Twitter: Zach Martin Contract Details

shabazz

Reaction score
I’m sure the FO will find a a way to sign Parsons and CeeDee, but where this might manifest itself later is in the inability to resign lower echelon players like the Damone Clarks and Jake Fergusons of the world……if I’m wrong than it means the salary cap means nothing

coult44

Reaction score
What a clown show this front office is....
You know Parson's and Lamb's agents are just waiting to take advantage of Jerry.
There is blood in the water and the sharks are circling...
28 years of no NFCCG for a reason folks!
Clown show? Say what you want. But they have done a good job at getting the deals done that they need done. They seem to compromise and get good team deals done on almost every guy.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'd be happy with $36M guaranteed the next 2 years.

Martin deserves it. We all know how important he is to the OL.
OK. They did guarantee his base salaries for the next two years. Martin told Mickey Spagnola, "The guarantees sealed the deal. Didn't want to have to go through this again next year."

That means if they want to extend his deal, and move that money, which I assume they will rather than paying him $28 million, they will have to make Martin an offer he can't refuse. No leverage.

This year, the guarantees don't matter because Dallas essentially got a good deal in that not much was added to the contract. Next year will take some work if they want to make it palatable.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What a clown show this front office is....
You know Parson's and Lamb's agents are just waiting to take advantage of Jerry.
There is blood in the water and the sharks are circling...
28 years of no NFCCG for a reason folks!

Sorry John, but I have to disagree with the idea that this move is what makes the FO a clown show. I think, firstly, that Parsons and Lamb's deals will get done smoothly regardless of this deal. Secondly, this deal was needed. We need the oline happy and sorted out if we want the rest of the offense to succeed. Martin is the best on the oline. So, naturally, he deserves this deal.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’m sure the FO will find a a way to sign Parsons and CeeDee, but where this might manifest itself later is in the inability to resign lower echelon players like the Damone Clarks and Jake Fergusons of the world……if I’m wrong than it means the salary cap means nothing

I think trading Clark and Ferguson, if that's where they want to go with their deals, would be smart. There's a big difference between them and Martin.

shabazz

Reaction score
I think trading Clark and Ferguson, if that's where they want to go with their deals, would be smart. There's a big difference between them and Martin.
The talent level is different for sure but it’s the ability to keep good young talent like these guys for the future

If we are looking at a 2 year window and then blow everything up, than I wouldn’t mind redoing Martins contract, but the fact that we are among the youngest teams leads me to think that’s not the FOs philosophy

Rustoleum, I’m thrilled that Martin is back but I was just concerned about mortgaging the future because I like what I’m seeing with the youth movement here

I can see both sides of people reactions to this, though

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
Imagine that the fine was paid for, getting paid to stay home, bet he wishes the hold out was a bit longer xD

Scotman

Reaction score
I didn't think that the Cowboys should have paid Zeke. RB's just don't last and he already looked to be slowing down. But Zach Martin? He could have several really good years left. I think it was a reasonable holdout on his part and I think it was a reasonable pay raise on the Cowboys' part.

As far as honoring his current contract, I'd agree with that if his former contract was all guaranteed. If they had given him a contract that was totally guaranteed, then holding out was selfish. But, we've seen player after player not get all of their contract. I would think the most important part in all of this was getting the money up front. That's his now to invest and save.

The only issue in this whole affair is Jerry talking to the media about it.

John813

Reaction score
Yeah Im surprised they didnt add another year to the contract.

Same. Should of at least had a few "real" years to it. I mean, they could restructure right away next year to lower the cap hit in March, but that dead cap in 2025 will be a beaut if they can't extend him prior to that. And this time he holds all the cards and is the dealer.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
It’s been explained well here before, but I don’t really understand the salary cap.

How is the signing bonus figured into the yearly cap vs the salary? The bonus can be spread out over a number of years? If so does that mean the annual salary and how it affects the cap changes as that bonus is added in each year?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Sorry John, but I have to disagree with the idea that this move is what makes the FO a clown show. I think, firstly, that Parsons and Lamb's deals will get done smoothly regardless of this deal. Secondly, this deal was needed. We need the oline happy and sorted out if we want the rest of the offense to succeed. Martin is the best on the oline. So, naturally, he deserves this deal.
Rusty we are buddies, so we can agree to disagree on this.
You can't give in to every veteran that feels they are underpayed.
If we had no salary cap, that would be one thing, but we only have so much money to spend.
I guess time will tell if this was a bad or good move, but this front office does not get my benefit of the doubt.
They have screwed up too many times on the contract side of thing with veterans.

Jarntt

Reaction score

I think this looks like what I said in the other thread they may do. A bonus this year and a $5M base salary increase Next year which will eventually be converted to a bonus a year from now. Looks like a good deal for all. You don't screw around with first ballot HOFers who are team leaders and model citizens.

Going by Archer's numbers, It looks like they further reduced his base this year from $1.7M to $1.25M and added a dummy year to allocate the bonus over:

Original 2023 cap hit: $11,040,000 - not original, but before his holdout and subsequent restructure
Salary reduction: <450,000> - from 1.70M to 1.25M
Signing bonus: 1,160,000 - $5.8M/5 years
Revised 2023 cap hit: $11,750,000

Only in the NFL can you give a guy $10.8M and only have it cost you $710K against your cap