Your thoughts on Dak vs Stafford now

Big D

Reaction score
Some would argue if Stafford played his first 6 years with the rosters Dak played with, he may have had 5-6 playoff wins

I feel pretty certain that Dak (or maybe anyone) wouldn’t have had any playoff wins in Detroit, but who knows for sure

Have to compare players on same/similar rosters.
So all theoretical

Having said that, to each his own if they favor Dak or Matt

Some would also argue that a high calibre qb is supposed to elevate the play of those around them. It's BS I know but it's always thrown around in qb debates.
If I'm running a team I think I could win with both but I would want either of them putting up 40 passes per game like MM and Kellen.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you look at both qbs at the same time in their careers, that being the 6th year, Daks playoff record is 1-3 , Stafford 0-1
Stafford played with the Lions for 12 yrs and didn't win a single playoff game. His very first playoff win was this past season.
He sure got hosed against us.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Unless you can go back in time and put each in the others' shoes, any comparison is all speculation.

But for point of emphasis, in 2011 Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards, 41 tds, so obviously the Lions were a pretty good team, yet he lost the wild card game.
Lions were 10-6 in 2014, again at least a decent team, yet lost the wild card game again.

If Stafford was more than a "pretty good" quarterback you'd think he would have won one of those games.

People here talk about Dak's failures to get past the second round of the playoffs, but at least he got there, Stafford did not.

So I'd rate them about equal, if I had to pick one of the 3 choices given in the original post...

Cebrin

Reaction score
Is Dak > Stafford -- Rams just had a much better team, Stafford was just the bus driver?
Is Dak = Stafford -- Rams just got the breaks and team, but Dak is just as good as Stafford?
Is Dak < Stafford -- facts have proven that Dak isn't as good as Stafford, even though Stafford was a Lion?

There was quite the debate about this before the season. I am curious about how people think now.
Who knows what Stafford could have achieved on a better team. Same can be said for Dak though. I give Stafford a slight edge, but they're pretty close.

jnday

Reaction score
Is Dak > Stafford -- Rams just had a much better team, Stafford was just the bus driver?
Is Dak = Stafford -- Rams just got the breaks and team, but Dak is just as good as Stafford?
Is Dak < Stafford -- facts have proven that Dak isn't as good as Stafford, even though Stafford was a Lion?

There was quite the debate about this before the season. I am curious about how people think now.
Dak has played with the best offensive line , a top RB and a top WR unit. He still couldn’t win much. Stanford is ten times better as a QB. If he had the talent surrounding him like Dak he would have won a Super Bowl by now. Maybe two or three SBs.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Megatron was a stud
Yeah...one player out of 22 starters.
Whahooo!

No, seriously, that dude was a beast.

He also thinks Stafford is one the best QBs to ever play in the NFL. I get it's a homer take, but its still quite the endorsement.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Stafford is an A-One jerk. F that guy. Who rolls their eyes and walks away when a girl falls backwards from a 10 foot stage.

Last edited:

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Matt Stafford 4th quarter NFC Championship game.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Unless you can go back in time and put each in the others' shoes, any comparison is all speculation.

But for point of emphasis, in 2011 Stafford threw for over 5,000 yards, 41 tds, so obviously the Lions were a pretty good team, yet he lost the wild card game.
Lions were 10-6 in 2014, again at least a decent team, yet lost the wild card game again.

If Stafford was more than a "pretty good" quarterback you'd think he would have won one of those games.

People here talk about Dak's failures to get past the second round of the playoffs, but at least he got there, Stafford did not.

So I'd rate them about equal, if I had to pick one of the 3 choices given in the original post...
Lions lost two road playoff games to better teams.

Stafford is WAY better than a "pretty good" QB and he proved it by leading his team to a Super Bowl the ONLY time he ever played on a Super Bowl caliber team.

No speculation.
1st time with a team good enough....Super Bowl....boom.
End of question

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stafford is an A-One jerk. F that guy. Who rolls their eyes and walks away when a girl falls backwards from a 10 foot stage.

Get out of here.
Everyone that knows him in the NFL thinks he's a great guy.

DFWJC

Reaction score

He had TD passes dropped too....ad his team has 2 pick 6s dropped that day.

He was the only QB in NFL history to go the entire season and playoff without a 4th Qtr interception last year.
He led the NFL by a mile in clutch time QB rating and TDs-turnovers in the 4th quarter.

Sure, he caught a break there with 9 minutes still left in the game. It would've been the only 4th qtr pick all year for him.

I get that you don't like him--and it appears to be personal, based on your earlier post-- but he played his tail off in key moments in the playoffs last year. No player is or ever was perfect.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Takes major homerism to think Dak is better than Stafford.

Maybe.. but if the talent is close would it be unreasonable to expect the guy with 13 years experience to be better than the guy with 6? They are different players though. Their approaches to the game are just completely different thus it's not hard for me to see how some folks would prefer Dak over Stafford. Stafford is much more of a high risk/reward player and he obviously is not quite as athletic as Dak, especially now with a few more years under his belt. I think he has a superior arm and better mechanics but he gets sloppy with his footwork at times (just like Dak) which results in some horrible throws (just like Dak.) And both will occasionally make a brain fart throw.. but clearly Stafford has made more of them throughout his career. Stafford has hit double digit INTs in 11 of his 13 seasons with a high of 20. Dak is 3 out of six with a high of 13. Sorry but that counts in my book when evaluating a QB. In 2021 Stafford threw 4 more TDs than Dak but SEVEN more INTs. That's putting your defense in a bad way almost twice as often. If not for having a really good defense that turns into more losses. We all saw him try like hell to throw the 49ers into the Super Bowl in the NFC Championship game and we watched him toss up a couple of head scratcher picks in the Super Bowl too!

For their careers Dak actually has a higher TD percentage and lower INT percentage than does Stafford and has a higher completion percentage. Even if we give Stafford a pass for his Detroit years, Dak's numbers were actually better overall in 2021 .. all while playing for an inferior coaching staff and without the best WR in the league. So let's not act like it's some sort of affront to think Dak is better than Stafford.. because in many ways.. he is.. Don't get me wrong.. I think in certain situations I would rather have Stafford.. but then there are other situations where I think I'd rather have Dak. As for who's actually "better?" Who cares? Both are good enough to win with.. No evaluation is necessary beyond that really.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
End of question

No, it's not. If for no other reason than its' far too complicated a subject for one accomplishment to be the only factor determining the answer to the question.

Your opinion is your opinion, as is mine, we just don't agree...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't know about the circumstances of that but it is a bad look.

When he was in DET, he did an interview and got choked up when he talked about the shape of the city and the fans spending money to come see them and they couldn't deliver. He and his wife still operate their charity in DET for kids. He didn't desert a city, he left a bad team that had failed him.