. When I retire, those will be my beer money jobs :D
May officiate football eventually. I'll be getting my real estate license this fall. Got a job waiting, not in to much of a hurry right now. I may be in a couple of months once I'm bored outta my mind.
I have a few coaching friends that retired young like i did, some have gotten back into coaching and others are loving every minute of retirement. We'll see where i fall.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
May officiate football eventually. I'll be getting my real estate license this fall. Got a job waiting, not in to much of a hurry right now. I may be in a couple of months once I'm bored outta my mind.
I have a few coaching friends that retired young like i did, some have gotten back into coaching and others are loving every minute of retirement. We'll see where i fall.

My absolute dream job would be to coach basketball, but it's just way too hard to get into it. I would want to coach at a high level, too, not just rec league type stuff.

My secondary dream job would be a basketball general manager. I'm routinely baffled at how awful about 80% of the NBA's GMs are, and about 60% of the scouting departments seem to be incompetent in talent evaluation.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My absolute dream job would be to coach basketball, but it's just way too hard to get into it. I would want to coach at a high level, too, not just rec league type stuff.

My secondary dream job would be a basketball general manager. I'm routinely baffled at how awful about 80% of the NBA's GMs are, and about 60% of the scouting departments seem to be incompetent in talent evaluation.
I coached basketball for two years at a middle school, never played it. My first varsity football job the head coach had a big fight with the basketball coach and fired him in July. He walked into our office and yelled any of you Mother ****ers know anything about basketball? Another coach points at me an says, he coached basketball before. The head coach looks at me and says, congratulations you are our new varsity head basketball coach. I literally went to waldenbooks that night and bought three books on coaching basketball. Had a 12 and 4 district record. Lol, i resigned after the season and never coached HS basketball again. Though, It did look good on my resume when i became a head football coach.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score

You sure you want to put up with the abuse?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
This is definitely part of where I'm trying to go -- except the yard work part! :)

I don't have a car now living in New York, but when I eventually get married and move back to Maryland I want to buy a Honda Civic - the newest ones get 40+ MPG on the highway. I love that you guys save and take huge trips together around the world -- that's how I want to live with my family as well.

I used to be more brand name conscious, but I'm getting better about it. I do have my vices, though - electronics, and sneakers, man...I love tech in general and those are my "adult toys" (kind of like how you like yard work) - I love to build and modify computers, etc. And sneakers...well...we didn't really have much growing up...so as an adult with a little coin I like to buy some of the sneakers I wanted when they were cool but we couldn't afford :) -- the difference is I treat them like they are $5000 shoes. They'll be clean, maintained, and hopefully last a lifetime.

PS: Target jeans are $25 and they're phenomenal. They fit great and have a little stretch -- perfect for your gardening!

Well we all have vices. What fun would the world be without? I spend way too much on outdoor gear. I'm always in the market for a new tent, camp stove, headlamp, sleeping bag, kayak, or something like that. I also spend a fortune on ebooks. I can never find what I want on Kindle unlimited or at the used book store. The main thing I try to ask myself before purchasing something these days is "Is this really better than what I already have and do I really need it"? Most times the answer is no for me at least. Once I wipe away the shiny newness it's just more of the same stuff. I come from the same type of family (single mom who was a school teacher) and while we had very little, we also wanted for nothing. My mom called it forced simplicity. Vacation for us was a 3 hour Grey Hound bus ride to San Antonio to stay with family for a 3 day weekend. I never even flew for my first time until I was 24. I decided at a young age that traveling with my family was going to be one of my highest priorities as an adult. I figure that on my death bed I'll be reflecting on the time spent on vacation with my family rather what I drove or what kind of watch I wear. We leave July 3rd for a week long rafting trip down the Snake river in Idaho.