You're the Lions GM

DT101

Reaction score
What moves do you make to get this team back into contention? Or, at least over .000

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I would fire Maranelli and go get a young coach like Spagnuola and tell him to assemble the entire staff.

In Free Agency I would go after a QB. Right now, that would be Matt Cassel.

In the Draft I would focus on OL and DL. I would try to trade out of the #1 spot and stockpile some picks.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Hostile;2523043 said:
I would fire Maranelli and go get a young coach like Spagnuola and tell him to assemble the entire staff.

In the Draft I would focus on OL and DL. I would try to trade out of the #1 spot and stockpile some picks.

While I think it's damn near impossible to trade out of the #1 spot these days, I'd say that's a pretty good recipe for success.

Coaching>QB>OL>DL>Skill players

Might not get you in the super bowl in a hurry, but it'll keep you out of the dregs.

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
Hostile;2523043 said:

Im with Hos on this one.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The lions won't be able to trade out of the top pick, why? Because there isn't an elite QB in this draft, there isn't even a senior QB who is garunteed to go on day 1. If there is an elite QB, you take him, but since there isn't they should go O-line with both picks. Signing Matt Cassell is probably a good idea if you can lure him into Detroit (better options will be available for Cassell) because he won't cost draft picks, but I'd take either Andre Smith or Michael Oher at #1 and Duke Robinson with our first round pick.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Total cleanhouse of all coaches, trainers, management, anyone associated with the Lions over the last 10 years.

I then copy what Jimmy did in 1989 by trading what few quality players are on the roster. The Lions already started this process by trading Roy Williams to Dallas for some picks. I would try to put another couple of trades like this together.

As for a new coaching staff, I would try and get somebody like Dick Lebeau, a disciplinarian known for always producing solid defenses. He then can hire whomever he wants for a staff.

I would also emulate Jimmy in another way in 1989... the unsigned player revolving door. Sift through every player released by other teams on a weekly basis. There will always be some diamonds in the rough (or poo poo if you are Emmitt Smith).

Draft philosophy would start with building an offensive line and defensive line. I am a firm beleiver that football is won on the line of scrimmage, and whoever controls it best is most likely to win. After this you can start grabbing other positions like QB, safety, MLB, etc.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile;2523043 said:

No need to post... Hos must have read my mind. :D

burmafrd

Reaction score
You go over every player on the roster and decide who really wants to play and who does not and get rid of those no matter what. Then you look at whats left and decide if they are going to be worth keeping. Then you start to get what you can through trades, draft and FA. Of course that is after you have cleaned out the scouting department and coaching staff and got all new people.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If Atlanta and Miami can go from worse to first, Detroit can in that division. They have one of the best young WRs in the league on offense and a few good players on D headlined by Ernie Sims. Give them Andre Smith, Duke Robinson, a few free agents and a solid QB and they can win that division

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
I would quite and go find a team that isnt cursed...........:lmao:

no really ...

i would go get a Marty Schottenheimer or Dan Reeves and tell them its all yours ..just tell me what you need

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile;2523043 said:

Cassel is a product of the system, you would have to be loco to pay him what he will command - franchise money. Fire the coach and bring in a football guy like Pioli to rebuild.

Have Pioli hire his coach and not another "hot young coordinator" that is disaster city.

Now that they stole Dallas first day draft they need to address the Line's. Teams build from within. Get a Rookie QB to compete with Orlovsky next season. They have a stud WR and a very good Rb in Smith.

Free agency go get secondary help.

klee34

Reaction score
LOL-I move them to Los Angeles and completely change the name and start from scratch, lol.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2523043 said:

Perfect with one exception...you forget to say...try to convince the ford family to sell the lions because maybe it is just me but they don't really seem to care much about that team.

playmakers

Reaction score
Trade Calvin Johnson. Why? As good as he is the team is still 0-16 with him. If you can get 4 starters for him then you have to do it. Washington would give up 2 1st's, a 2nd and a 3rd. That will give Det roughly pick 1-14-16-33-47 in the upcoming draft and 2 1st round picks the following year.

I would sign a QB like Garcia and have him compete with Culpepper in tc. With the first pick I think you take Andre Smith(I think thats his name) the OT and then take the best player availble.

yesfan

Reaction score
As soon as Huizenga closes the deal on his sale of the Dolphins you
have a meeting set up with Duane and give him whatever he wants.
The team is prime for a Parcells make over and he'll have all the picks.
I've read he has the itch to coach again,but if not true bring in Mangini
to coach under him.

GoGreen

Benched
Reaction score
DT101;2523021 said:
What moves do you make to get this team back into contention? Or, at least over .000
Try to trade all my underperforming mutts to the Dallas Cowboys for 1st and 3rd round draft choices. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
GoGreen;2538912 said:
Try to trade all my underperforming mutts to the Dallas Cowboys for 1st and 3rd round draft choices. :)
It is not in your best interests to show up and troll.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
I'd just sell the franchise to theogt. with his football knowledge the commish and owners would just agree to do away with the franchise.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
The Lions have 3 picks in the top 33. I would use both first rounders on the OL and then the #33 on the best TE left on the board, especially Gresham if he is still there.

Imagine if they too LT Mike Oher and G Duke Robinson in the first to short up one side of their OL. Bringing in Gresham gives them a safety valve when CJ is covered.

Then, I would focus the rest of my draft on the defensive side of the ball, except for a mid round WR.