Zay Flowers is the Real Deal

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Terrible if you need a #1. I actually like it if you need a high end 2 or slot.
My question is, more about the 1st round, if you draft one, aren't they suppose to be a future #1 receiver? I do not see any that fit that profile. Now we are picking at 26 and most likely taking a 2nd rd graded player. I like Addision, Hyatt, Flowers, but they are all #2 type of receivers.

cnuball21

Reaction score
My question is, more about the 1st round, if you draft one, aren't they suppose to be a future #1 receiver? I do not see any that fit that profile. Now we are picking at 26 and most likely taking a 2nd rd graded player. I like Addision, Hyatt, Flowers, but they are all #2 type of receivers.
Ideally yes, but since the game has change so much not anymore.

If I needed a 1 I probably wouldn’t force it as I don’t think a top 20 WR in this class.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Ideally yes, but since the game has change so much not anymore.

If I needed a 1 I probably wouldn’t force it as I don’t think a top 20 WR in this class.
Let's see how they address the need prior to the draft, if they just add another Washington type, drafting a high receiver becomes the #1 priority.

Rayman70

Reaction score
the smurf type of receivers are the cream of the crop in this draft class, easily. Tank Dell, Flowers, the Cincy Kid, Parker Washington and a few more. Heck Hyatt is very slight as well. Smaller than Devonte Smith but talented. Truthfully, I would resign TY, draft one of these Smurf wr's, and see how feasible it is to get Cooks from the Texans.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I like the player a lot, but there is zero chance the Cowboys take him. Their prototype has always been over 6 feet and 200 LBS, until they change that, I'm not a believer. Players like Addison/Hyatt probably have the best chance as they are 6 feet, but 5'9, no way.
Terry glenn, rocket, Beasley:muttley:

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Most are right that he does not fit what the cowboys normally look for in a wr.

HOWEVER, sometimes there are exceptions to the rule
If they believe he is a good player that could help this offense they would consider taking him even if he does not fit the general size mold they like.

I think if they took a WR at that spot it would probably be the Speedy WR from Tenn. Hyatt. I think he fits the size they like and he would be a deep threat due to his speed.

rambo2

Reaction score
I like the player a lot, but there is zero chance the Cowboys take him. Their prototype has always been over 6 feet and 200 LBS, until they change that, I'm not a believer. Players like Addison/Hyatt probably have the best chance as they are 6 feet, but 5'9, no way.
I remember when they had a guy named Cole Beasley. I don't think he was over 5'9. Flowers could very well be the top receiver on their board when pick 26 comes up.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I remember when they had a guy named Cole Beasley. I don't think he was over 5'9. Flowers could very well be the top receiver on their board when pick 26 comes up.
They never drafted Beasley, just look at the active roster-Lamb, Gallup, Tolbert, Semi, all fit their prototype for the position. They could have use Turpin last yr, who is a similar sized receiver to Flowers, but they chose not to do so.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Most are right that he does not fit what the cowboys normally look for in a wr.

HOWEVER, sometimes there are exceptions to the rule
If they believe he is a good player that could help this offense they would consider taking him even if he does not fit the general size mold they like.

I think if they took a WR at that spot it would probably be the Speedy WR from Tenn. Hyatt. I think he fits the size they like and he would be a deep threat due to his speed.
They just have to change their thinking and being stubborn if they want to become great at building a championship caliber roster.

Every WR and DB doesn’t need to be 6’2.

I’d be ecstatic if we landed someone like Downs in the 2nd and Clark Phillips in the 3rd. Both are 5’10 but high floor players that I think will have long NFL careers.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
They just have to change their thinking and being stubborn if they want to become great at building a championship caliber roster.

Every WR and DB doesn’t need to be 6’2.

I’d be ecstatic if we landed someone like Downs in the 2nd and Clark Phillips in the 3rd. Both are 5’10 but high floor players that I think will have long NFL careers.
Same here. I'm with you on Downs. I almost like him as much as Flowers. He actually had better college stats than Flowers, I believe.

I'm also a fan of Clark Phillips. He has potential to even contribute year 1.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Downs from UNC does nothing for me. He’s a nice slot prospect. I wouldn’t touch him in the first 75-100 picks.

In the hierarchy of smaller receivers I’d go:

Flowers
Addison
Dell (maybe)

Downs/Washington

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Downs from UNC does nothing for me. He’s a nice slot prospect. I wouldn’t touch him in the first 75-100 picks.

In the hierarchy of smaller receivers I’d go:

Flowers
Addison
Dell (maybe)

Downs/Washington
I can see how you don't like him, he's not as flashy. That's why I say he's more "subtle," to describe a football player, whatever that means. But it's possible he could do very well, and even exceed Flowers. But that's probably why you look at him later on, because it's difficult to decipher whether he'll be good in the pros. I'll leave that up to the likes of Will McClay. He seems to have a method of figuring that out. But as far as production in college, and measurables, in terms of the pros, he's everything you want for that type of receiver at that level.

But the way Flowers plays, it's just kind of obvious he'll do better in the pros. He has something instinctually, and with this stride, that matches up well with what NFL teams covet.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Flowers in 1st and this guy in 3rd. I’m down.
I think Losivas is a round 2 candidate, especially if he runs a 4.2 at the combine. I don't really see Princeton as a powerhouse. But I'll take a WR from there with 4.2 speed, and at least try to work with him. Bellichick did it last year with Thorton, although he wasn't very productive his rookie year either.