Zack Martin might be the reason we have no running game

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith he is not
Dont have to Carpenter him at this stage
Of course not & I have always said his play in the early years was HOF worthy. But like others have commented, the failure of fans & the team to acknowledge a decline in play when it comes to a cowboys player was my bigger frustration. If you could have secretively put him on another team, folks would have questioned his play years ago. But as long as he was wearing this jersey, folks just assumed he was still playing all world and would argue incessantly rather than just look at what was in high definition.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One year ago one of the highest paid guards in football holds out so that he can be the highest paid guard in football. One year later people are saying this will be his last year in Dallas. If you want to know why we can never seem to get over the hump look no further than situations like this. Salary cap money is not treated with the respect it deserves. Veteran players on the decline are treated with too much respect.

You want to know why we have no run game? Dude might very well be the biggest reason why. Tubby better get it in gear and start pancaking people.

The sickest part of it all is that this is his last year under contract but he already counts for 11 million against next years cap and 17 million against the year after that.

That is a modern day future Cowboy hall of famer for ya. A burden for years to come.
So what's the reason is it just money or because he's an older player I'm so confused

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
His pass blocking is still HOF quality but he doesn't get any movement in the run game anymore. Unfortunately, In the Land of Jerry, he's been anointed a football god so he can't be blamed for anything. I don't wanna hear how he's the best so and so on our line. I have my own eyes and they see a declining run blocker. It's apparently against the rules to complain about certain players
Post of the afternoon

exciter

Reaction score
One year ago one of the highest paid guards in football holds out so that he can be the highest paid guard in football. One year later people are saying this will be his last year in Dallas. If you want to know why we can never seem to get over the hump look no further than situations like this. Salary cap money is not treated with the respect it deserves. Veteran players on the decline are treated with too much respect.

You want to know why we have no run game? Dude might very well be the biggest reason why. Tubby better get it in gear and start pancaking people.

The sickest part of it all is that this is his last year under contract but he already counts for 11 million against next years cap and 17 million against the year after that.

That is a modern day future Cowboy hall of famer for ya. A burden for years to come.
Lol,
Is this inside zone/man run blocking scheme the best fit for Martin’s skillset….
No!
Neither is he some sort of weak link!

McMicah

Reaction score
Did you back me up when I started saying that a few years back? Seemed like I was on an island of my own.
I’m sure I would have if I replied. Can’t remember. People hold on to player reputation far longer than they should. Father Time is undefeated

MyFairLady

Reaction score
So what's the reason is it just money or because he's an older player I'm so confused
Like FVSTONE said up above he is here for the pay check and that is all. In todays NFL if you are going to have a 20 million dollar guard he needs to be a stud both on and off the field. Don't blame some O line coach making peanuts. If Martin isn't the hardest working guy on and off the field it will fail. If Martin isn't holding everyone else on the O line to the highest standard it will fail.

Like it or not he is the CEO of the O line. If the run game isn't working who else is most responsible if not Martin?

Dude can sign a 2 year 10 million dollar deal and do whatever he wants. He wanted to be the head cheese. Well then tubby get the job done.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Some fans were pumping up our two rookies on the OL claiming they would provide a great running game for us. Our run blocking is still an issue and we don’t have a high quality back.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I’m sure I would have if I replied. Can’t remember. People hold on to player reputation far longer than they should. Father Time is undefeated
Amen brother. Even moreso when the player is low key and doesn't give folks "other" reasons to dislike them.

I never held his declining play against him because I don't know enough about what he did or didn't do to prevent it and like you said Time spares no one. I did not like that he held out when he was already being paid as a top 5 G when I could see he was declining quickly.

gtb1943

Reaction score

Amazing how a surefire HOF gets so much hate from the internet experts
by the way the poster has claimed I believe that Martin has been on the decline for at least three years now

Streifenkarl

Reaction score

Martin has been one of my favorite players and even though you're too one sided in your argument I will say there is some truth to it. He might be finished.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It wasn’t about Jerry either but Im seeming posts in this thread…..
They don’t have a rule saying you can’t mention Jerry in other topics. They posted a sticky several months ago saying they don’t want fans mentioning Dak in non-Dak threads. They started benching fans for doing it. They’re obviously giving fans leeway on it because it’s hard to stop it. Not sure why you would be blaming Dak for our lack of a running game.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Martin has retired before he said he's thinking about doing it. Collecting a check while dreaming about the retirement beach....