Zay Flowers is the Real Deal

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If you ask me, this is exactly what we need. A guy who can play the outside or slot, and open up the middle of the field, stretching the defense.

Guy gets great separation, too.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I like the player a lot, but there is zero chance the Cowboys take him. Their prototype has always been over 6 feet and 200 LBS, until they change that, I'm not a believer. Players like Addison/Hyatt probably have the best chance as they are 6 feet, but 5'9, no way.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I like the player a lot, but there is zero chance the Cowboys take him. Their prototype has always been over 6 feet and 200 LBS, until they change that, I'm not a believer. Players like Addison/Hyatt probably have the best chance as they are 6 feet, but 5'9, no way.
Not sure. Maybe McClay can talk some sense into them. This guy is like a Cole Beasley on steroids.

Reminds me of players they've regrettably let go in the past.

Flowers instantly upgrades your offensive firepower.

Like a Terry Glenn.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not sure. Maybe McClay can talk some sense into them. This guy is like a Cole Beasley on steroids.

Reminds me of players they've regrettably let go in the past.

Flowers instantly upgrades your offensive firepower.

Like a Terry Glenn.
I agree, a player who can get quick separation is what the doctor ordered for this receiving group, but look at the receivers we have brought in over the years, they all fit that specific prototype, 6'1 and over 200 lbs. Now possibly changing schemes to the wco, will they change what they look for, will MM push for the so called smaller receiver?

The other issue is, Lamb is pretty much their slot receiver and does most of his damage in the middle of the field. Can a smaller receiver hold up on the outside? What I see in this year's class, is a bunch of slot only types of receivers, but we need outside receivers.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I agree, a player who can get quick separation is what the doctor ordered for this receiving group, but look at the receivers we have brought in over the years, they all fit that specific prototype, 6'1 and over 200 lbs. Now possibly changing schemes to the wco, will they change what they look for, will MM push for the so called smaller receiver?

The other issue is, Lamb is pretty much their slot receiver and does most of his damage in the middle of the field. Can a smaller receiver hold up on the outside? What I see in this year's class, is a bunch of slot only types of receivers, but we need outside receivers.

You can pretty much play musical chairs with this guy. Both players would help the other one. I have a feeling Flowers will be a top 10 WR.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You can pretty much play musical chairs with this guy. Both players would help the other one. I have a feeling Flowers will be a top 10 WR.
But have we seen that type of player with the Cowboys since Will McClay has been running the draft? The one thing that might get Flowers are their radar is his length, despite his size, he has good length. That is what McClay always looks for in his receivers and his corners.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
But have we seen that type of player with the Cowboys since Will McClay has been running the draft? The one thing that might get Flowers are their radar is his length, despite his size, he has good length. That is what McClay always looks for in his receivers and his corners.
You're right. This guy is different, though. McClay has to see that. That's all I'm saying. You can have rules, but then there are exceptions to the rule. If we got Flowers off-the-bat, we can then worry about other positions. If you wait too long in this draft to draft a WR, then you'll likely need two in order to be sure you've got enough firepower.

Love this guys smooth stride.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
By the way, NY, speaking of prototypical Dallas players, how about Jadon Haselwood from Jerral's alma mater?

6-3, 215, 4.48 speed.

Plays kinda slow, if you ask me. But maybe I'm missing some context. Reminds me of a bigger JuJu-Smith type. You could add 10 lbs and flex him at TE.

Last edited:

reddyuta

Reaction score
They liked Olave last year but Flowers is even smaller,not sure they will pick him at 26.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
You're right. This guy is different, though. McClay has to see that. That's all I'm saying. You can have rules, but then there are exceptions to the rule. If we got Flowers off-the-bat, we can then worry about other positions. If you wait too long in this draft to draft a WR, then you'll likely need two in order to be sure you've got enough firepower.

Love this guys smooth stride.
Is their prototype more about length or length/height/weight? We can ask the same question about the corner position. I agree with what you are saying about Flowers, but still have my doubts they will draft such a player, especially high in the draft. In my opinion, based on what we saw late last year, they are going to find a veteran to fill the #2 wideout need and most likely add depth in the draft to protect against our other prospects not contributing. OBJ is probably the favorite, but don't rule out a trade for Bradin Cooks, either.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
By the way, NY, speaking of prototypical Dallas players, how about Jadon Haselwood from Jerral's alma mater?

6-3, 215, 4.48 speed.

Plays kinda slow, if you ask me. But maybe I'm missing some context. Reminds me of a bigger JuJu-Smith type. You could add 10 lbs and flex him at TE.

That's more of their type of receiver. Look at Lamb/Gallup-both are 6'1 and above, close to 200 lbs.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The way I see it, Zay Flowers allows you to use the length and size of your other receivers because you have to account for him.

You couldn't double Lamb as much. Plus, they've seen what guys like Cole Beasley can do. So it's not like they're completely unfamiliar with this type of WR.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The guy from Princeton, who fits our prototype, could also be a nice late round pick.

Andrei Losivas . . . has 4.2 speed.

And, of course, Jonathan Mingo.

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If you ask me, this is exactly what we need. A guy who can play the outside or slot, and open up the middle of the field, stretching the defense.

After thinking some more about it, the team did sign Hilton as a fa and he doesn't fit their so called prototype for the position being 5'9 and 180 lbs. I need to add some of these prospects as legitimate targets for the Cowboys. Got to study them more as I neglected the position based on what they always draft.

WhizKid

Reaction score

6-3, 215, 4.48 speed.

I like Elijah Higgins as a WR-TE convert.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
After thinking some more about it, the team did sign Hilton as a fa and he doesn't fit their so called prototype for the position being 5'9 and 180 lbs. I need to add some of these prospects as legitimate targets for the Cowboys. Got to study them more as I neglected the position based on what they always draft.
Good point.

I like Jalen Moreno Cropper. Looks young and could mature into a nice player.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I'm really tired of the whole, a guy needs to be this tall, or this heavy, or this blah, blah. If a guy can play, he can play.
Waddle is tiny, Devonte Smith is toothpick - who cares??? Are we really going to pass on them?

IF we improve the run game, mostly by getting younger and improving RG, Flowers would be the perfect complement to Cee Dee, the run game, our TEs, etc.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Gotta be able to pass block and run the ball before you can worry about WR's.

Down on the list for me.