News: Zack Martin set to cash in this summer after free agency payday

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I think we may just have to let Martin Walk.

The Dallas OL was good enough without him to compete. Obviously they weren't "great", but they were still a top 10 unit.

I love Martin, but it might make more sense to start fielding trade offers for DL help.
Delete your account...

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
I'd justify it as better allocation of resources.

We already know where having the unequivocal best offensive line in the league gets us: the divisional round.

And ever since we let Ware walk, we've seen exactly how difficult it is to find an impact player at DE.

One way to jumpstart that is by giving up something of value in exchange for something of value.

Hell, the Cardinals traded Jonathan Cooper and a pick for Chandler Jones. Imagine what Martin could possibly net.

And it's not like we can't get by without Martin.

We have already invested heavily in two cornerstones of the offensive line; Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick.

And while Martin is a phenomenal player, his position isn't as important as those two.

Sometimes you have to just let players go instead of just holding on to something that isn't working.
I would sign Martin, but there is some merit in what you say. For all of the accolades this team has gotten for assembling this line and going back to the good old days of running the ball (and counter to league trends), you would think they had won 3 Super Bowls. Instead they've won 0 Super Bowls, and they keep getting knocked out by a super-QB with no running game.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I would sign Martin, but there is some merit in what you say. For all of the accolades this team has gotten for assembling this line and going back to the good old days of running the ball (and counter to league trends), you would think they had won 3 Super Bowls. Instead they've won 0 Super Bowls, and they keep getting knocked out by a super-QB with no running game.

Yeah ultimately I would like to keep Martin too. But the more we spend on OL, the more other areas of the team may suffer.

I love the identity of the offense, but we really need to give Dak what Tony never had. An elite defense.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
I'll bet any one of you fools $1.25 that Martin re-ups with him.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
If you know now that you are going to want something in two years why pay the two year from now price(which equates to millions of dollars more) if you can get it at today's price. The FO needs to lock him up as a Cowboy ASAP.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
I love our Oline. It's a major strength of the team, I just hate paying top dollar for three of them. I don't understand how New England (7th in the run this year) is able to assemble a decent line for pennies. Maybe it's the system + Tom Brady

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeah ultimately I would like to keep Martin too. But the more we spend on OL, the more other areas of the team may suffer.

I love the identity of the offense, but we really need to give Dak what Tony never had. An elite defense.

Martin is one of the very best players and this says one is afraid to pay him like that?

TheHerd

Reaction score
I love our Oline. It's a major strength of the team, I just hate paying top dollar for three of them. I don't understand how New England (7th in the run this year) is able to assemble a decent line for pennies. Maybe it's the system + Tom Brady

New England understands the basic truth that it's easier to run into 6 and 7 man fronts so they split the receivers out and rather than bring them in and clog the middle and force the WR to block, they leave the field spread out and get a "free" block by keeping the defender away from the play.

Oh, and Brady.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
New England understands the basic truth that it's easier to run into 6 and 7 man fronts so they split the receivers out and rather than bring them in and clog the middle and force the WR to block, they leave the field spread out and get a "free" block by keeping the defender away from the play.

Oh, and Brady.
Thanks for the insight brother. Makes sense!

TheHerd

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight brother. Makes sense!
I'm trapped in the Northeast until retirement and I have to watch far too many Patriot games.

It's been torture these past 15 years watching a well oiled machine in my backyard contrasted with the train wreck, albeit widely profitable train wreck, of Jerry.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'd justify it as better allocation of resources.

We already know where having the unequivocal best offensive line in the league gets us: the divisional round.

And ever since we let Ware walk, we've seen exactly how difficult it is to find an impact player at DE.

One way to jumpstart that is by giving up something of value in exchange for something of value.

Hell, the Cardinals traded Jonathan Cooper and a pick for Chandler Jones. Imagine what Martin could possibly net.

And it's not like we can't get by without Martin.

We have already invested heavily in two cornerstones of the offensive line; Tyron Smith and Travis Frederick.

And while Martin is a phenomenal player, his position isn't as important as those two.

Sometimes you have to just let players go instead of just holding on to something that isn't working.
Wow, just wow. The line was serviceable without Martin the year before. Martin took them to a new level. To say that we will be fine without him means you either dont watch the games, or dont realize what Martin actually does for this line. You are trying to tell me that you think our line will be the same losing Leary, Free and Martin? OL is all about continuity and chemistry.

fishspill

Reaction score
If you know now that you are going to want something in two years why pay the two year from now price(which equates to millions of dollars more) if you can get it at today's price. The FO needs to lock him up as a Cowboy ASAP.
Do a long term and take as much of the hit this coming season as you can.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
I think it's important to ask yourself, WWPD. What would the Patriots do.

Then you'll be reassured we'll probably do the exact opposite.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Wow, just wow. The line was serviceable without Martin the year before. Martin took them to a new level. To say that we will be fine without him means you either dont watch the games, or dont realize what Martin actually does for this line. You are trying to tell me that you think our line will be the same losing Leary, Free and Martin? OL is all about continuity and chemistry.

I posted this before Free’s retirement was announced, but I’ll still entertain the debate.

I never claimed that the OL would be the same. This idea was about value.

My whole argument was that having the consensus, unequivocal best OL in the league over the last three years hasn’t gotten us past the divisional round and the unit is only getting more ‘expensive’.

Martin is likely the best guard in the league. But it’s not like his addition in 2014 catapulted us from the dregs of the NFL into being the best in the league.

Dallas was definitely a top 10, possibly even top 5 OL toward the end of 2013.

And honestly that’s good enough to win a super bowl.

For the record, I’d like to keep Martin; especially now that Free is retiring. Too much change for one year. But next year, on the last year of his rookie deal? I don’t know. I may want to see what offers the Cowboys could get. Just depends on the situation.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I posted this before Free’s retirement was announced, but I’ll still entertain the debate.

My whole argument was that having the consensus, unequivocal best OL in the league over the last three years hasn’t gotten us past the divisional round and the unit is only getting more ‘expensive’.

Martin is likely the best guard in the league. But it’s not like his addition in 2014 catapulted us from the dregs of the NFL into being the best in the league.

For the record, I’d like to keep Martin; especially now that Free is retiring. Too much change for one year. But next year, on the last year of his rookie deal? I don’t know. I may want to see what offers the Cowboys could get. Just depends on the situation.

You don't lose your own All-Pros.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Right, so Murray just beat the Cowboys franchise for rushing the year Martin was drafted. Must be coincidence.