Zeke decision coming today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
My guess: 1 game

Try to get him to accept it and drop the legal procedings but NFL can still claim he did bad stuff.

The NFL can't do that. If they drop a suspension for domestic abuse down to 1 game, it means they don't really care about domestic abuse. Women's groups will go nuts. This suspension is for domestic abuse, and only domestic abuse, which means they can't bring up any of Zeke's other off field antics to justify a 1 game suspension. They either rule that he did it and give him 6 games, or they drop it and Zeke gets no punishment.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
And Mara gets what he wanted all along.
...unless Zeke files for and is granted a TRO, which I expect he would do and it would likely be granted. Then, he plays until the case is decided in court. Just my layman's opinion...

jday

Reaction score
I know he shouldnt get anything as far as suspensions go, but I would just take this and get it over with. I dont care what anyone says, this is a distraction to the entire franchise...
For anything else other than DV, I suspect Zeke would accept it. This, however, is not something you can accept. For me, it comes down to rather or not they remove that label. They could say 1 game just because and I think he might take it. But even 1 game for DV and him accepting it is the equivalent of him admitting guilt.

Sydla

Reaction score
The NFL can't do that. If they drop a suspension for domestic abuse down to 1 game, it means they don't really care about domestic abuse. Women's groups will go nuts. This suspension is for domestic abuse, and only domestic abuse, which means they can't bring up any of Zeke's other off field antics to justify a 1 game suspension. They either rule that he did it and give him 6 games, or they drop it and Zeke gets no punishment.

Yep.

It's going to be 6 games, maybe dropped to say 4, where they will admit that there were some mitigating circumstances around some of the things Thompson claimed but still feel confident that they believe Elliott did something wrong.

LandryFan

Reaction score
Been saying this for awhile ...... reduced to 1 game. A clean way to put pressure on Zeke to accept SOME punishment.....close the book.
If they reduce it to 1 game (or any amount of games above zero), Zeke could and should continue fighting it. The league can't go take back the reduction once they give it. Zeke would have nothing to lose by continuing to get it thrown out completely (other than the aggravation/distraction of the fight itself).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The NFL does not use logic.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
For anything else other than DV, I suspect Zeke would accept it. This, however, is not something you can accept. For me, it comes down to rather or not they remove that label. They could say 1 game just because and I think he might take it. But even 1 game for DV and him accepting it is the equivalent of him admitting guilt.
True, but lets be honest here. Zeke will have a really hard time getting this whole suspension vacated. Unless his legal team is telling him he has a very high chance to win this, then he should just take the 1 game and be done with it.

Sydla

Reaction score
If they reduce it to 1 game (or any amount of games above zero), Zeke could and should continue fighting it. The league can't go take back the reduction once they give it. Zeke would have nothing to lose by continuing to get it thrown out completely (other than the aggravation/distraction of the fight itself).

1 game is a lose-lose for the league. It clearly shows, while not actually admitting it, that they screwed up the investigation and conducted a sham of a review while also pissing off all the women's rights and anti-DV groups that they are trying to win back over to their side.

6, maybe 4. I'd be stunned if it were 2 or less games.

erod

Reaction score
...unless Zeke files for and is granted a TRO, which I expect he would do and it would likely be granted. Then, he plays until the case is decided in court. Just my layman's opinion...
There could be back negotiations on an accepted suspension that he wouldn't challenge. Who knows.

robjay04

Reaction score
My guess: 1 game

Try to get him to accept it and drop the legal procedings but NFL can still claim he did bad stuff.

This may go against many on here but I would just take that and move on if the DV language is removed.

Move on with your career and leave this distraction behind...live and learn.

jday

Reaction score
True, but lets be honest here. Zeke will have a really hard time getting this whole suspension vacated. Unless his legal team is telling him he has a very high chance to win this, then he should just take the 1 game and be done with it.
You are thinking about this from the perspective of a fan. As a collective, we all wish this would just go away so we can start talking about football again. From Zeke's perspective, though, this has gotten personal. I don't see either side backing down anytime soon...and rightfully so...at least for Zeke's side. The NFL's not backing down because they are afraid they will appear weak as a result, which is not a very good reason, all things considered.

LandryFan

Reaction score
1 game is a lose-lose for the league. It clearly shows, while not actually admitting it, that they screwed up the investigation and conducted a sham of a review while also pissing off all the women's rights and anti-DV groups that they are trying to win back over to their side.

6, maybe 4. I'd be stunned if it were 2 or less games.
I, too, would be very surprised at a reduction to one game. I was simply commenting on the "what if" of it getting reduced to that. I don't think that will happen. I can see a possible reduction to maybe four games with the league citing "mitigating circumstance", but I would expect Zeke to fight that if it were to occur.

ErikWilliamsHeadSlap

Reaction score
Then Zeke would just have to straighten his personal life out, which he should do anyway.

If he makes the changes he should make, then a second suspension becomes a non-issue.

That is not true. The NFL have demonstrated quite clearly that Zeke or anyone else can be suspended on just an accusation. Basically, no player can be left alone with a female.

LandryFan

Reaction score
There could be back negotiations on an accepted suspension that he wouldn't challenge. Who knows.
You may be right. That said, if he's truly innocent, I would fight it to the bitter end. If he's guilty, to any degree, I'd probably be inclined to accept whatever reduction was being offered.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
This is already a lose-lose for the league. They should vacate it completely and flush this out of the public's consciousness as quickly as possible. The league shouldn't be hitching its authority to this case in any way - and risk losing some of that authority in court.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
You are thinking about this from the perspective of a fan. As a collective, we all wish this would just go away so we can start talking about football again. From Zeke's perspective, though, this has gotten personal. I don't see either side backing down anytime soon...and rightfully so...at least for Zeke's side. The NFL's not backing down because they are afraid they will appear weak as a result, which is not a very good reason, all things considered.
Yeah youre right, but Zeke also needs to look at it from his teammates and organization's perspecitve. Each press conference/interview his teammates and coaches will be asked about this until its over. He will have to miss practices and film sessions to go to court. All of that and the court can still uphold the NFLs decision in the end, and he will miss the game anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.