Youtube or not?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Who ever is free is who I will listen to.

If you don't want to show free content then that is fine. On to the next musician who will.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think youtube can help make unknown people stars (to some degree) and make them cash.

There are loads of people who start out as nobodies but get somewhat famous on youtube and make some money from advertisements.

There are some that might be popular in one area of the world but get a hit video on youtube and it blows them up world wide...Call Me maybe song and the Gangnam Style song.

However the argument could be made that people are getting free music from youtube. People upload songs and make their own videos and other people get free apps/programs that will rip that music and put it in MP3 format so it is basically like doing the old napster thing and getting free music without paying for it.

With all the said and done...I love youtube. Can spend hours on it watching various videos even when I just start out with the intent of watching a few minutes and look up and an hour has gone by.

Also subscribe to a few channels of various topics like 80/90's movies (mostly cheesy comedies), prank channels like Tom Mabe and Jack vale, Couple of different fishing channels and other stuff.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
The 'Epic Rap Battles of History' is the best thing on YouTube right now. Strait awesomeness.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The newest one is pretty good: Walter White (Breaking Bad) vs Rick ( Walking Dead). I would link it, but unsure about the language.

I will have to check it out later. Not good to link those as most have language in them.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
No. I don't even know what I would search for.

so it's important for bands to have videos on youtube, even if you don't go looking for them there.

if you simply clicked a link to watch a video, the value is where you were to click the link.

not where you ended up.

google will go down as a huge bad guy in our time. i have no answer for how to fix where we are, i'm saying the opportunity is there to build something.

i'm trying to focus on that.

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
s
well, as i understand it, youtube is starting up a "new" service to be "ad free" (bwahahahahahaha - google doesn't know the meaning of the words) and forcing all artists to agree to the new terms of service that force them to pay to be a part of the service. if they don't do it, not only will they *not* be a part of the new service, but their youtube normal videos will be removed.

Pay to play...back to the sunset strip club model I cherished in the early

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The whole music thing is messed up. Really, what a crummy set up right now for artists who aren't in the upper echelon. It's darned difficult for most singers/bands to make any money.

Here was Bette Midler's tweet about how much she "earned" from Pandora...

."@Spotify and @Pandora have made it impossible for songwriters to earn a living: three months streaming on Pandora, 4,175,149 plays=$114.11."

That's just pathetic. Should a CD be $17.99? Probably not but should each play of her music be only worth

The whole "music should be free" mindset has taken away a lot of incentive for new music/groups IMO.

The labels that have signed with Spotify and Pandora get a large share of the subscription money, just like content providers with Netflix. They figured out that people are less likely to pirate material if you give them access to said material at a reasonable price.

Spotify has paid out $500 million in royalties to rights holders so far in 2013 and $1 billion total since 2009, about 70 percent of its total revenue. These rights holders, typically music labels and publishers, then pay artists a portion of the royalties, an amount that varies depending on individual record contracts.

It is the recording label that is screwing the artist, not Spotify.