Zeke 3rd and short nobody is better!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zeke is not a #1 RB anymore. I don’t hate him. And the stats you just listed 1. Aren’t good. 2. Are overall stats and not efficiency stats. Zeke’s efficiency was bad last season.

I see dowdle as a decent backup RB.

The cowboys problem is they have 3, #3 running backs.
We don’t have a number one back. Dowdle is “decent” in a limited role. I don’t want him getting the brunt of the carries and don’t believe he will. Zeke will return to the role he had. One big positive with him is he will be highly motivated to prove people wrong. He knows this may be it for him in the NFL.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This lie continues to be spread. This did not happen in our reality last year. Maybe it occured in Bizarro world.
They showed highlights of him last season with several carries pushing the pile and falling forward. It’s not like he gained almost 650 yards breaking into the open field. He had over 950 all purpose yards which is better than anyone we currently have behind him.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Zeke is really good of you need a yard. One yard.......
....and a cloud of dust. Don't forget the cloud of dust. LOL
Fortunately our OL despite it's youth, may prove better than last year's, that'll help. Especially with Beebe's help! :) The Cowboys are just trying to get through this year till they can draft a good RB next spring. Hey it's hard to rebuild in just 1 year.

triplets_93

Reaction score
Zeke sing was a good deal

No idea why anyone would ***** about this

Nobody is better on short yardage, he is a bartering ram even now

No he won’t hit long runs, that’s not what we need him for
It's the reason the Cowpokes are continually at 3rd and short that bother me.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Zeke sing was a good deal

Nobody is better on short yardage, he is a bartering ram even now

No he won’t hit long runs, that’s not what we need him for
And, further, in a pinch he can be our non-blocking long snapper!

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Good lord, man, get a grip!

We need to, at this juncture of debate over a spent RB, ask, is this why we remain an also-ran because we love some JAGS and can't let go?
There are other options among UDFAs and established workaday backs.
This is why we are to remain a perennial also-ran.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
He’s still good pushing piles and squeezing out a first down. He can still find the endzone from close up. The Pats didn’t want him because they’re rebuilding with young players. Other teams weren’t interested because they probably have a back or two they’re okay with. Aging, declining RBs aren’t a hot commodity. The Cowboys were interested because they lost their top back in free agency and we have nothing at RB. Plus we didn’t draft one which was a surprise to everyone. We’ve had some success with Zeke and his deal was team friendly.
No, he isn't. All the stats show this. He stinks at every aspect of RB because he's old.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, he isn't. All the stats show this. He stinks at every aspect of RB because he's old.
Last time I was watching Zeke, he was strictly getting the yards blocked for him. I did not see any pile pushing or tackle breaking. About the only positive I'm aware of at this point is his blocking.

HungryLion

Reaction score
We don’t have a number one back. Dowdle is “decent” in a limited role. I don’t want him getting the brunt of the carries and don’t believe he will. Zeke will return to the role he had. One big positive with him is he will be highly motivated to prove people wrong. He knows this may be it for him in the NFL.
Right. In an ideal world. Dowdle is like the third RB on a roster. Same goes for Zeke.

The issue is we don’t have a RB worthy of being “the guy” or even worthy of being the #1 option in a committee.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Last time I was watching Zeke, he was strictly getting the yards blocked for him. I did not see any pile pushing or tackle breaking. About the only positive I'm aware of at this point is his blocking.
Not sure it will matter, some people just don't want to "see", but I will try:

0:16 Moved pile 5 yards, 3 defenders
0:24 Moved the pile with 4-5 guys (hard to count that moving pile)
0:40 Couple extra yard there after contact
0:55 No blocking, bounced to edge (you said only gets "yards blocked for him" whatever that means)
1:07 couple extra yards and 3 defenders.

I'll just pause it right there, for now, if you even care enough to watch it...the should either convince you (GREAT!) or not (oh well).

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
roflmao I have hate because I am not excited, too funny., There are a few words I would like to call you in response to you calling me a hater. For some reason calling someone a hater doesnt get you in trouble with the mods here. The few words, although not mean words or too insulting or curse words or anything, probably would make them remove my post. I think these words are very apt and pretty mild, but the rules here are weird. So use your imagination as to what those are. One of them has to do my opinion of your age, the other has to do with whether or not I think you would be accepted at Mensa. The third is oh never mind you probably cant figure out the first two
You're the one that claimed people are "excited" (not true- I haven't seen ONE person "excited")...then insult me...by pretending to not insult me. Alright. It's cool. You didn't ruin my day like you think you did.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This lie continues to be spread. This did not happen in our reality last year. Maybe it occured in Bizarro world.
Not sure it will matter, some people just don't want to "see", but I will try:

0:16 Moved pile 5 yards, 3 defenders
0:24 Moved the pile with 4-5 guys (hard to count that moving pile)
0:40 Couple extra yard there after contact
0:55 No blocking, bounced to edge...good yards on busted blocking play.
1:07 couple extra yards and 3 defenders.

I'll just pause it right there, for now, if you even care enough to watch it...the should either convince you (GREAT!) or not (oh well).

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You sound like a typical casual fan. They showed a film study on NFL Network of Zeke’s carries last season and he still falls forward squeezing out extra yards. He hasn’t lost that.

jwitten82

Reaction score
No guarantees a third round back in a weak RB group will be any good. The player we took was rated much higher than Lloyd and could and up a very good player. This was such a weak RB draft the first back didn’t go off the board until well into the second round which was almost a record. Zeke had a career low in carries last season. He was being rammed between the tackles but still showed he could fall forward for a critical yard or two. I wouldn’t get too fixated on his ypc. Look, I’m certainly not thrilled with the signing but we didn’t have much of a choice by not going after a back in free agency or the draft.
Zekes strength is supposed to be running between the tackles. Zeke was terrible last year and the fact that you cant admit that is crazy. Dowdle could fall forward a couple yards, the fact is Zeke is a below average running back at this point in his career. It's crazy how easily people forget that it almost always felt like a wasted down when he got the ball anywhere outside the goaline the last time he was here.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Zekes strength is supposed to be running between the tackles. Zeke was terrible last year and the fact that you cant admit that is crazy. Dowdle could fall forward a couple yards, the fact is Zeke is a below average running back at this point in his career. It's crazy how easily people forget that it almost always felt like a wasted down when he got the ball anywhere outside the goaline the last time he was here.
He was playing on a bad NE team that had crap at QB. I’m not saying Zeke was great but they showed him pushing a few piles last season. Gaining 642 rushing yards with 3 TDs to go along with 51 catches for just over 300 yards and 2 TDs isn’t terrible. If Dowdle was that good he would have gotten a lot more opportunities. If we bang him between the tackles all day he’ll be worn down by mid season. You honestly believe Zeke won’t help us any? You would rather go with Dowdle, Vaughn and Davis? I can’t think of a worse threesome than that.