News: Zack Martin set to cash in this summer after free agency payday

CCBoy

Reaction score
Martin set to cash in this summer after free agency payday
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...-cash-in-this-summer-after-free-agency-payday

...The Cleveland Browns signed guard Kevin Zeitler to a five-year, $60 million deal that includes $31.5 million in guarantees. Zeitler became the NFL’s highest-paid guard.

He could have that designation for a few months because Martin almost certainly will supersede that, and deservedly so.

Martin is perhaps the Cowboys’ best decision in a decade. Go back to the 2014 draft when Jerry Jones was all hot and bothered for Johnny Manziel. He raised the question of selecting Manziel in the first round the morning of the draft and raised it again as the Heisman Trophy winner kept sliding in the draft...

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Give the man his money.
Would be monumentally stupid to do so. If they just want to throw cash around for no reason, should have used some to buy Houston's 2nd round pick like Cleveland did.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
We know he's going to be here, every year the cap goes up and salaries go up accordingly.
He's going to be here whether they extend him this summer or not. The cap and salaries won't go up a fraction of what the extra $$$ to sign Martin will cost over his current salary.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
It's amazing how much one decision can affect a franchise. What if we would've drafted Manziel instead of Zack Martin?

Imagine how different things might be.

Crazy.

So glad we have Zack.

Scary thought, but I don't think we were particularly close to drafting the clown

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think we may just have to let Martin Walk.

The Dallas OL was good enough without him to compete. Obviously they weren't "great", but they were still a top 10 unit.

I love Martin, but it might make more sense to start fielding trade offers for DL help.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
on what planet, and how would you justify that?

I'd justify it as better allocation of resources.

We already know where having the unequivocal best offensive line in the league gets us: the divisional round.

And ever since we let Ware walk, we've seen exactly how difficult it is to find an impact player at DE.

One way to jumpstart that is by giving up something of value in exchange for something of value.

Hell, the Cardinals traded Jonathan Cooper and a pick for Chandler Jones. Imagine what Martin could possibly net.

And it's not like we can't get by without Martin.

We have already invested heavily in two cornerstones of the offensive line; Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick.

And while Martin is a phenomenal player, his position isn't as important as those two.

Sometimes you have to just let players go instead of just holding on to something that isn't working.

Verdict

Reaction score
Martin is the best guard on the roster by a long shot but we could have also paid Leary, kept Collins and traded Martin for an assload of picks if we had wanted to go that route and saved a lot of salary cap space. We will have a better line with Martin most likely.

rynochop

Reaction score
Scary thought, but I don't think we were particularly close to drafting the clown
I don't either, I.ll never believe he was a serious option. Jerry was just being Jerry saying he wanted to draft him after the fact. Jerrys never going to be negative about a player and say, oh hell no we never wanted that midget at QB

dwreck27

Reaction score
I think we may just have to let Martin Walk.

The Dallas OL was good enough without him to compete. Obviously they weren't "great", but they were still a top 10 unit.

I love Martin, but it might make more sense to start fielding trade offers for DL help.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

Well damn

BlueStar22

Reaction score
There was another guy who signed for a price right under Zeitler. I think that's where Martin will be. Don't have to be the highest paid.