Zack Baun at 17?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think he's a good player I just don't know what kind of fit here.

I like when he is going after the QB. He can fly around the edge at time.

He reminds me of a poor mans Sean Merriman with better drop back skills.

cnuball21

Reaction score

We would just have to have a good plan for him.

I’d imagine he’d just bounce around from SAM LB to rushing the passer on passing downs.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

Catch, I think we all need to reevaluate that word “fit” in these parts. We’ve all been brainwashed into what is a fit in a Marinelli defense.....I don’t think ANY OF US know what the bleep fits in a Nolan defense. I have this strange feeling that, if he really wants to run a hybrid 4-3/3-4, that Chaisson and Baun may be right at the top of his wish list.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Catch, I think we all need to reevaluate that word “fit” in these parts. We’ve all been brainwashed into what is a fit in a Marinelli defense.....I don’t think ANY OF US know what the bleep fits in a Nolan defense. I have this strange feeling that, if he really wants to run a hybrid 4-3/3-4, that Chaisson and Baun may be right at the top of his wish list.

That’s a good point...with Marinelli we kind of had a feel for the types of players he wanted. Interested to see how the new regime effects how we draft.

I know McCarthy took quite a few DBs early back with GB.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Zack Baun is basically Kyle Wilbur in the NFL.

Not touching him.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Wilbur ran a 4.86 at the combine and wasn’t close to Bauns production. That’s an interesting comp.
Just in terms of what they do. Tweener SAM and DE. Baun's a better athlete probably, but having only 1 year of production - as a red-shirt senior, nonetheless - is pretty problematic.

These guys who are only productive when they're 22-23 in college get that b/c they're just so much more physically mature than their opponents. Baun had 4 full years of training/practice before he was ever an impact player. He's no longer going to have that advantage in the NFL.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Just in terms of what they do. Tweener SAM and DE. Baun's a better athlete probably, but having only 1 year of production - as a red-shirt senior, nonetheless - is pretty problematic.

These guys who are only productive when they're 22-23 in college get that b/c they're just so much more physically mature than their opponents. Baun had 4 full years of training/practice before he was ever an impact player. He's no longer going to have that advantage in the NFL.

I get the position comparison but I don’t think Wilber was on the same planet as Baun as an athlete coming out. That will allow Baun to do some much more and not have to come off the field.

I agree on the age, I like my prospects younger as well but disagree in the context in how you’re using it. It’s not like he’s a small school prospect beating on younger kids or just winning with power he’s winning with athleticism, instincts and a few pretty good pass rush moves.

if he tests as well as I think he will I think his skills will translate well. If he tests like Wilber I’m dead wrong and case closed.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Baun with a 1.59 10 yard split...better than Von Miller and Robert Quinn.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Here's an unconventional name no-one is talking about. Bit of a tweener but Simmons 2.0 IMO.

- Highest graded edge defender in coverage per PFF and 100+ coverage snaps
- 91 PFF grade rushing the passer in a high quality college conference
- 52 pressures as a pass rusher
- 19+ TFLS

He's an intriguing prospect for sure. Probably not an every don DE in our scheme, but someone that could give us + coverage ability as a LB and + pass rusher in nickel/dime situations.

I'd need to see him test very well at the combine to be considered at 17 but someone to keep an eye on.

The coverage skills make him most valuable as a 3-4 OLB. I don't think we're in that business for a pick that high.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Baun has a 4th Rd draft projection.
EXACTLY WHY we shouldn't buy into the combine and the underwear Olympics as the sole barometer for where a guy should be drafted. The tape on him is solid, but not round 1 good. Its a reach at 51, but I would do it.

cnuball21

Reaction score
EXACTLY WHY we shouldn't buy into the combine and the underwear Olympics as the sole barometer for where a guy should be drafted. The tape on him is solid, but not round 1 good. Its a reach at 51, but I would do it.

My 1st round grade was well before the combine. I'm adding to my thread because his 10 yard split is better than top 15 pass rushers and I'm trying to add perspective.

Rayman70

Reaction score
My 1st round grade was well before the combine. I'm adding to my thread because his 10 yard split is better than top 15 pass rushers and I'm trying to add perspective.
nah I hear ya..but perspective is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Some team may love him at 17, but not sure that's the consensus.

cnuball21

Reaction score
nah I hear ya..but perspective is in the eye of the beholder I guess. Some team may love him at 17, but not sure that's the consensus.

That's fine. In the top 20, I want an NFL athlete with elite college production. SO far Baun is checking all the boxes.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Did you also notice the 50+ QB pressures and 19+ TFLs?

Teams needing a 4-3 OLB will notice those too. 4-3 OLB is where all his skills get used, it's where he has the most value, so it's where I expect him to end up.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Teams needing a 4-3 OLB will notice those too. 4-3 OLB is where all his skills get used, it's where he has the most value, so it's where I expect him to end up.

4-3 OLBs don't really pass rush...did you mean 3-4 OLB?

If so, I hope we're not dumb enough to make the same mistake we made with TJ Watt passing on a great player because we don't think he's a scheme fit.

McCarthy had an awesome quote about that at the combine saying if a player is solid he'll figure out how to use them effectively.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
4-3 OLBs don't really pass rush...did you mean 3-4 OLB?

If so, I hope we're not dumb enough to make the same mistake we made with TJ Watt passing on a great player because we don't think he's a scheme fit.

McCarthy had an awesome quote about that at the combine saying if a player is solid he'll figure out how to use them effectively.

Yeah, 3-4.

My point is that I don't think he'll be there because he's more valuable to other teams than he is to us. As it turns out, that was true of TJ too.

If he falls past where "he should", like Watt, then sure, take him. Though there does seem to be a wide range of where people think he should fall to.