Zack Baun at 17?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Yeah, 3-4.

My point is that I don't think he'll be there because he's more valuable to other teams than he is to us. As it turns out, that was true of TJ too.

If he falls past where "he should", like Watt, then sure, take him. Though there does seem to be a wide range of where people think he should fall to.

I guess if just disagree he’d be more valuable else where. I think he can be very valuable for us.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I guess if just disagree he’d be more valuable else where. I think he can be very valuable for us.

Maybe very valuable to us as a pass rushing DE. Even more valuable to a team that would "also" make use of his coverage skills.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I don't think Baum really fits here as a DE. 6'2 238 is almost 15 pounds lighter than TJ Watt and isn't big enough to play on the edge unless he seriously bulks up. Mockdraftable had him in the first percentile for weight among edge rushers.

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/zack-baun?position=EDGE

The quickness is awesome, the burst is OK, but that size is a major question mark if you're evaluating him as a pass rusher. The guys who succeed in that 240-250 pound range tend to be exceptional athletes - Danielle Hunter, Von Miller, TJ Watt, etc - and I think Baum is more of a good athlete than a great one.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't think Baum really fits here as a DE. 6'2 238 is almost 15 pounds lighter than TJ Watt and isn't big enough to play on the edge unless he seriously bulks up. Mockdraftable had him in the first percentile for weight among edge rushers.

The quickness is awesome, the burst is OK, but that size is a major question mark if you're evaluating him as a pass rusher. The guys who succeed in that 240-250 pound range tend to be exceptional athletes - Danielle Hunter, Von Miller, TJ Watt, etc - and I think Baum is more of a good athlete than a great one.

NFL.com has one comment that really stands out "Currently wins with athletic ability over skill level as pass rusher"

He's too small, too weak as well, is he draftable? Sure, but not at 17, even if he's available there the Cowboys would be making a big mistake taking him there...

cnuball21

Reaction score

If you draft him as a DE only I think you’re using him wrong.

I’d play him as a SAM LB in base sets and pass rusher in nickel/dime sets.