Zack Baun

morasp

Reaction score
With the new coaching staff in place some of the old paradigms for players have gone away. The new motto seems to be get good players and we'll build the scheme around them. It makes me think they would have embraced the T. J. Watt pick a couple years ago instead of settling for Taco or Juan Thornhill instead of Trysten Hill. With two experienced coaches giving attention to the linebackers, Zack Baun is the type of player we might look at in the second if Kinlaw fell to us in the first. He looks like the type of instinctive high effort playmaker the new coaches might be able to utilize.

RANK 44

Zack-Baun-1.jpg

Zack Baun, LB

School: Wisconsin | Year: Senior (RS)
Baun is a slightly undersized outside linebacker with excellent athleticism and versatility. He spends a lot of time playing over tight ends and gets the best of them in the run and pass games. As a rusher, he has a good initial burst and can really bend at the top of his rush. He has a nifty inside counter move and he can get skinny before closing on the quarterback. He mixes in a stutter/bull rush, but usually stalls out after generating some push. He is very athletic as a dropper in coverage. He is very good as a back-side run defender because of his burst and effort. Teams will differ on where to play him at the next level. He reminds me of former USC LB Uchenna Nwosu, someone whose versatility the Chargers have tapped into. I'd do the same with Baun.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hs-top-50-2020-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-10

Last edited:

John813

Reaction score
So, as of now, roughly a day 2/round 2 type of guy?

morasp

Reaction score
So, as of now, roughly a day 2/round 2 type of guy?
It's way too early I know, they haven't even had the combine yet, but in my mock drafts he's been available most of the with our second round pick.

bodi

Reaction score
It's way too early I know, they haven't even had the combine yet, but in my mock drafts he's been available most of the with our second round pick.

bot i would be all over him as day two guy

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I think he's basically just Kyle Wilber in the NFL. Might be able to do a little bit more as a LBer, but I seriously doubt he's an impact player on the edge.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Looks 3rd round ish, but his pass rush is good...especially with his hands. Needs more strength is one initial critique. I like this dude tho.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Looks 3rd round ish, but his pass rush is good...especially with his hands. Needs more strength is one initial critique. I like this dude tho.

if I felt confident he could give us snaps as an off ball LBr and be a nickel/dime rusher I’d take him.

One of those talents where you just draft him and figure it out.