Zack Martin might be the reason we have no running game

MyFairLady

Reaction score
One year ago one of the highest paid guards in football holds out so that he can be the highest paid guard in football. One year later people are saying this will be his last year in Dallas. If you want to know why we can never seem to get over the hump look no further than situations like this. Salary cap money is not treated with the respect it deserves. Veteran players on the decline are treated with too much respect.

You want to know why we have no run game? Dude might very well be the biggest reason why. Tubby better get it in gear and start pancaking people.

The sickest part of it all is that this is his last year under contract but he already counts for 11 million against next years cap and 17 million against the year after that.

That is a modern day future Cowboy hall of famer for ya. A burden for years to come.

Bagman

Reaction score
One year ago one of the highest paid guards in football holds out so that he can be the highest paid guard in football. One year later people are saying this will be his last year in Dallas. If you want to know why we can never seem to get over the hump look no further than situations like this. Salary cap money is not treated with the respect it deserves. Veteran players on the decline are treated with too much respect.

You want to know why we have no run game? Dude might very well be the biggest reason why. Tubby better get it in gear and start pancaking people.

The sickest part of it all is that this is his last year under contract but he already counts for 11 million against next years cap and 17 million against the year after that.

That is a modern day future Cowboy hall of famer for ya. A burden for years to come.
His pass blocking is still HOF quality but he doesn't get any movement in the run game anymore. Unfortunately, In the Land of Jerry, he's been anointed a football god so he can't be blamed for anything. I don't wanna hear how he's the best so and so on our line. I have my own eyes and they see a declining run blocker. It's apparently against the rules to complain about certain players

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I did not watch tape but i could imagine that having a new Center at his side makes a factor. Also not having any playtime together during the PS.

I can remember he had some problems too when we lost Fredbeard and had to change Centers.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, we are only talking two games into the season and perhaps age/injuries have caught up with him a bit. But as a future 1st ballot HOFer and dependable anchor of our OLine for almost a decade, he deserves a little more respect OP. Just saying........

McMicah

Reaction score
I’m willing to give him a shot to get back into game shape, but he has been in decline since 2 years ago.

It’s fascinating how fans and even coaches let bias control their view of a player, and of course Jerry let’s $ control playing time.

If I were Mike McCarthy, I’d roll out Josh Ball at RG for a few games and TJ Bass for a few games. TJ is slightly better at pass blocking and has good finesse blocking in the run game, while Josh has really good power blocking, and just needs a little cleanup in pass pro technique. Ultimately I think Ball has a higher ceiling with his natural play strength and athleticism as a converted tackle. Neither guy is better than prime Martin, but they are nipping at Martins heels this year

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
Well, we are only talking two games into the season and perhaps age/injuries have caught up with him a bit. But as a future 1st ballot HOFer and dependable anchor of our OLine for almost a decade, he deserves a little more respect OP. Just saying........

:flagwave: Fact/respect:bow:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
One year ago one of the highest paid guards in football holds out so that he can be the highest paid guard in football.
Any competent staff & front office would have seen he was already declining and refused appeasement that would financially hamper them for years.

If dealing with most other organizations, the player & agent would have been reluctant to even broach the subject for fear of being called out. Instead, it's rob Jerry and the fans time.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

I believe the game has passed him by and he's just here to earn a paycheck. The reason New England was so great all those years is Billy Boy would cut players just before they started to lose a step or two. That can't be said about the Cowboys the way JJ keeps extending their contracts to help the Cap situation, but it only hurts the Cowboys in the long run with the dead money that will hit against the cap when a player like Martin is no longer on the roster.