News: Zack Martin set to cash in this summer after free agency payday

khiladi

Reaction score
It's amazing how much the myth is perpetuated that Jerry was going to drafty Manziel, when Dallas had 3 defensive players slotted before Martin for first pick and ended up with Martin, meaning they followed their plan and were never going to draft Manziel...

davey999

Reaction score
Not a myth. Ne needed to be talked out of it by McClay and Stephen. I took a tour of Valley Ranch 2 years ago and McClay admitted it.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeah ultimately I would like to keep Martin too. But the more we spend on OL, the more other areas of the team may suffer.

I love the identity of the offense, but we really need to give Dak what Tony never had. An elite defense.

Tony never had an elite offense nor an elite OL, until basically his last year when he was arguably the MVP and was robbed in Lambeau...

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Right, so Murray just beat the Cowboys franchise for rushing the year Martin was drafted. Must be coincidence.

It’s not a coincidence. But the mistake is assuming the jump between 2013 and 2014 is more massive than it is, and assuming that Martin is solely responsible.

Again, I’m not going to argue that Martin doesn’t make the OL better. He absolutely does.

But DeMarco Murray averaged a half yard more per carry in 2013 than in 2014. And for the record, the Cowboys only jumped from 4th to 1st in OL adj yards. (going from 4.23 to 4.40).

The jump in production from Murray is more in part due to the massive shift in offensive philosophy from 2013 and 2014, and his ability to stay healthy.

Martin deserves credit. But not all of it.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
You don't lose your own All-Pros.

You don’t lose them for nothing in return is the point I’m getting at.

Ideally you keep Martin and improve on the defensive side of the ball. But the feasibility and execution of that is the concern.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
Tony never had an elite offense nor an elite OL, until basically his last year when he was arguably the MVP and was robbed in Lambeau...

I mean that’s a good point too, but I think most would agree that good defense is more vital to surviving the gauntlet of the playoffs more so than an elite OL.